Caravan Club

Grumpyman

Why do they need to sponsor any sort of sport or anything actually,  surely they are sufficiently well known not to waste our money advertising. The money we pay should be going into the club and if they have more money than they need then the price of their sites should be reduced.

One main reason to sponsor is to be given tickets for events. 
these will of course go to management. 
I used to sponsor a football team, the only reason being my son and his best friend were in the team.

im amazed and was completely unaware of monies being spent. No wonder prices are so high. 
bye bye Caravan & MH club. 
members since 2002 

I’m not sure the decision makers at CAMC read any of the forums but, even if someone does, it may be a good idea to express a view directly to them as to the reasons why (especially since some of us have been members for a very long time) which should help to get this message across.

Letters to the Chairman perhaps?

David

They also sponsor ROKIT  MB motorsports and their driver Jake hill, this money has to come from somewhere and it doesn’t take a genius to work out X amount of site fees paid by members is being squandered 

Just reading the clubs Financial report in the December magazine, evidently there was a £5.3m overall surplus in 2022 and £48m closing cash down 10% year on year from the levels in 2021 so how come they can afford to give it away. Obviously just supporting the club and it's members wont get an OBE, you must be seen supporting charitable concerns. 

32 minutes ago, stevec176 said:

Just reading the clubs Financial report in the December magazine, evidently there was a £5.3m overall surplus in 2022 and £48m closing cash down 10% year on year from the levels in 2021 so how come they can afford to give it away. Obviously just supporting the club and it's members wont get an OBE, you must be seen supporting charitable concerns. 

In the light of recent revelations ref the Post Office, it might be relevant to ask what bonuses the directors received? 

My CAMC membership auto-renewed on 2/1/24 at £63. Of all the various clubs, associations, subscriptions etc. that I hold or are a member of I cannot think of another that gives no warning of auto-renewal. I would have given it serious consideration this year as we rarely use our membership; last year I recall we had only 3 nights on a club site.

So the direct debit has just been cancelled (I could no find no way to turn off auto-renewal in my CAMC account) and this will be our final year as members.

>> Quote: "Did l imagine that on Thursday night the caravan club sponsored sport on TNT. If so they lost one member".Grumpyman 

Yes, that was another nail in the coffin. For example, after 30+ years banking with Barclays we left as soon as they sponsored UK football - clearly these organisations must see these things as good for the business but for me it's a reason to ditch them.

I have to say that I don't feel overexercised by this.

The CAMC is a business and it must do what it sees fit to be a successful business where profits are not distributed but used within the business. If members, as shareholders, have issues, they can raise them at AGMs and refuse to vote for the Directors. In the meantime, the Directors must be allowed to get on with managing it.

• Like 1

In his original posting on the evening of Saturday 13 January Grumpyman said

Did l imagine that on Thursday night the caravan club sponsored sport on TNT

Well, did he imagine it? If not, what was the TNT Sports programme on Thursday night that the CAMC sponsored and at what time?

I've looked at the Radio Times listing of TNT Sports programmes scheduled for 11 January (not that the listings can be 100% trusted) but I can't see anything that might have encouraged the CAMC to provide  sponsorship for except possibly a 1-hour 'Fishing' programme at 8.30pm on TNT Sports 3.

And (for what it's worth)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/club-talk/club-membership/sponsorship/?er=P850827

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

In his original posting on the evening of Saturday 13 January Grumpyman said

Did l imagine that on Thursday night the caravan club sponsored sport on TNT

Well, did he imagine it? If not, what was the TNT Sports programme on Thursday night that the CAMC sponsored and at what time?

I've looked at the Radio Times listing of TNT Sports programmes scheduled for 11 January (not that the listings can be 100% trusted) but I can't see anything that might have encouraged the CAMC to provide  sponsorship for except possibly a 1-hour 'Fishing' programme at 8.30pm on TNT Sports 3.

And (for what it's worth)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/club-talk/club-membership/sponsorship/?er=P850827

From "The Caravan & Motorhome Club" Press releases .....

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media-centre/press-releases/?p=8

Midway down LHS, sponsoring Rokit MB Motorsport and Surfing England, no mention of TNT though?

Jeremy

OK, so it seems he might have imagined it but the question is still why is the club giving money away and then telling us prices need to go up to cover costs. If the club is loosing money it's not because there aren't enough potential members out there it's because the fees are getting too high.

I could not agree more with stevec176 i don't understand how the say fees need to go up but give money away i thought the CAMC was for there for members but it would seem not. Maybe its time to seriously think about leaving after 25 years in the club it would be a shame but they seem to be taking the micky.

12 hours ago, crocs said:

I have to say that I don't feel overexercised by this.

The CAMC is a business and it must do what it sees fit to be a successful business where profits are not distributed but used within the business. If members, as shareholders, have issues, they can raise them at AGMs and refuse to vote for the Directors. In the meantime, the Directors must be allowed to get on with managing it.

I simply can’t agree. The CAMC is not a business and is not there to make profits. In its own words it is a club for members run by members and they are not ‘shareholders’ in the true sense of the word. I do agree that it should be run in a business like way and that is to oversee the operation in a way that maximises the benefit to members. My belief is that those managing the Club in a day to day basis probably see themselves as running a business but do not see the distinction.

David

33 minutes ago, david lloyd said:

I simply can’t agree. The CAMC is not a business and is not there to make profits. In its own words it is a club for members run by members and they are not ‘shareholders’ in the true sense of the word. I do agree that it should be run in a business like way and that is to oversee the operation in a way that maximises the benefit to members. My belief is that those managing the Club in a day to day basis probably see themselves as running a business but do not see the distinction.

David

Each to their own view. But note that I did not say CAMC was there to make profits.

3 hours ago, laimeduck said:

From "The Caravan & Motorhome Club" Press releases .....

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media-centre/press-releases/?p=8

Midway down LHS, sponsoring Rokit MB Motorsport and Surfing England, no mention of TNT though?

Jeremy

The CAMC Press releases webpage that Jeremy provides a link to relates to 2022.

Clicking on the Read more footnote of each of the two entries mentioned y will display the following comment (motorsport entry)

Harvey Alexander, Director of Marketing and Membership Services at the Caravan and Motorhome Club said, "The BTCC enjoys a loyal and passionate fanbase which goes hand in hand with our membership community. Race fans can enjoy every moment of the action while having all of their leisure vehicle home comforts with them. Partnering with ROKiT MB Motorsport, we're excited for another season of thrilling racing and playing a part in one of the most exciting prospects on the grid.  We wish Jake Hill all the best for the 2022 season."

and (surfing entry)

Brian Morgan, Head of Communications and Events at the Caravan and Motorhome Club said, “The Caravan and Motorhome Club’s members are a community of intrepid adventurers who embrace the outdoor lifestyle and all the benefits it brings and we are proud to support Surfing England.  We are the No.1 rated touring club in the UK and operate the largest number of top-quality campsites set in beautiful and scenic locations in the UK and work with over 340 campsites in Europe - many close by to some of the best surfing venues.”

Not sure if this is a sign of the times. Just arrived at York Rowntree Park site - visited many many times over the years winter and summer. It has certainly got more and more difficult to get a pitch here at any sort of short notice since Covid drove more people to access camping and caravanning so I was a little surprised that we could even get in when I booked just before New Year.

The site is perhaps only 1/3rd full at 14.00 hours and for the first time ever I see a sign outside advising people arriving they can stay even longer as they still have pitches available.

This is one of THE most popular sites in the network - time will tell if it does fill up during the week but, for now, it’s a rare sight to see so many empty pitches.

David

From the 'club' website -

Caravan and Motorhome Club is a trading name of The Caravan Club Limited, registered in England and Wales no. 00646027. Registered address: East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 1UA. The Caravan Club Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (no. 311890) for general insurance and credit activities.

Without going into the legal definitions it has always been my view that a genuine 'club' is run by it's members for it's members benefit in a non profit making manner.

In which case the caravan club is a company not a club and has always had it's own agenda.

With the notable exception of a few wardens/site managers in days long gone we never did find this company's sites and addiction to pre booking - even THSs - welcoming or friendly and we left many years ago when they forced everyone to pay for EHU whether they wanted it or not.

I can see the attraction for those that like their kind of sites but I can also understand the distaste for those that do not!

• Like 1

Think you are absolutely right Rich - however, being a ‘Company Limited by Garantee’ is more to do with protecting the elected officers (directors) than being a ‘business’.

As an example, my local model railway club was growing so fast that even with moderate (by most standards) commitment to outgoings such as rent, rates, utilities etc. it became necessary to register it as a ‘Company Limited by guarantee’ to ensure the volunteer, elected officers were not put in a compromising position should the Club fail in the future. if that were to happen the principle officers would only be liable for their initial £1 investment in the ‘company’.

The Club remains in a healthy financial position despite its limited membership to the point where, since its registration with Companies House some 13 years ago, it has not been necessary to raise membership fees from the level set at that time.

This is by no means an unusual way for membership clubs to operate and, in my opinion, remains the way the Caravan and Motorhome Club Ltd should be operating.

David

Edited by david lloyd

Fair enough David!

I am no expert on these things but from my perspective some of the actions and attitudes displayed by the CC (as it was called before it laundered it's image to CMC) do not appear to be in it's members interest - or is it only nomadic style Motorhomers who only need the occasional short stay who dislike this 'club' that was built around, and still seems to mainly cater for tuggers?

10 hours ago, Tracker said:

Fair enough David!

I am no expert on these things but from my perspective some of the actions and attitudes displayed by the CC (as it was called before it laundered it's image to CMC) do not appear to be in it's members interest - or is it only nomadic style Motorhomers who only need the occasional short stay who dislike this 'club' that was built around, and still seems to mainly cater for tuggers?

Think your perception is spot on Rich. A clear example of how the Club could really benefit motorhomers in particular is to invest in creating an aire de service adjoining the sites just for nomadic motorhomers and even install LPG dispensing pumps (many sites already use bulk LPG to heat facilities) for those with bulk tanks. Even businesses like dealerships realise the business case for doing so. Instead, the Club has stopped stocking even bottled gas at many sites - this was a benefit organised and operated by the site wardens rather than the Club so I am unclear what the motivation for that was? Health and Safety? 

The aire proposal runs counter to their main objective of filling every available pitch with caravans or Motorhomes and charging as high a price as the market will stand.

It seems though, that even this strategy may not be working for either of the main clubs. I received a code from CAMC for a free night stay if booked before 31 December last year so my four night stay at York is only £115 instead of a mighty £154. And, as I mention above the site is only half full. Both clubs are offering up to 40% discounts for things like midweek stays etc so why the sudden clamour to sell pitches?

As you may gather, my personal view is running the enterprise as a business is nit working as well as running it as a club for members by members.

David