Swift Voyager 485

Boab

We have just taken delivery of our swift voyager 485 on a Ford transit base.

just noticed that every time we unlock it and start to use the habitation door. Every time we open the door the outside perimeter / welcome lights come on.  Can this be disabled or are we doing something wrong ? 

If you GOOGLE-search using ford transit welcome lights or ford transit welcome home lights as the search-term, you'll find a good deal of on-line discussion about turning this feature off.

My recently-acquired Skoda Fabia has 'Coming Home' and 'Leaving Home' lighting features that can be separately disabled/enabled through the many options in the car's many menus, and I suggest you look in your Transit's menus to see if there's something similar.

Hopefully you'll get an "It's easy" answer from a Transit-owning forum-member, but, if not, I suggest you contact a Ford Transit-selling dealership and ask them, or the Swift dealership that sold you the motorhome may know.

Hi

On some models yes you can disable it through the menu section yourself but if I remember correctly  it re sets it self every time you turn off the ignition (not much use) I may be wrong! You can also disable on some (not all models) by leaving the key in position 1 it should not come on when camping. Your owners manual may give an update to your vehicle in question  

But as Derek points out you are better off going to your dealership and have it removed as it is as I understand it may still under warranty.,  This is a well known issue with same with those camping 

Regards

Edited by onecal

• 2 weeks later...

Boab

The "Details" section of this Caravan and Motorhome Club review of a Swift Voyager 584 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/blog/product-and-outfit-reviews/motorhome-reviews/swift-voyager-584/

includes the following comment.

...A fold-out double coat hook is a nice touch, and exterior running lights come on when you open the side door.... 

So there's little doubt that this is 'normal' behaviour for current Ford Transit-based Voyager models.

I'm unsure from your original posting what actually happens. When you use the central-locking key-fob to unlock your motorhome,  do the outside perimeter/welcome lights come on then, or does this happen only when a door is opened? And, when the habitation-area entrance door has been opened (and the perimeter lights are on) do the lights stay on, or go out after a short while? And presumably the lights come on in daylight as well as at night?

If the lights only come on for a short while (possibly only when its dark) the feature should not present a great problem and I suspect some owners might even like it. But if the lights stayed on until the door was closed/relocked that would be another matter altogether.

There is a product called FORScan that can be used to scan/remap Ford Transits. This Ford Owners Club forum thread relates to using FORScan to modify factory settings and it will be apparent that quite subtle modifications can be made

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/152229-forscan-modifications/

It's possible that FORScan could be used to disable this 'lights coming on'  feature, or that a Ford main agent's equipment could do it (if their arm were twisted hard enough!). There's no imperative for vehicles to have this feature - it's just another 'techie' thing - so no legal issue if it were disabled.