Is a motorhome warranty only applicable to first buyer?

ColinM50

Bought a 2022 Chausson in Sept and have a broken hab door handle. As the saying goes, "it just came off in my hand".

Contacted a Chausson dealer (I didn't buy from an approved Chausson dealer) who tells me the new handle is £158 + VAT and 2 hours labour @ £75 hr to undo 2 screws and fit it. I asked the dealer if it's a warranty item and they tell me warranty's not transferable. Any suggestions?

I would contact the dealer whom supplied the motorhome, hopefully not Hayes leisure ( closed the business) failing that contact Chausson directly or the Uk representative. 
when I sold my LeVoyageur to a private buyer they had several jobs done under warranty here in the Uk and France by the manufacturer. 

Manufacturers' warranties are normally transferable to new owners but you would really need to see what the actual warranty stipulates. There is also normally a notification process that needs to be undertaken when you purchase the vehicle. Did your dealer/vendor do this?

I can't find on-line the 'official' terms and conditions of the current Chausson motorhome warranty. This seems to be the most detailed explanation, but there is no mention of 'transferability'.

https://www.tcmotorhomes.com/motorhome-maintenance/

I'd expect Chausson's 2-years habitation warranty to be transferable, though the change of ownership would undoubtedly need to be made known to Chausson and recorded in their records, and - as Colin did not buy his 2022 motorhome from a Chausson dealership - it's more than likely that those actions did not occur.

Even if ownership of the Chausson motorhome had been transferred to Colin, there's no set-in-stone obligation for a UK Chausson dealer to be agree to carry out under-warranty repairs to a vehicle they did not sell. Many dealerships are happy to do this, but some will not. Again, Colin having bought from a non-Chausson dealership, will have muddied the waters.

As has been advised, Colin should carefully check the Chausson warranty terms and conditions and - if he needs further guidance - get in touch with Chausson.

https://www.motorhomes-chausson.co.uk/contact-us/

It's not difficult for vehicle ownership-transfer to slip through the net. In 2022 I bought a 1-year-old Hyundai car from a Hyundai dealership that had sold the car to its first owner. Not long after purchase, and unconnected with the Hyundai's 5-year warranty, I discovered that Hyundai's records had not been amended to record that I now owned the vehicle. This omission was rectified quite easily, but could have caused problems if under-warranty work had been needed.