180 days insurance

webby1

Looking for travel and house insurance for a longer trip. Over 70 and with high blood pressure.

They all seem easy enough to take out a really comprehensive policy. But really interested in if you have actually made a claim, which seems to be the stumbling block.Staysure and Avanti offered the cheapest travel quotes, but there are some terrible reviews about actually trying to make a claim.

Considering CMC Red Pennant which is almost twice the price but hoping a better claims experience.

There must be some of us doing longer trips(down to Morocco avoiding the 90/180 problem)So all relevant insurance suggestions welcome.

I know I'm answering my own question but  here's a few tips which may help anyone coming across this thread in a future search.....well it's hardly a thread😄

1 Watch out for excellent reviews, but which all refer to ease of taking out the policy, what's covered and for how much etc.This may look great but try and find some reviews about problems in paying out a claim.That's where the cheaper companies earn their cheap.

2 They farm out to ruthless claims handlers so they can always wash their hands of any responsibility.I have read about asking for original copies of all receipts/medical reports etc which then go missing,copies won't do.Medical staff being unavailable to authorise treatments, which are then rejected because they were not cleared etc etc.Of course this has nothing to do with the main company and they are very sorry for the delay.

3 In the end I went with CMC and Red Pennant, as I decided they had a reputation to try to keep in case of any complaints.Of course it cost more.But I had thought the periods away went up in chunks 60/90 and 180 days.Not so with Red Pennant and we got a better price for 150 days.which is the period we wanted.

4.Their medical screening is quite different from the other quotes I went through. I thought it was easier and  seems to revolve around actually being fit to travel and no recent increases in medication

If nothing happens I'll probably wish I had taken the cheaper policy but I'm happier now to have paid a bit more.