The Scottish 300

Anybody done the Scottish 300? My wife hates drops on the side of the roads with low barriers and I wondered if anybody had done this and could advise any sections to leave out that might worry her.

Thanks in advance.

We have done most of this at different times. Last year we sort of did the upper half.  This year we are going to explore the west most peninsular in more detail. I dont remember any problems at all. Nothing scary. Some roads are narrow with passing places. The road up to Wanlockhead is fine - the lead museum is well worth a visit. We are a 6.4m PVC.

1 hour ago, hja said:

We have done most of this at different times. Last year we sort of did the upper half.  This year we are going to explore the west most peninsular in more detail. I dont remember any problems at all. Nothing scary. Some roads are narrow with passing places. The road up to Wanlockhead is fine - the lead museum is well worth a visit. We are a 6.4m PVC.

Thanks mate. That’s great to know.

On 01/06/2024 at 10:59, Makingtrax said:

Anybody done the Scottish 300? My wife hates drops on the side of the roads with low barriers and I wondered if anybody had done this and could advise any sections to leave out that might worry her.

Thanks in advance.

We did this route last year - end August to end September. Mainly staying on little sites, as Scotland has also opened up farms that are licensed for a couple of Motorhomes, with basic amenities.  We stayed in Garliestone, on a small CL site, the owners have a little pig farm, and even sell their produce to customer. The site has a quaint "traffic light system" so you can see if the toilets or the showers are in use!!. We liked it here as this little town was not on any maps, as this was where the "Mulberry Bridges" were tested prior to the D Day landings. Parts of the original bridges can still be seen further down the coast.

We stayed on a Forestry commission site - "Jubilee Point" at £7 / night. They only allow 2 vans per site, this was down by a lovely Loch. Mrs Thai, has an app on her tablet where she has saved many little sites that we may use again when touring. The weather was absolutely fabulous, not bothered by midges at all. We also enjoyed travelling across "Glencoe" and learning about it's history.

Lovely little villages on this route, even for us in our large motorhome.

The beauty is that this area is missed by a lot of motorhomes, as they all bypass it to go further north. So lots to see and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2024 at 06:21, Thai Bry said:

We did this route last year - end August to end September. Mainly staying on little sites, as Scotland has also opened up farms that are licensed for a couple of Motorhomes, with basic amenities.  We stayed in Garliestone, on a small CL site, the owners have a little pig farm, and even sell their produce to customer. The site has a quaint "traffic light system" so you can see if the toilets or the showers are in use!!. We liked it here as this little town was not on any maps, as this was where the "Mulberry Bridges" were tested prior to the D Day landings. Parts of the original bridges can still be seen further down the coast.

We stayed on a Forestry commission site - "Jubilee Point" at £7 / night. They only allow 2 vans per site, this was down by a lovely Loch. Mrs Thai, has an app on her tablet where she has saved many little sites that we may use again when touring. The weather was absolutely fabulous, not bothered by midges at all. We also enjoyed travelling across "Glencoe" and learning about it's history.

Lovely little villages on this route, even for us in our large motorhome.

The beauty is that this area is missed by a lot of motorhomes, as they all bypass it to go further north. So lots to see and enjoy.

Many thanks. It sounds idyllic. Hard to believe you weren’t bothered by midges. That area is notorious for them. Well look up the sites you mentioned and plan for September.

Thanks again.