The end of an era

2 hours ago, laimeduck said:

Luigi is a thoroughly nice chap ... a true gentleman ..... unlike some?

Never doubted that Luigi is a gentleman.

Only expressed some doubts about the food.

Just look at the pictures. Fried, fried and more fried.

To the glory of cholesterol, veins, arteries and, above all, the belly.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, colin said:

Fish and chips are actually an Italian dish imported into the UK by Venetian immigrants, or so they claim.

I don't believe it even if a particular fish course is typical of the region (in fact from Vicenza even if at the time of this story the city belonged to Venice).
It is "baccalà alla vicentina", please note that baccalà (or stockfish or dried cod) is not a Mediterranean fish.
And it is not a fried fish. Accompanied by polenta (maize porridge) and not potatoes which were introduced in Italy only between the end of the 16th century and the beginning of the 17th.

But let's try to discover baccalà in Italy.
Well, real history, in 1431 a Venetian ship, the Querina, left Crete heading for Flanders.
After rounding Gibraltar it went adrift and, after unspeakable vicissitudes, ended up landing on the island of Rost (Lofoten, Norway).
The crew was rescued by the inhabitants, after other adventures managed to return to Italy, it seems that they brought the recipe.
I have my doubts that it has anything to do with fish and chips.

Edited by mtravel

Posted (edited)

I have had hundreds of meals in Italy - all good as I recall, but I doubt if they were any healthier than good fish, chips & mushy peas. Pizza & pasta made of refined white flour....covered in processed red meat...

Fish & chips is difficult to do well, thats why most of us leave it to the experts and go to a favourite shop.

I think you have had some crap, but if you had been lucky and found a really good fish & chip shop you would have liked them mtravel.

What would you say if I had a can of spaghetti hoops and decided I didn't like pasta?

Edited by John52

Back on topic  ... I posted this as lots of motorhomer's on here have commented on Luigi's Castle Street restaurant, just a couple of minutes from the permissible motorhome parking in Dover on Marine Parade. Their reviews have always been positive and rightly so. It was ideal for a good well cooked meal while waiting for the ferry.

Sad that it will no longer be available.

Jeremy

2 hours ago, John52 said:

I have had hundreds of meals in Italy - all good as I recall, but I doubt if they were any healthier than good fish, chips & mushy peas. Pizza & pasta made of refined white flour....covered in processed red meat...

... What would you say if I had a can of spaghetti hoops and decided I didn't like pasta?

I don't know where you ate but I assure you that (for instance) ragù (veal) and amatriciana (pork) are cooked with fresh meat purchased from the butcher.
Both at home and at the restaurant.
Refined flour does not mean adulterated.
Let's get to the salami, both cold meats and raw or cooked (steamed) ham you can find all types.
Those from large-scale distribution may contain regulated quantities of nitrites to give color.
The artisanal ones are natural.
Try visiting some cured meat factories, perhaps in Friuli and you will discover the know-how behind them.
In any case, at least on pizza, these are such negligible quantities that it is not even worth talking about.

It is difficult to get it into your head that frying oil, perhaps used for days or weeks in a row, is a triumph of cholesterol and harmful fats.
Then you get angry if someone points out that around your towns you see large percentages of ultra-obese girls.
Something that is almost unseen in all other European countries.
In any case, these are your problems and not mine.

Max

p.s. I assure you that nobody here would buy a can of spaghetti.
Also because no one would think of selling them.

1 hour ago, Robinhood said:

I'm led to believe that some Italians are, Jeremy.

😉

Brits are known for their humour.
True enough.
At least until they are contradicted.
Then they get angry.

I'm with M, nobody in their right mind would suggest fish and chips are edible food 😂 But I do sympathise with loosing such a landmark or ritual, having had to let go of a few myself.

PS my wife comes from a "toxic" region on the attached map, she converted and now usually hangs in the mostly safe to eat zone with frequent excursions to real food but also occasional caution is advised detour.
😜

Screenshot_20240609_063518.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed some nice fish and chips on the way to Nordcap made from local caught cod, although they do make it as fish balls, probably to get more batter on it, the best cuisine spreads across the world.

With the fear of offending I am sorry I think the map is close to accurate. My experience with English "chippies" is that the chips are soggy, the fish has too much batter and cold water fish have not very much flavour and are often "mushy". But then again I have only visited your beautiful country some 14 times so I may not have found the "holy grail" of fish shops. Now if you ask me about how the countries that border the northern coast of the med I would say based on my experience over some 30 years of regular travel to said parts they know how to cook seafood.

Boxing gloves are at the ready!!

cheers,

The irony of this thread is that I am not a huge fan of seafood unless I have seen it come out of the water, and put straight on the coals or in the pan!

It's a chemical thing ... tri-methylamine is the culprit! ....the smell of fish! They generally don't have this if they are fresh out of the water. So for me to eat fish you have to be next to the water ....Dover is fairly close! (As is Dungeness, just up the road from me.