Aire de camping Calais

The Aire is currently close. We rocked up yesterday evening to find it barriered off, all the dump points taken away. Sooo, luckily the campsite is open and they said it was being refurbished it electricity. Opening later, possibly June.

peter

Having done Dover Calais probably ten times in the last five years, I find calais quite intimidating. Under the current situation with illegal immigrants, there's no way I'd overnight in Calais. happy to drive an hour or so for a supposed more secure site. Just IMHO of course and there's nothing wrong with people who are looking to improve their lot, just not at my expense. 

Posted (edited)

Well there's always the adjoining "Grand Gravelot" municipal campsite, which is, IMO, very good.  Excellent facilities, well run, new in 2017.  Our last visit (of 5) was autumn 2022, when the charge was €20.22 per night. 

Cherry on the cake is an excellent restaurant a couple of hundred yards North of the site entrance.

It is called Aquar'Aile (French pun! 🙂), located on the roof of a block of flats.  The north façade of the restaurant is, basically, all window, and the resulting view north over the Channel, especially in the evenings, is superb, with ferries and other boats coming and going.

What better way to begin or end a trip, and not particularly expensive either?  If interested, menus and prices here: https://tinyurl.com/2axoalrs  

Edited by Brian Kirby