Van aircon operation - 2003 Fiat base vehicle

BruceM

So, after owning the van for six years and having travelled in hot foreign climes with the windows open and a portable fan to keep cool, I have today discovered after peering under the bonnet that the van has air con! – and it works!

This is what comes of not having a base vehicle manual. It’s turned on by pushing the indicated button (see picture).

So the question is, how sophisticated is this? Do I just turn it on and it blows cold air until turned off, or do the temperature controls impact whether it’s activated.

As a reminder it's a 2003 vehicle with a 2.8 jtd engine

VanAirCon.jpg

Edited by BruceM

Turning it on will enable cooling and dehumidification of the input cold air stream. The temperature adjustment is still operative - blending that stream and the hot side (at blue for max cooling, and you may want to put it higher than blue if you simply want dehumidified air, say to clear the windscreen).

It is manual aircon, so the effect will remain until the button is turned off. 

If it hasn't been run for the amount of time you state, it may need a regas, and/or some attention to the seals in the aircon system.

The following link will give you an 04/05 handbook download that shouldn't be very different to your 'van.

https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads/ducato-244-handbook-04-05.116/download

Edited by Robinhood

Hi BruceM

It may be important as you have not used the air con as you say for quite a long time to give the air con unit a refresh by killing off any bacteria, fungus and yeasts while leaving a pleasant aroma. Two cans should suffice Directions are on the tin as attached or use similar products available. (always use after replacing with a new cabin filter ,first)

Regards

Air Con Sanitiser.JPG

Edited by onecal

Thanks both, that’s really useful. I sanitised the van interior and air vent system when I first bought the van to remove that vague smell of dog(?) that vans sometime acquire. Probably about time I sanitised the air vent system again.

BTW, whilst you may know, you have the air intake control lever on recirculation in your picture.

That has its uses, but isn't the normal running setting. Moving the lever to the other end (exterior air) will/should improve the normal ventilation in general running.

13 hours ago, Robinhood said:

BTW, whilst you may know, you have the air intake control lever on recirculation in your picture.

That has its uses, but isn't the normal running setting. Moving the lever to the other end (exterior air) will/should improve the normal ventilation in general running.

Thanks, yes I spotted the same , now rectified. This A Class takes its air from under the vehicle which is probably the worst place for sucking in fumes in a traffic jam so we're frequently closing the intake.