Forum Vote for Mods

michele

Hi, Dave/ Michele

Michele none of what I wrote was directed at you or any other individual and nor is the following so lets keep personalities out of the discussion please.

Dave, I am not saying we don't need any as we already have a moderator ?? what I am saying is that if you read the various posts above everyone appears to have their own idea of what the ?? new moderators will do for THEM ?

My main point is that if a new moderator is appointed they will no doubt upset someone ??

I totally agree with what you are suggesting a moderator should be for and as you have rightly pointed out the last paragraph would be the most difficult,

I personally don't think with the amount of throughput that this site gets together with the nature of some of the users, 1 moderator would be sufficient to cover a weekend or the evenings so therefore you would need in my opinion to appoint probably 2 or 3 and that's where I think you would start to find problems in obtaining a unified standard response

The real problem as i see it is that everyone appears to be talking about other users causing problems and the ?? new moderator would put this right. Is that really whats happening or are we e.g. the people who are part of this discussion, part of the problem also ?? and if we are then surely we don't need more moderators to stop us going wrong as we should be able to put our own house in order or is that to much to ask that we follow a reasonable set of rules ?

Dave Newell - 2007-07-24 10:51 AM

Well it works well enough on every other forum I use and browse through Brian.

In my opinion, and it is ONLY my opinion, the moderators' job has several aspects:

1, to ensure that threads are in their most suitable places.

2, to try and ensure harmony reigns wherever possible and if two or more members become abusive in open forum to try and mediate so as to bring about a peaceful and mutually acceptable solution.

3, to report to the overall administrator if any members ignore their mediation and continue to break a few simple and obvious rules of decency and decorum.

4, to use sensible discretion in how far "off topic" any thread is allowed to go.

This last one is possibly the hardest to achieve as some threads will drift in a logical progression whereas others will just fly off from the original topic.

As I said, it works well enough on just about every other forum I've looked at. If we don't have moderators the site will descend into anarchy and the more reliable members will drift away, two long serving members have already made clear their intentions to go if something isn't done!

D.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Victor Meldrew - 2007-07-24 4:01 PM

tc102 - 2007-07-24 2:26 PM

I'm sorry, I've done it again. I'd forgotten that my car was taken away when I was admitted here. My doctor says that eventually he'll be able to get me back to just one or two personalities. I think that I've about ten at present but the medicine is helping.

I suppose I should be flattered that you’ve gone to the trouble of creating an account in order to impersonate me Frank, but I find it rather creepy that you’re waiting in the shadows to respond to me, it’s a bit like having a stalker.

May I suggest that you seek immediate psychological help; your obsession with me really isn’t healthy.

HANG ON A MINUTE MR FRAUD! TC you stole Franks Victor Meldrew Avatar!

It's now a case of the kettle calling the pot black. It's ok for you to pinch someones identity but if you think that it's done back to you you don't like it and get all upset .........Welcome to the real world my heart bleeds for you. Oop's forgot I think you are paranoid about Frank . Frank is off leading his own life you sad little man He has better things to do.

Run along and play TC

Don't let him distract the thread Michele, just ignore him and his mindless drivel.

Brian, as I've said before, it works exactly as I've described on many other forums and some are just as busy as this one, if not more so. The question of how many is required is very valid and I would suggest probably four to start with.

In my experience as long as the moderators duties and powers are clearly described at the outset they help to keep each other in order. The general membership also then have the facility to report any posts they feel are in the wrong place or members who they feel are being naughty. The mods will usually then discuss, if necessary, the offending posts and if required take the appropriate action.

The same applies to naughty members and they would usually be asked by a mod to calm it down and behave, if they ignore that request then the mods will discuss further action, usually with the administrator who will hold the final decision on what action to take.

D.

I Apologise for replying to the above impersonator.

Basically its all what Dave said Brian .

;-) Also would like to say I,m not the boss we all are If you know what I mean its our forum its what we make it. I just started it to get some feel maybe the members will maybe they won't kind of .

That no way makes me the Indian Chief :-)

Guest caraprof

I'm puzzled by the resistance to this idea. Surely there is no harm in giving it a try? If it helps to stop posting Chatterbox stuff in the technical forums and vice-versa it must be worth it for that alone.

If it doesn't work, fair enough, it's not cost anyone anything. Warners should jump at the chance of having a a paid member of staff freed up to do more productive work.

I reiterate that on the other two forums that I use, on totally different subjects, having the keener members as mods works extremely well.

That's it, I'm out of this debate too! There's no more to be said as far as I'm concerned, we're just going over old ground!

Dave Newell - 2007-07-24 10:51 AM

2, to try and ensure harmony reigns wherever possible and if two or more members become abusive in open forum to try and mediate so as to bring about a peaceful and mutually acceptable solution.

3, to report to the overall administrator if any members ignore their mediation and continue to break a few simple and obvious rules of decency and decorum.

D.

Isn't it ironic? The 'discussion' about moderation appears to be developing into a bun-fight. But that is just my opinion and is not meant to offend anyone *-)

michele - 2007-07-24 5:02 PM

Victor Meldrew - 2007-07-24 4:01 PM

tc102 - 2007-07-24 2:26 PM

I'm sorry, I've done it again. I'd forgotten that my car was taken away when I was admitted here. My doctor says that eventually he'll be able to get me back to just one or two personalities. I think that I've about ten at present but the medicine is helping.

I suppose I should be flattered that you’ve gone to the trouble of creating an account in order to impersonate me Frank, but I find it rather creepy that you’re waiting in the shadows to respond to me, it’s a bit like having a stalker.

May I suggest that you seek immediate psychological help; your obsession with me really isn’t healthy.

HANG ON A MINUTE MR FRAUD! TC you stole Franks Victor Meldrew Avatar!

It's now a case of the kettle calling the pot black. It's ok for you to pinch someones identity but if you think that it's done back to you you don't like it and get all upset .........Welcome to the real world my heart bleeds for you. Oop's forgot I think you are paranoid about Frank . Frank is off leading his own life you sad little man He has better things to do.

Run along and play TC

Oh well done Michelle, I wonder how many have picked up on your satirical genius.

By the way, the real world is the one on the outside of your computer; do you think you might be spending too much time here? Or was that more satire. Bloody brilliant!

Guest caraprof

Ignore him Michele. Instead of his usual sarcasm he is clearly a bit rattled and has probably realised that his stupid interventions and posts designed to trick people in thinking that they are genuine, has become tiresome.

I noticed that his latest silly post about about mounting bikes on the side attracted no response whatsoever. (Except of course from his alter ego.)

Having been on holiday - how refreshing to see the same old faces creating a wind up.

Threads going off topic? - so what! Ever had a conversation in a pub that has to stick to the subject you first started talking about?

I suppose if someone digresses from the subject on a technical thread it might be irksome to some but do we really need the Moddies to have to waste their time policing the whole ruddy forum?

Apart from which I hardly see this Forum as heavy on technical issues!

On the odd occasion that I have posted something on here that somebody else has already on another thread (usually something funny!) you just get a post or PM to inform you. I’ve said "Sorry - missed that!" and no harm done.

May I suggest that those that want a more policed Forum do it themselves via the PM system?

That way those in receipt of such PM's can do what they want with them i.e. take the message on board or bin it and carry on with what they want from the Forum not what anyone else thinks they should be doing.

:-S

Guest caraprof
This thread was back on track until TC101 popped in with a totally fatuous remark about taxing his car! It was debated vigorously as you would expect but I don't recall any real aggro apart from Peter having a little pop at me, which was soon sorted.

In general there isn't a problem with threads drifting away from the original topic as long as any questions posed by the topic starter get answered and the diversion follows some sort of logical path, like it has in the jack handle thread in Motorhome Matters. The problems only arise with going "off topic" when it is a diversion into totally unrelated subject matter, TC's posting on here about taxing his car is actually an excellent example of this.

I think the fact that no moderator or administrator has commented on this thread speaks volumes!

D.

Guest peter

Frank put his teeth in and mumbled

caraprof - 2007-07-25 4:17 PM

This thread was back on track until TC101 popped in with a totally fatuous remark about taxing his car! It was debated vigorously as you would expect but I don't recall any real aggro apart from Peter having a little pop at me, which was soon sorted.

"Having a pop"really? I only replied to your posts critisising those that didn't think moderation was required. Especially as you are frquently one of the principal protagonists in any fracas. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone" springs to mind.

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-07-25 10:17 PM Frank put his teeth in and mumbled
caraprof - 2007-07-25 4:17 PM This thread was back on track until TC101 popped in with a totally fatuous remark about taxing his car! It was debated vigorously as you would expect but I don't recall any real aggro apart from Peter having a little pop at me, which was soon sorted.
"Having a pop"really? I only replied to your posts critisising those that didn't think moderation was required. Especially as you are frquently one of the principal protagonists in any fracas. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone" springs to mind.

I ask anyone to go back and read the thread and notice who first personalised it by two extremely insulting posts about me! Michele's immediate comment was 'Why don't you go for the jugular Peter?'

My only criticism was not about anyone's opinion on the subject of moderation, you are welcome to your views. My 'criticism' as you call it was that talking about member mods being the 'thought police' was somewhat over the top.

I insulted no one and made no personal comments about you or anyone. You on the other hand were appallingly rude!

So before anyone else goes on about me defending myself, please go back a little and read what Peter said.

I shall always defend myself against comments like his!

Guest peter
Me-thinks he doth protest too much. Have you taken the vow Frank?. What with all this piousness and protestation of innocence. :D

Archived