Remis Roof Window Fly Screen

ChasB

I have an Adria Coral that is fitted with two Remis roof windows. The windows open and are fitted with a sun shield and fly screen that close together in the centre. The window at the rear is left open overnight with the fly screen in place. It keeps out flies and mosquitoes; but over the years has become grubby with small patches of mould.

Can anyone give any advice on the methods they use to clean; which I'm sure must be a common problem.

Hi

Cut a strong piece of cardboard and place it between the closed window and the closed fly screen Cover all furniture under and close to same  with towels/plastic and you can use Borax/white vinegar then to clean with a soft cloth taking care not to damage the sometime delicate fly screen Wipe with a clean dry cloth gently  . Wear PPE  When finished remove the wet carboard and discard  and leave the window open for the closed fly screen to dry. Always try to ensure good ventilation to help prevent further mould .Hope this helps 

Regards 

This is a roof window so I will be directly under it, so everything will drip down onto me. It's not so much a problem with mould but more the dirt that has accumulated over the last few years. A vacuum with a keyboard brush on a standard vacuum cleaner has removed the dust but not the dirt. If I could dismantle the roof window and put it on a bench cleaning it would be much easier , but with it over my head is a little tricky!

Ok One uses only a very light amount of liquid and the cardboard helps to absorb the light rubbing of the wet soft cloth. Plastic over the floor and furniture with old towels  always worked for us quite well when used with care Remove of course if needed if you are not comfortable working overhead  and clean or replace Always make sure you do wear PPE

Regards

ChasB my Adria Coral roof windows have a  cassette that includes both the blind & fly screen. It is possible to remove the plastic cover by gently levering with a flat faced screw driver to expose the  slides for both the fly screen & blind. You can unscrew this and remove to your work bench to clean with your favourite chemical cleaners.  I have cleaned mine a few times as the red dust in the outback is a challenge.
I hope you lot in the UK are enjoying the warm weather, where we are camped tonight the forecast is for -2C overnight. My old Autotrail used to cope with low temps much better than the Adria as it had Truma gas heating not evident in the Adria but I digress. Cheers,

Hi,

Yes it is preferable to remove and clean , but for those without the knowledge/tools,so i offered one we have tried and tested many times The cardboard behind the fly screen absorbs the liquid on a soft cloth (car hand mitt works very well) ensuring everything around you  is covered with plastic and towels. Most important that the person or persons doing the job wear full covered PPE. Not that warm up this end of the world I am in Germany at the moment and we had hailstones of about 6" to a foot in places Where as down in Italy we were not able to cope with the heat Hope you are enjoying your touring down there Thanks for sharing all you tips along the way  

Regards

I have just done two of my windows and agree with Geeco that it is much easier to remove the cassette.

My roof cassette and side window cassettes are both removed by undoing a few screws in the cassette plastic mounting, so not difficult. Then the screen roller can be removed easily.

Jeremy

Archived