Removing Rapido Hab Door Trim

stevec176

7 hours ago, stevec176 said:

I need to remove the hab door trim as the lower lock cam return spring has broken, does anyone know how I remove the trim please.

I helped a friend once with one very similar. If you push the black trim back are there screws all the way round?

20231206_114149.thumb.jpg.fa808bfabc683d1700488942db077c21.jpgThanks. I can see what's probably the spring but not enough space to do anything. As you can see the cam doesn't retract so I have to remember to push it in before closing the door.

The black border is a rubber seal so I'll have a look tomorrow.

Edited by stevec176

Hi

Yes you can replace them with a tool without removal . If you do remove be very careful not to damage the plastic trim as it's very easily damaged. Replace both springs if you go to the bother of removing the trim as the top one may also let go from wear and tear 

Regards 

stevec176

I think your motorhome is a 2016 Rapido 665F.

On-line images of that model suggest that the habitation door was either 'solid' or had a window in it, but it's clear from your 1st photo that your Rapido's door is window-less and it's probable that the door is a Hartal product (that was certainly the case with my 2015 Rapido 640F)

Hartal doors come in many shapes, sizes and designs, but on-line 'received wisdom' seems to be that the inner moulding of earlier doors may have been retained (as rayc has said) by screws covered by the seal around the door's perimeter, while the inner moulding of more recent Hartal doors is held in position using very strong 'velcro'.

These discussions may help

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/rapido-hartal-door-trim-removal.147962/

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rapido-640-anybody-know-how-to-remove-internal-panel-of-habitation-door.245946/

Hi 

You really need to be careful in removing the plastic trim and as Derek advised some of them (not all are held with velcro) at different points throughout making it a little difficult to remove sometime without damaging if you have no experience in removing of same They can be expensive . I have found making the slots at the locking pins just a little larger you can use a tool (see attached) to replace the springs without having to remove all the trim and attachments that may be attached to some doors . Hope this helps you out 

Regards 

Small spring  motorhome door pliers .jpg

This YouTube video describes how to remove the inner panel of the habitation door of a 2011  Delthleffs Globebus T1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN9-Q__Plt0

I'm not sure whether the method shown would apply to the door of a 2016 Rapido, but it does demonstrate the 'prising off' approach.

This 2018 MHFun forum thread did relate to a Rapido door and the final posting may help. 

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rapido-habitation-door.182130/

Hi

Sadly some become very brittle and break easily on removal I have also found some to be glued (maybe from previous removal?) This can cause damage very easily. Some are ok if just screws and universal push fasteners and velcro are used . The making of the locking pins slots a little larger to accommodate the tool is not really noticeable and makes it quick and prevents breakage of the door trim   

Regards

onecal

I think the locking mechanisms fitted to Steve's 2016 Rapido's habitation door differ from the photo in your first posting above.

The lock may be a FAP Firenze unit (as also fitted by Hymer) and - if that's the case - it will look like this

image.png.43b59a44c7f95ca70eb0533d9fc50c51.png

with the return-spring looking like this

image.png.b769fae6f8fb07c03a6551af7daea8fc.png

There are on-line comments about return-spring breakage with this FAP lock, saying that obtaining replacement springs had proved impossible (with one motorhome owner fabricating the spring himself).

It might be worth Steve contacting a friendly Rapido agent about this, as it's quite possible this is a known issue and the agent might be prepared to say how they access the lock mechanism and whether they can provide a new spring.

This (poor resolution) image shows the lock mechanism in place on a habitation door (not a Rapido door) 

image.jpeg.04259875798b312ae39a88626f3f4b28.jpeg

and this image shows the mechanism with the position of the return-spring circled in red.

image.jpeg.2119909d0de16e09e146eb00fbde403f.jpeg

Hi

Yes  the springs do let go sometimes, but not all , some last for years . Indeed this spring is different from the photo I have provided and gives common problems. I hope my photo and tool helps those with these coil /spiral springs and aids replacement without removing the fragile trim as per my photo . I asked in my previous post could he see the spring ? as the coil /spiral one is almost impossible to see at the rear of the unit.The straight spring you now show is also replaceable without removal of the trim as it should be visible , You can make the slot a little bigger which aids refitting and makes future fitting much simpler.  I think yes, it may be a good idea to contact a Rapido agent for available springs if needed, These springs are easily made and replaced thankfully with a little ingenuity . Indeed I have come across this type of spring many times replaced with rubber bands until the springs were made or purchased for replacement 

Hope this helps

Regards 

Edited by onecal

Have been out to have another look and can't see any screws holding the panel on and the gap for the latch doesn't leave any space for access. I've contacted my dealer for advice an a quote, just waiting for their response before attempting to remove the panel. Thanks for info and advice. 

Hi

You can make the access slot a little bigger on the top and bottom These springs then can be removed . They are a little fiddly to replace but with patience they can be refitted . Good idea to maybe contact your dealer if you are not quite  sure how to do the job and get a quote ,Just take care removing the panel (trim card) if you do attempt to remove  as some of the panels become very fragile with age

Regards

9 hours ago, onecal said:

You can make the access slot a little bigger on the top and bottom These springs then can be removed . They are a little fiddly to replace but with patience they can be refitted.

Might be OK if the motorhome owner has the determination and skill of Leonid Rogozov, but people who have had the broken return-spring problem with the FAP mechanism used on Hartalight doors have mentioned that - even with the door-trim removed - fitting a new spring is tricky as it's retained on its spindle with a spring washer.

Next time you manage to do it without removing the door-trim, photos (or preferably a video) would be invaluable.

Hi Derek

9 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

determination and skill of Leonid Rogozov

Really, i suppose you may be right, that's why I stated "with patience" and a little ingenuity they are indeed replicable without removing the trim, 

Sometimes a little knowhow, patience and ingenuity is all that's needed, if one hasn't as you say "got the determination" then bring it to someone who has and hopefully will do no damage to your door as the trim can break with age as it becomes very brittle. Remember always replace both of the springs 

Hope this helps 

Regards

Once I hear back from the dealer and depending on how much they'll charge I'll have a much better idea of my options. The weather isn't really fit to be stripping the door down at the moment and as I'm going to be away for a while there's no rush. Thanks for the information. Let you know how things go.

Adverts for the 2-point locking mechanisms of the "Hartalight" habitation-area doors fitted to some Swift and Bailey motorhomes (and, I think, to Rapido models) indicate that the top and bottom mechanisms are different (image below)

image.jpeg.1ec2aa6d04e2a34e2a3ab406d2dc1449.jpeg

While Swift and Bailey motorhomes will have their habitation-area doors on the UK nearside, Rapido motorhome doors will be on the UK offside. I don't what implications this might have if a complete replacement locking mechanism were needed, nor whether the return-springs are identical in all cases, but it's clearly something to bear in mind.

There are several discussions on French motorhome forums about this Hartal habitation door return-spring breakage issue (Rapido-related example here)

http://forum-camping-car.fr/forum/83742/serrure-cellule-rapido-640.html?discussionID=7716

Advice is always that - if the spring breaks - it is unavailable as a separate part, leaving the options as either to DIY a replacement from piano wire, or to obtain a complete locking mechanism.

In one French forum thread a long posting described in detail how the motorhome owner had removed the door's inner trim-panel. Images of the stages involved were provided (I couldn't access them) but removal clearly involved levering off the panel with a suitable 'spatula' and it was emphasised that this process was not easy and needed considerable care.

Indeed the springs may be hard to source but quite easily made as are the spiral ones on other doors fitted to motorhomes. Also on many forums they claim they cannot be obtained separately or indeed made . They are correct about one aspect of replacing the broken springs, is the door trim on quite a few as the get older and brittle break quite easily. So like any job experience and care is needed  

Regards

Yes well saving the cost of damaging a door trim and peace of mind it may be worth it In the meantime on that model . In the meantime if you have a piece of bedding/seat foam you an jam it in behind the bad lock This helps it to close It may just work once or a few times before you need to jam in another and another. Pieces are easy to retrieved on removal of panel

Glad we could all help 

Wishing you and yours a Happy Christmas and New Year  

Regards