Fiat ducato - roof noise in windy weather

Hi all I’ve coachbuilt 2003 Fiat Ducato-based  2.8 Suntor..  I live in windy west Wales  and noticed if I park sideways ( and not able to turn face on) to oncoming wind, the roof above the cab bed on the downward slope towards the middle sky-light flaps and sounds like it’s being taken on on inspection in morning all is ok . I believe they are not meant to be sandwiched between the alloy roof and insulation etc . Has anyone been able to stop the flapping about🙏thank you in advance 

Jonny

• Derek Uzzell changed the title to Fiat ducato - roof noise in windy weather

Welcome to theOut&AboutLive forums, Jonny.

The "Suntor" badge shows that your motorhome was a 'dealer special' originally marketed by Brownhills, but does not indicate the vehicle's manufacturer.

The manufacturer of Suntor-badged motorhomes was usually Swift or Elddis/Compass

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhomes/used-motorhomes/swift/suntor

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhomes/used-motorhomes/elddis/suntor

so,, if you want informed feedback, you will need to say exactly which model you own (for example Swift Suntor 630G or Elddis Suntor 140).

I'm not 100% sure if you are referring to the roof itself flapping in the wind, or the sky-light flapping, but this 2008 Practical Caravan forum thread mentions the roof-skin of a 1997 Elddis caravan flapping in the wind.

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/the-wind-makes-my-roof-noisy.22997/#:~:text=Many caravans have the outer,d say it's perfectly normal.

I also remember a French motorcaravanner telling me (years ago) that the aluminium roof of a new Chausson motohome he had bought flapped loudly when the vehicle was being driven. (He got rid of it very quickly.)

Also see

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/threads/swift-sundance-630l-roof-banging.13457/

Hi

Not sure if you are referring  to the skylight itself or indeed the roof panel itself, or both  (which maybe caused by the alloy not be bonded under the skylight) You could always carefully remove the skylight you refer to and re bond the alloy underneath and when it's fully bonded replace your skylight with a good mastic sealing strip or indeed whatever you think appropriate that gives you a good seal and is removable for future repairs. This should stop the flapping  for you and hopefully a good nights sleep in the wind  

Regards

Ah Ok

I think if I remember a fix was used by adding (bonding) a much thicker plate of aluminium to the effected area . Worked on some but not all I am afraid. Sometimes water ingress may have caused internal damage and therefore making this fix useless, if indeed the inside has been damaged. Check the skylight fixing as well for a good bond .

If the inside is ok or repaired and structurally sound then a larger gauge sheet of aluminium bonded on and resealed at the joins may just help and stop that flexing or that oil canning effect, or worse banging from structural damage within.

Regards

• Like 1

The bonding between the frame and the roof skin fails with age - I have fixed a few by putting self tappers or pop rivets in the roof with a bit of plumbers mate or silicone to seal them.  The aluminium skin was so thin I could press it down to feel about where the roof members are.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonny said:

Hi all I’ve coach built fiat Ducati,2.8 2003 suntor..  I live in windy west wales  and noticed if I park sideways ( and not able to turn face on) to oncoming wind, the roof above the cab bed on the down ward slope towards the middle sky light flaps and sounds like it’s being taken on on inspection in morning all is ok . I believe they are not meant to be sandwiched between the alloy roof and insulation etc . Has anyone been able to stop the flapping about🙏thank you in advance 

jonny

Thank you all for your advice

Hi

I think your model may not actually be bonded down only at the seams A larger gauged aluminium plate may be the best option and bond it down . Make sure the structure underneath itself is sound first

Best of luck with it 

Regards 

• Like 1

The Swift Suntor 590 RS model (image below)

image.png.d93aae4ce813118e789a9346d474954c.png

was a Brownhills-marketed version of the Swift Sundance RS.

The roof wind-noise issue with Sundance/Suntor models was discussed in some depth on the MotorHomeFacts forum thread I provided a link to yesterday. Swift confirmed that the roof "...is made using a semi-bonded construction method. The aluminium sheet is secured to the perimeter and to seals to the apertures e.g. roof lights and aerials..." A Swift 'modification' was also referred to "...a strip was placed along the width of the roof just at the base of the luton area to stop the movement..." and "...I was informed by Swift and Brownhills that all vans were getting the strip fitted which i noticed on all the newer suntor vans sold..." 

The MHFacts thread also suggests installing a fixed vent above the cab area on the roof's rear downwards slope. Presumably the thinking was that this would equalise air pressure above and below the roof's aluminium skin, but a) the vent would need to be 100% waterproof and b) I can't see that approach being effective.

As mentioned in the MHF forum thread and above, stiffening the roof-skin in the area affected by the 'flapping' by bonding alloy strip/plate to it should work (though this may already have been tried by Swift or a previous owner). 

Hi

Again quite a few owners found it was indeed not fully simi-bonded at all and many found around under the rooflight was far from bonded only on the edges  From movement the edging sometimes gave and leaked causing internal damage Only the roof light was bonded y mastic to the aluminium very light skin itself which led to sometimes movement and unacceptable noise  I think there may have been a few variations in fitting the strip by different owners  as well Re roof with a heaver gauged alu' usually was the best job after ensuring the interior structure was in good condition, or repaired if water damaged 

Regards

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2024 at 22:45, Jonny said:

Hi all I’ve coachbuilt 2003 Fiat Ducato-based  2.8 Suntor..  I live in windy west Wales  and noticed if I park sideways ( and not able to turn face on) to oncoming wind, the roof above the cab bed on the downward slope towards the middle sky-light flaps and sounds like it’s being taken on on inspection in morning all is ok . I believe they are not meant to be sandwiched between the alloy roof and insulation etc . Has anyone been able to stop the flapping about🙏thank you in advance 

Jonny

I have a fiat ducato Swift sundance 2003 eyebrow roof type .

I have had the same issue I bought some 25 mm wide x 5 mm thick alloy strips approx 2 mtrs long and applied a bead of flexible mastic on each strip and then pop riveted them on to the roof. from the rear view  just before the roof gets to the top. Curve strip one then another two spaced apart before the roof starts to level out. never had any problems with the wind since. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/05/2024 at 08:43, Derek Uzzell said:

The Swift Suntor 590 RS model (image below)

image.png.d93aae4ce813118e789a9346d474954c.png

was a Brownhills-marketed version of the Swift Sundance RS.

The roof wind-noise issue with Sundance/Suntor models was discussed in some depth on the MotorHomeFacts forum thread I provided a link to yesterday. Swift confirmed that the roof "...is made using a semi-bonded construction method. The aluminium sheet is secured to the perimeter and to seals to the apertures e.g. roof lights and aerials..." A Swift 'modification' was also referred to "...a strip was placed along the width of the roof just at the base of the luton area to stop the movement..." and "...I was informed by Swift and Brownhills that all vans were getting the strip fitted which i noticed on all the newer suntor vans sold..." 

The MHFacts thread also suggests installing a fixed vent above the cab area on the roof's rear downwards slope. Presumably the thinking was that this would equalise air pressure above and below the roof's aluminium skin, but a) the vent would need to be 100% waterproof and b) I can't see that approach being effective.

As mentioned in the MHF forum thread and above, stiffening the roof-skin in the area affected by the 'flapping' by bonding alloy strip/plate to it should work (though this may already have been tried by Swift or a previous owner). 

Hi just seen your reply thank you so much onecal for the positive and reassuring information. Much appreciated , Jonny