Forum Vote for Mods

michele

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-07-23 10:49 PM
caraprof - 2007-07-23 10:09 PM

Why do some of you have to go totally over the top? No one is talking about thought police or over moderation. We'd just like a little moderation that's all.

I contribute to two other forums for different subjects and member mods work well.

This site has become a dog's breakfast with people posting in all the wrong places. If someone posted an obvious 'Chatterbox' subject in 'Motorhome Matters' the mods should move it.

If someone isn't interested in the Chatterbox section and just wants to visit the more serious part of the site they now have to wade through a large number of threads that shouldn't be there.

And as Michele pointed out, at least one member who is highly respected and knowledgeable is so fed up with it that he's considering taking a sabbatical. Do we really want that?

It wouldn't be necessary if the site was being moderated by the people who ought to be doing it, but they're not, which is why some of us would like a new system. You'd think that Warners would jump at the chance. Perhaps they've not even been reading the threads and don't know that this discussion is going on!

That's rich coming from you. We just need a Moderator for your'e posts only I'm afraid.

Why are you being so offensive? I'm making a serious point in what I thought was a sensible discussion.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-07-23 11:20 PM
michele - 2007-07-23 10:56 PM :D tell it like it is pete why don't you :D Well you dont mess do you straight for the jugular . I,m only laughing because I think it should be women who do it because all you men need taking in hand . Your all bloody mad :D there would be know wars in the world if it were down to women ..and they say the female of the species is deadlier than the man :-S
Well Michele he asked for it. What a hypocrite talking about Moderation as thouh we all needed it except him. That's a laugh. (lol)

If you were half as clever as you think you are you'd realise that I'm not talking about moderating the discussions but moderating where the discussions go. All along we've talked about the fact that the threads are in the wrong place, often done by newcomers who don't realise what they're doing. It's rich that you are having a go at me by being blatantly offensive yourself. Now that is genuine hypocrisy.

And where have I ever said that everyone but me needs moderating? You really are becoming a nasty bit of work Peter.

Finally, I haven't personalised this discussion, you have.

Guest caraprof
michele - 2007-07-23 11:28 PM Right thats it enough already ....Mummy Mod here lets leave it before it goes to far PLEASE (!)

Once again Michele, let me remind you whose nastiness began this, and he carries on in another thread. Poor old chap's sulking I think!

Have to agree with Frank on this.

The whole discussion has been based on the Moderater ensuring that the threads are in or moved to the correct place.

Peter, I think that you have either misunderstood the thrust of the original discussion or purposely set out to be slightly controversial.

Guest peter
caraprof - 2007-07-23 11:26 PM
michele - 2007-07-23 10:56 PM :D tell it like it is pete why don't you :D Well you dont mess do you straight for the jugular . I,m only laughing because I think it should be women who do it because all you men need taking in hand . Your all bloody mad :D there would be know wars in the world if it were down to women ..and they say the female of the species is deadlier than the man :-S
Well Michele he asked for it. What a hypocrite talking about Moderation as thouh we all needed it except him. That's a laugh. (lol)

If you were half as clever as you think you are you'd realise that I'm not talking about moderating the discussions but moderating where the discussions go. All along we've talked about the fact that the threads are in the wrong place, often done by newcomers who don't realise what they're doing. It's rich that you are having a go at me by being blatantly offensive yourself. Now that is genuine hypocrisy.

And where have I ever said that everyone but me needs moderating? You really are becoming a nasty bit of work Peter.

Come on frank! you love it really. It gives you the chance to come over all superior and affronted. Anyway nothing personal. I agree that some of the posts are in the wrong place and some form of moderation is needed before it gets out of hand and becomes a free for all. Just to show there is no animosity intended towards you, I would formally like to nominate you to be the forum etiquette moderator.

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-07-23 11:42 PM

Come on frank! you love it really. It gives you the chance to come over all superior and affronted. Anyway nothing personal. I agree that some of the posts are in the wrong place and some form of moderation is needed before it gets out of hand and becomes a free for all. Just to show there is no animosity intended towards you, I would formally like to nominate you to be the forum etiquette moderator.

I'll think about it and write you a memo. By the way, is there one ell or two in B****cks?

Guest peter
caraprof - 2007-07-23 11:46 PM
peter - 2007-07-23 11:42 PM

I'll think about it and write you a memo. By the way, is there one ell or two in B****cks?

So is that a yes then Frank?

I don't see the mods job as policing the site but more of keeping it tidy.

At present most threads where ever they are posted get "Hi Jacked" and usually finish up as a slanging match between a few members.

I and many others are not happy with the situation as it stands at present.

If something is not done very shortly to keep the Motorhoming Matters for genuine motorhome enquiries I for one will vote with my feet.

By all means have the chatter box section, where people can air their views and slag off one another to their hearts content.

I belong to half a dozen motorhome/travel forums. I have been involved with MMM and this forum for many years and have met and made many friends in that time.

I would be very reluctant to leave this forum but the way it is at present it's almost an embarrassment to admit you are a member. All forums go through a bad spell but the present situation is ridiculous.

Don

Guest caraprof

But isn't that what I and one or two others have been arguing for? If you look at my contribution to this debate you will see that it was sensible and uncontroversial.

However, one of the main problems with this site is that, if you have a row with someone, they seem unable to forget it and some time later will have a nasty dig at you, as quite clearly happened above. Perhaps people know that I am the sort who will not take it lying down and do it on purpose but if they do that it's still they who are at fault.

Once again, what I want is member mods who can make sure that threads go into the proper forum and that the serious ones are not polluted by typical 'Chatterbox' or 'Off Topic' debates.

Don,

I think that the overall consensus is that people feel the same.

I know I do I would sincereley not like to see anyone leave especially guys like you . This has only been running for 2 days and alot of forum members have not put their thoughts forward . Some due to holidays some due to thinking there is no need and some due to feeling there is no need.

Others like us it is plain to see are fed up.

You say you would not like to do this due to other commitments and it being above your head ? I do not know about your other commitments but I think like others, that you would be very good at it.

Maybe the fairest way to do this is to let people put their 4 each options the only reason I say 4 each is because if it was only two then there are holidays to cover and the like .

If two people were on holiday perhaps each deputy could step in . That way we get to keep the staus quo, leave this running until friday ..I dont know a fair lenght of time so hopefully people who have not been on get to see it I know what ever we all decide to do you will always upset some.

Finally run a poll of everyones name that has been mentioned for the whole forum to vote for 1 week . Shut that and the over all four higest that have been voted for get offered the job .

If they except good if not move on down the list to the next person.

Obviously Warners may not want to go with any of this but at this point in time they don't seem to have any Mods?...So we will just have to see .

What do people think of that ? ..

Hi, Dave

Totally agree but did it work with these the last time ??

There also appears to be a mixture of things that people want the moderators to do-

Some want the mods just to move the threads into the correct forum

Some want the mods to remove or stop any off topic posts being posted into threads

Some want the mods to stop people attacking one another ??

Some want the Mods to ????? The list goes on and on.

But it dosen't appear that everyone wants all of the above, thats why i raised the points everyone appears to want their own way how can you appoint a moderator when clearly what ever they do will be seen as for or against someone or other. ??

davenewell@home - 2007-07-24 7:43 AM

(assuming my best David Attenborough voice) And here we have a superb example of why moderation is required!

D.

Brian,

I have taken on board what you say but and it is a but ....At the mo we have Mods..if anything goes wrong people ask the mod to step in for what ever reason ie swearing ,wrong topic, off topic, move it , Ban him and the like .

What would be the difference now nothing . The member Mods would not have the power to ban people that would be down to the Over all Mods... I really can not see it being a problem if we all abide by what the forum Mods say and take it as not personal after all most games have rules don't they? enabling people to play .. If it continues like this we will all come unstuck . At weekend 's we would not have to wait until Mondays in hope that the Mod see's it we would just have it moved or whatever by our own in house team ;-) easy peasey.

I understand that what might upset me might not you !

That call's for judgement and a fair one I suppose you have to go with the overall flow

Hi,

It all sounds so simple and if only it would work as you have suggest no one including me could dissagree, but how would this simiple exercise work when the main people who are asking for it to happen can't keep control in this thread e.g. the one that is supposed to sort it out ??

Pick a moderator from within ?? dosen't really bear thinking about does it ??

hope that makes sense,

michele - 2007-07-24 9:49 AM

Brian,

I have taken on board what you say but and it is a but ....At the mo we have Mods..if anything goes wrong people ask the mod to step in for what ever reason ie swearing ,wrong topic, off topic, move it , Ban him and the like .

What would be the difference now nothing . The member Mods would not have the power to ban people that would be down to the Over all Mods... I really can not see it being a problem if we all abide by what the forum Mods say and take it as not personal after all most games have rules don't they? enabling people to play .. If it continues like this we will all come unstuck . At weekend 's we would not have to wait until Mondays in hope that the Mod see's it we would just have it moved or whatever by our own in house team ;-) easy peasey.

I understand that what might upset me might not you !

That call's for judgement and a fair one I suppose you have to go with the overall flow

enodreven - 2007-07-24 9:57 AM

Hi,

It all sounds so simple and if only it would work as you have suggest no one including me could dissagree, but how would this simiple exercise work when the main people who are asking for it to happen can't keep control in this thread e.g. the one that is supposed to sort it out ??

Pick a moderator from within ?? dosen't really bear thinking about does it ??

hope that makes sense,

michele - 2007-07-24 9:49 AM

Brian,

Isn't that just it firstly last night I would not of wanted to butt in as Don say's its not about being the police . People are adult enough also what power did I have NONE. And they know it, true. So pick one within is a little unfair . I take it you meant me ? *-) I would of let them get on with it as long as they were not totaly outrageously slanderous to each other .

I Know if I was in mid flow and someone shut me up I would feel peeved to say the least. ;-)

Well it works well enough on every other forum I use and browse through Brian.

In my opinion, and it is ONLY my opinion, the moderators' job has several aspects:

1, to ensure that threads are in their most suitable places.

2, to try and ensure harmony reigns wherever possible and if two or more members become abusive in open forum to try and mediate so as to bring about a peaceful and mutually acceptable solution.

3, to report to the overall administrator if any members ignore their mediation and continue to break a few simple and obvious rules of decency and decorum.

4, to use sensible discretion in how far "off topic" any thread is allowed to go.

This last one is possibly the hardest to achieve as some threads will drift in a logical progression whereas others will just fly off from the original topic.

As I said, it works well enough on just about every other forum I've looked at. If we don't have moderators the site will descend into anarchy and the more reliable members will drift away, two long serving members have already made clear their intentions to go if something isn't done!

D.

My votes would be :- in no particular order.

Brian K, Don M, Dave (the Body Builder) N, Derreck U, Tony, Mel B(east Yorks), Way2go(for GPS and such like), Frannkia.

This could help beginners like me who put a post re Electric bikes under M/Home matters, when after a few responses realised it should have been in general chatter section - so apologies for that one.

Thai

Guest tc102
I'm sorry, I've done it again. I'd forgotten that my car was taken away when I was admitted here. My doctor says that eventually he'll be able to get me back to just one or two personalities. I think that I've about ten at present but the medicine is helping.

tc102 - 2007-07-24 2:26 PM

I'm sorry, I've done it again. I'd forgotten that my car was taken away when I was admitted here. My doctor says that eventually he'll be able to get me back to just one or two personalities. I think that I've about ten at present but the medicine is helping.

I suppose I should be flattered that you’ve gone to the trouble of creating an account in order to impersonate me Frank, but I find it rather creepy that you’re waiting in the shadows to respond to me, it’s a bit like having a stalker.

May I suggest that you seek immediate psychological help; your obsession with me really isn’t healthy.

Archived