Ad Blue

Adiebt

Picking up a brand new van on the 25 th , can I “ assume “ that the ad blue tank will be full on delivery day and does the dash have a ad blue tank display like the fuel  tank , thanks . 
it’s  a 2.2 fiat 160bhp . 

Edited by Adiebt

Hi

You should ensure it is filled with fresh new non contaminated AdBlue,  Check out on handover along with all other fluid levels on the checklist. It's just another fluid level you have to worry about , this is the price we have to pay for progress . May I wish you Happy Motorhoming 

Edited by onecal

The only way of being reasonably sure of purchasing a decent quality Adblu is to not purchase from eBay etc. 

we leant from our mistake to cut costs in our minibuses. 
we only purchase now from our local Texaco pump or from motorway services   
not had a problem since. 

Hi

Again this is just another fluid level one has to check . Some vendors do fill tanks as in Diesel and AdBlue  as a goodwill gesture (you are buying new) Make sure you ask on handover how much Diesel/AdBlue are in the tanks  and when filled. If not fill your tanks as normal with good quality diesel and AdBlue, You have paid a lot of money for your new motorhome now is not the time to be skimping buying cheaper fluids that may cause issues later on in the vehicles life , Hope you have years of enjoyment in you new Motorhome

Regards

Again 

As you would with any fluid you put in your vehicle , with due care ,and as related to the OP and in my previous post You ask the vendor as to when the fluids were put in the vehicle and how much are in the tanks 

7 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

Again this is just another fluid level one has to check . Some vendors do fill tanks as in Diesel and AdBlue  as a goodwill gesture (you are buying new) Make sure you ask on handover how much Diesel/AdBlue are in the tanks  and when filled. If not fill your tanks as normal with good quality diesel and AdBlue, You have paid a lot of money for your new motorhome now is not the time to be skimping buying cheaper fluids that may cause issues later on in the vehicles life , Hope you have years of enjoyment in you new Motorhome

Regards

Hi

Not just the mess it causes as most fluids spilt will cause (brake fluid), but also on a lot of vehicles with AdBlue, actually overfilling can sometimes cause issues with the level system and bring up a Mil light and an AdBlue warning light (not all thankfully). No need to overfill but important always to refill to the recommended level with fresh in date, non contaminated Adblue always,as you would with any fluid added to your vehicle be it Adblue/ Oil/Diesel/Brake fluid.Your handbook will always give you the proper operating levels and specifications of all those fluids for your vehicle. 

Edited by onecal

On 11/08/2023 at 17:40, onecal said:

Again 

As you would with any fluid you put in your vehicle , with due care ,and as related to the OP and in my previous post You ask the vendor as to when the fluids were put in the vehicle and how much are in the tanks 

The OP is buying a new vehicle

So he is to ask the vendor whether Fiat put 'contaminated' adblu in it

Thanks for explaining that

Can I ask what contamination you have in mind?

My 2020 Ducato (new) had been delivered with approximately ten liters.

I remember my first refill, it was 9€, at that time something close to nine liters.

10+9 = 19 that more or less should be the quantity hosted by the tank.

After 46,000km on roads from Norway to Greece (motorways, flat country, mountains) I can say that my Ducato (2.3 140CV) shows an average consumption of 2Lts/1,000km.

Up to you to convert in miles.

Max

Hi

Again as in my earlier posts , it's at the discretion of the vendor how much they put in and it's your responsibility to replenish the fluids as you would Diesel/Screen wash/Brake fluid/ AdBlue, etc' You can always of course ask them to fill with Diesel and AdBlue for you. On handover ,you ask the vendor what has been carried (PDI) out on the vehicle and you receive written proof of same a signed checklist. Your purchasing your new vehicle so you must have some faith that the vendor is going to ensure you have proper up to date un-contaminated fluids in your vehicle ,if one has that little faith why buy of that vendor?    Consumption has so many variables mapped in the ECU and with the price of AdBlue on the rise a lot are now concerned that maybe the metering of many vehicles may be a tad high .   Again AdBlue is just another fluid level one has to check and part of the growing expenses we have to pay. 

Regards

Edited by onecal

Geez. Yesterday I could finally find the first Adblue pump overhere (Kastraki, Geece). At a Shell distributor. Should it been considered a good quality provider ?

About cost. 3,300km, 6.61 liters for 9.90€.

The same itinerary approx required 330 liters of fuel, average price 1.7€ = 560€.

Is Adblue somehow impacting the cost of my journey ?

Max

p.s. of course Adblue consumption depends on engine and style of driving.

That's why I pointed out my average itineraries and base vehicle. I confirm one liter every 500km. 

Hi ,

This is something we have to now live with and of course as I have pointed out the mapping of your vehicle along with your style of driving plays a very big part in your consumption of AdBlue .Hope your holiday is going well and many thanks for all the info' you provide here .

Regards

9 hours ago, weldted said:

Depending on your anticipated mileage don't buy a large can as once opened it will degrade over time.

We had this conversation on another thread.

I have put in adblu 2 years after its expiry date with no issues 

The active ingredient is urea - which loses about half of its strength over 30 years.  So your 4 year old adblu might be raising your emissions by 1%.  Nobody can say thats OK.  So they have to say chuck it and buy fresh.  Even thought that might be worse for the environment because of the large amount of fossil fuels burned to produce the fresh adblu

onecal said he has done multiple repairs to vehicles caused by using out of date adblu.  But, despite being asked repeatedly, refused to give any details.  As you can see from this thread he has a politicians habit of ignoring the question he is asked, and answering the question he wanted to be asked 😐