Suitable STARTER battery for a 2.3 Fiat Ducato 2019.

Lenard

Hi everyone,

I want to replace My starter battery on the 2019 Fiat Ducato, It has to be a Sealed wet acid, 353x175x190h (not AGM or Gel), original one is working ok, but is only 75amp and I am thinking a spell of cold frosty weather may prove to much, if left standing for to long,

Anyone know of a suitable replacement 95 to 100 amp, Yuasa, Varta, Exide or Bosch, C/W reference No's would be a great help. I have been on the Tayna Web site and ask for help in choosing, they E-mailed me some choices, but then E-mailed again saying oh no, they are AGM types!.  In comparing battery makes there seems to be a lot of different letters and numbers in their spec's anyone know what they mean!.

Cheers Lenard (Em)   

Hi Lenard,

in addition to the larger ah size you need to try and get a better CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating. I have just replaced my starter battery (an older vehicle than yours but still likely to be the same 019 size) and bought a Yuasa 5000 Silver EFB (code HSB019) which is 100ah and has a CCA of 900A.

David

Lenard's starter battery was discussed here (at some length) in October.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/63333-starter-battery/#comment-713402

The VARTA battery shown in this Tayna advert

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/h3/

is what I chose when I replaced my 2015 Rapido's original FIAMM (Sevel-marked) starter-battery.

There are plenty of alternatives, like the Yuasa YBX5019 battery David Lloyd chose

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5019/

Incidentally, the YBX5019 is a SMF (Sealed Maintenance Free) battery, not an EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery).

The Yuasa EFB dimensional equivalent would be the YBX7019

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx7019/

and could be used instead, but I'm not sure it would provide any extra benefits if the vehicle does not have a Start/Stop system.

(A potential snag with Yuasa batteries is that there is no way of identifying how 'new' a new Yuasa battery actually is. Conversely, VARTA batteries carry an easily-read date of manufacture on the top surface of their casing.)

Like Derek I fitted a Varta H3 to my Fiat 2.8jtd a few years ago. This was also chosen for the Cold Cranking Amperes (CCA) rating.

I have previously used 038 sized batteries supplied by ABS (Advanced Battery Supplies) on our lawn tractor, and have been satisfied with there performance.  After considerable research, I fitted two of their XD27 dual purpose batteries, in the habitation role on my PVC. These have a CCA rating of 1000A each.

For a 019 size battery the ABS Advanced 019XD has a CCA of 900A, which makes it worth considering. Price is competitive, but be aware that these are probably relabelled batteries.  I have recently fitted a slightly smaller battery (096XD) to our Saab 1.9TTid.  Too soon to see how long it lasts. Here is a link to the ABS 019XD battery. These batteries can be purchased from ABS on Ebay.

Another battery with a high CCA rating is the Exide EA1000 from Tayna. See here. Confirm that this meets your requirements before ordering. It is on my short list for future Ducato starter battery.

Alan

Thank you,  David L, RayC,  Derek, AlanB and Deneb,

The battery that was fitted to the M/H new is a Exide E100017TE with a Fiat sticker, which wasn't visible until I had cause to take it out and give a really good charge, It doesn't get charged on hook up, because the Leisure battery is a AGM version.  It is now at least 5 years old and as coped very well to date but I feel with the cold weather upon us a change would be wise.

With the choices you have given me I can proceed with more confidence. I will come back and post which one I went for.  (Non were mention by Tayna)

Ps, Is there a 12 volt Regulator that can cope with two different battery types on the market?. I did get a Battery Master, but as yet not fitted.

Cheers   Lenard. 

If asked Tayna may recommend a battery that they receive most profit on but I have bought my leisure and engine batteries from them over recent years using advice from this forum.

my motorhome solar regulator only charges the leisure side, the 240v charger can be switched at the control panel to charge the engine battery as an option but I am seriously considering fitting a battery master rather than change the regulator

David. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the delay in revealing which battery I went for. After much thought I decided on the Yuasa Silver 100 ah. Mainly because the existing leisure battery is also a Yuasa, although a AGM type. 

Wishing you all a Happy Xmas and New Year.

Regards Lenard.