Wynns additive

Hi l have just purchased Wynns adblue additive to stop crystallisation of the adblue. The amount in the tank says that there is enough for 2000 miles. How much does this equate to in litres? Or should l siphon it out and start from scratch.

Grumpyman 

Hi 

It really depends how long the "adBlue"has been standing in your tank unused (shelf life of product) on if you wish to siphon it out or not .Just a note this treatment may not help if the injector if it is badly crystalized up as it only helps to prevent light formation and it does that, if used regularly with fresh adblue 

Regards

There seems to be a vast differance in amounts of AdBlue used between different years of van and different usages, so I think the only way of getting the correct dosage is when adding it to tank.

Hi I own a BMW 218d that I bought three years ago it being almost one year old when I bought it. I have put 14000 miles on it had it serviced at a BMW garage but it has never had any adblue put in it by either the garage or me. No problems or errors notified

Regards David 

Hi 

Again the additive may of little use with heavy deposits of crystallization that may have formed over time It is designed to help prevent with light formation of crystallization.  Filling your adBlue tank with fresh adBlue as per manufactures instructions and instructions on your container is usally the way to go 

Regards

Ad blue Wynns.JPG

GM's motorhome is a 2022 Auto-Trail F68 model on a Ford Transit Mk 8-base.

This 2022 CaravanTalk forum discussion referred to a 2021 Bailey Adamo (also built on a Transit Mk 8 )

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/157269-adblue-consumption/

and a full-to-empty AdBlue tank estimated range of 4567  miles was given. 

If GM's F68 has a similar AdBlue consumption and it's gauge now shows an estimated remaining range of 2200 miles, then its (21 litres?) AdBlue tank should be roughly half empty. I THINK GM bought the F68 new in 2022 and, if that's the case, he should know when the AdBlue tank was previously filled and the mileage covered since then, and a simple calculation should give a good idea of the average AdBlue consumption and how much AdBlue remains in the tank.

This Ford Transit forum thread discussed draining the AdBlue tank

https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=214222

and suggests that 'traditional' siphoning out the AdBlue via the filler may not be practicable (and I'm doubtful that the tank itself has an accessible drain-plug). So GM may have no choice other than to pour the Wynn's additive into his F68's AdBlue tank and then fill the tank. This can't do any harm, even though it might not be ideal.

Hi

Yes if the old adBlue is there for quite some time it may be wise to drain,past it's manufacture's recommended shelf life (detach the filler hose and siphon out the 21 Litre tank, no need to drop the tank) replace the filler hose and refill with fresh adBlue and top up with Wynn's additive into the fresh tank of adBlue if you wish .

Do not overfill the tank as it needs an air gap for the sensor to work correctly  Some reports from club members are not very promising using it in a tank of old adBlue that are three quarter full after two years . Hopefully should be ok in a tank that maybe less than half full if you want to take that chance .

Yes it does helps a little to prevent the formation of crystals in the system when used with a full tank of  fresh adBlue that we know, from other members within the club.

Regards  

1 minute ago, onecal said:

Yes it does helps a little to prevent the formation of crystals in the system

Have you told Fiat?

Apparently 'advice in the Fiat Ducato Manual is NOT to use any additives with AdBlue.'

link