Hymer Exsis Strange 240v issue [EBL29/LT95]

Any electrical gurus out there?

As there's not been much Solar input to charge my batteries recently, I thought I'd plug in to the mains for a few hours to top up.

Once plugged in there was no 240v icon showing on the panel, so assuming there was a supply fault I checked the lead and connections - all seemed ok.

So I plugged in a few 240v appliances [and whacked on the fridge and Truma heating to check] and have found that everything is actually working on 240v - with perhaps one exception, the EBL 29 does not appear to be charging the batteries. Typically we are now experiencing the first sunshine for weeks and the solar is doing its bit!

I'm going to have to wait until it's dark to confirm that the EBL is not charging the batteries.

So, to summarise - I have 240v supply, and appliances working, but no icon showing on the LT95 panel as mains being connected.

I potentially have an issue with the EBL not charging the batteries when on EHU.

Surely it would be a more than a coincidence if the two weren't in some way linked

Any pointers gratefully received. 

The 240v icon is actually a 'charger on' one.  It is an output from the EBL which indicates that the charger has an output -  and therefore there must be  a 240v input.

I have attached part of the schematic drawing of my EBL 271. The 'Mains indicator' output to the panel is on Block 8 pin 6. This comes from the output of the battery charger pin A7 / PCB pin A10.

EBL.jpg

Edited by rayc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info rayc - very useful indeed!

Especially the 'charger on' explanation, seems a weird arrangement.

I looks like its been back to Apuljack for repairs before, judging by a sticker I've found on the unit.

TBH - It's not a major issue for me, as my solar normally keeps both batteries topped up [they weren't really that low even given the recent awful weather] strange that its just given up the ghost though.

I think with our normal fair weather usage it won't really be a problem.

Thanks again for your help

3 hours ago, rayc said:

I presume you have checked the power at the ebl mains in?

Good shout.

Not yet -  but I think I'll wait for my son to get back from NZ, he's a marine engineer and I will get him to go right through the whole system for me.

As an option, I have considered adding another charger - something like a Victron Blue Smart which would give me the option of going Lithium at some point in the future, but truth is we seldom use EHU anyway!

Nonetheless, I'd like to put it right if possible.

11 hours ago, Globebuster1 said:

Good shout.

Not yet -  but I think I'll wait for my son to get back from NZ, he's a marine engineer and I will get him to go right through the whole system for me.

The mains input is a kettle lead that plugs into the EBL front panel. Is it firmly in place?

Morning Ray,

Yes, I checked that yesterday pulled it out and reinserted.

It's clearly been repaired before, and when I first purchased it there was a dodgy connection on the EBL [charging to LB from alternator]

I will report back any findings after my son gets back and gives it the once-over

Thanks for all the input to date chaps 

• 1 month later...

Good morning all.

Further to my last post - 

I've decided the best way forward will be to spend the money on a new Victron charger, which will actually cost less than the EBL repair [around £130] Everything else functions via the EBL correctly, so it's just a charger fault.

My reasoning being, the current EBL is limited in capability to charge different types of battery - in fact it's not really suited to the factory AGM set up! So going the Victron route will enable me to have a wider choice of replacement LB going forward - and will charge my current AGM correctly. Added bonus of a phone app for monitoring too.

I'm thinking I would wire this entirely separately to the EBL [seems the most popular option on other forums] so if I remove the 240v kettle plug and EBL charger fuse I guess I could then use that 240v {KP] live feed to power the Victron? Then run new cables to the LB.

The Victron will fit nicely under the seat base behind the EBL with plenty of ventilation.

We seldom use an EHU anyway, and not over reliant on a mains charger, the solar always seems to keep us topped up - even throughout winter.

I understand that this Victron option won't be charging the engine battery, but the dual solar arrangement takes care of that, and I can vary the input between batteries if necessary.

Do you think this is a viable way to proceed?