cam belt replacement

Herald "Insignia" motorhomes were  produced after Herald went bust in the mid-1990s and the Herald name was taken over by the Explorer Group that already owned the Compass brand-name. Insignia models  married the body and internal layout of certain Compass-branded motorhomes to a Ford rear-wheel-drive chassis with a 2.5litre 4-cylinder motor.

I owned a Herald Templar motorhome from 1999 until 2004 and that model had the same Ford 2.5litre motors as Insignias. Manual-transmission Insignias had a turbocharged motor (100PS) but, if I remember correctly, automatic-transmission versions were always built with a normally-aspirated (70PS/76PS) motor. As the performance of automatic-transmission Heralds with the latter motor was pretty lack-lustre, it was quite common for a turbocharger conversion to be retro-fitted (usually by TB Turbos in Lancaster). 

Anyway - manual or automatic, turbocharged or not - the timing-belt change-interval was 5 years/50,000 miles (whichever came first) and received wisdom on the Ford Transit forum was that it's a good idea to replace the water-pump when the timing-belt is changed.

For technical advice on an Insignia's Ford base, the Ford Transit Forum would be a good source.

https://fordtransit.org/forum/

and for the Herald/Compass part, probably the Compass and Herald Motorhome Club

https://compassandheraldmotorhomeclub.weebly.com/

(Haynes marketed a Service/Repair manual for 1986-1999 Ford Transi diesels.)

• Like 1

Unless you have a service history or satisfactory receipt evidence for the last cam belt change, I would be inclined to have a new belt(s) and water pump fitted as an immediate course of action. You can then enjoy your van confident that one of the most expensive of failures has been circumnavigated.

This is what I would do, but I always pay close attention to belts, brakes, tyres and cleanliness of wheel arches (rust traps).

Davy