Electric bike insurance

laimeduck

At present we have our bikes covered under our Household insurance with Aviva which includes liability and use in Europe. We carry our two bikes in our Benimar. Aviva are discontinuing this policy and we are finding it difficult to get equivalent cover.

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Thanks Jeremy

Jeremy . Have a look at "cycling UK" see if its worth joining for their insurance. They cover bikes up to £15000.And they give you third party cover.

Brian B.

Edited by thebishbus
to add
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Basil said:

Ours are covered under our house insurance with LV, so far they have been consistently less costly than others at every renewal.

Bas

Basil thanks ..... but I don't think that includes liability cover? It's just theft away from home as far as I can see from their website.

4 hours ago, thebishbus said:

Jeremy . Have a look at "cycling UK" see if its worth joining for their insurance. They cover bikes up to £15000.And they give you third party cover.

Brian B.

Brian thanks - yes that is a possible, but we still need the buildings cover, so that is an additional £63/84 pa.

My wife has just found a buildings policy with MBNA which appears to cover the bikes plus liability for about £90

If it looks OK after a bit of research we'll probably go with them.

Jeremy 

Just another angle you might want to consider.

The insurance companies will typically want you to reduce the risk to them by insisting you use a Sold Secure lock.

I'd suggest you should be using one of these anyway when out and about. I have the highly regarded Litelock X1 which is extremely resistant to attack by angle grinders. Another good one is the Hiplok. Both were initially developed for motorbikes.Once you are using one of these I recon the change of theft is massively reduced as most thefts in the know and armed with said angle grinder will just look elsewhere. I also maximise my use of the X1 by using it on the motorhome as another physical deterrant when not on the bikes. I therefore don't insure mine and taken the view the savings in the premiums have paid for the lock. Not for everyone but logic works for me.