Bailey motorhomes

Living the life

• Keithl changed the title to Bailey motorhomes

Had a Bailey for ten years, recently chopped it in for a new Burstner Harmony Line.

We loved the Bailey and it gave us 51000 miles of motorhoming pleasure.

The van over the years gave us some problems, habitation door and base vehicle niggles.

if I was to give the whole Bailey package a mark out of ten I would give it a very sound 8/10. 

The Burstner is a class above ( as it should be for the price ), everything just seems that much better.

Would I have a Bailey again if I had a Bailey budget, a resounding yes is the answer. 

Like Adiebt we had a great time with our Bailey and only moved on after 6 years and 70K miles. Unlike Adiebt though personally I wouldn't buy another as the materials and construction mean that you are always at risk of damage through water ingress, for example:
- expanded polystyrene (EPS) insulation throughout that can retain and transmit moisture

- softwood timber battens and edging to the floor

- walls sitting directly on the plywood floor (as opposed to the floor being isolated in an extrusion or jointing system)

- budget rubber framed windows (proud of the walls) relying on a mastic tape seal.

If you're a capable and conscientious owner who can monitor and keep on top of any developing problems then they can be a great van but unfortunately almost every week on the FB Groups sees another disappointed owner with a damp Bailey.

Last week's horror pictures for example, attached.

378772044_10210198612037260_3082733643933606999_n.jpg

378776980_10210198612877281_6130131364340471420_n.jpg

378796798_10210198611197239_8206529983703345036_n.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Living the life said:

We have had a Rapido motorhome and a Burstner  however we are looking to change our Burstner and we have seen a Bailey motorhome which we quite like the layout of to suit what we want to spend and update the year. Although we know our past vans have been of a good quality can anyone give any comments on Bailey Motorhome’s 

The horror stories in Steve's post seem to be a risk with any of the older stick built coachbuilts?

So damp is always the most important thing to look for

But in my limited experience Baileys are no worse than average in that respect

You don't mention the year

Is it a recent one with Alu-Tech ?

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/why-bailey/alu-tech-means-you-can/

Edited by John52

1 hour ago, John52 said:

The horror stories in Steve's post seem to be a risk with any of the older stick built coachbuilts?

So damp is always the most important thing to look for

But in my limited experience Baileys are no worse than average in that respect

You don't mention the year

Is it a recent one with Alu-Tech ?

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/why-bailey/alu-tech-means-you-can/

Nice of you to concede that point John

On 21/09/2023 at 09:02, John52 said:

All Bailey motorhomes are of Alu-Tech construction, John.

Alu-Tech refers only to the jointing system of aluminium extrusions and bolted clamps used between walls and roof. This Alu-Tech box then gets sat upon a plywood, softwood and EPS floor (albeit with GRP lower skin).

The only 2 advances in construction that I'm aware of (and I do keep up to date) are that after the first 'SE' range they extended the outer wall skin down to the level of the lower floor skin so that water running down the walls and getting in behind the skirts would run off to ground rather than into the floor structure. 

Then in c. 2018 they began painting a grey sealer (unknown, epoxy perhaps) onto the outer surface of the softwood floor surround.

• Like 1

My understanding is that Bailey, like Swift, now use plastic sections instead of timber

Which sounds like a gamechanger to me

.. and seems to be confirmed by their sales pitch in the link I posted

Quote: While the replacement of the timber elements in the side and roof panels with a composite plastic internal skeleton

The elements in the roof and walls have always been plastic - although they refer to it as 'reconstituted wood' elsewhere. I think it's actually compressed sawdust in resin and is not a problem.

The elements in the floor remain softwood though and can be seen (to this day) where cutouts such as access hatches for tanks, gas drops etc. have been cut into the floor and also all around the floor edge where strands of rough-sawn timber are visible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve928 said:

Yes I am. This video is Alu-Tech wall panel assembly that pre-dates the motorhomes and at 1:07 they were using "all composite plastic material" even then.

Interesting video thanks

I didn't realise Baileys motorhomes had always had plastic upper frame so I have at least learned something 😄

Edited by John52