Parking on wet grass

I believe you'd find that the considerable weight that each wheel of a motorhome puts on the ground would (unless the surface beneath the wheel were really firm) seriously buckle a rubber mat.

When I thought there was a risk of my motorhome's wheels sinking into damp ground when parked, I used to put Milenco grip mats beneath all four wheels. (These are hard and reasonably rigid, but they would still deform if the ground was not firm.)

https://www.milenco.com/products/safety/grip-mats

I never got stuck when using the grip mats, though it did not stop me getting my Rapido motorhome deeply bogged down on a deserted French campsite when (on my 70th birthday) I blithely drove on to the grass without first checking how firm the ground was. That was fun...

Rubber Grass & Ground Protection Mats 1.5m x 1m x 23mm £26.99 

Milenco grip mats Dimensions per mat: Length: 75cm Width: 25.5cm £25.41 for a pair.

I would go for the Milenco Giant Lattice Grip Mat Slip x2 Length: 106cm Width: 33cm £29.95 and they are Interlocking-Can be multi linked together, length and width.

Good morning all.

Whilst probably (possibly?) better than nothing, I'd agree that they'll deform too much, that and when wet, rubber mats could well be slippy anyway?

Some years back I "updated" the bits wooden boards and scaffold planks we used for four Aco plastic ground guard tiles (the things you set in a lawn or gravel drive') and they worked really well. A bit bulky but we had the external locker to put them in. Back when we bought them they were only 3 -4 quid each, I dare say they'll be a lot more now? They eventually started to deform and some of the edges split but they lasted over ten years but were still usable when we sold the MH.

Having only just returned to a MH, we have bought some Monster mats (which look to be similar to the non-lattice Milenco mats?)

Whatever happened to the good old orange coloured cut down bread basket/trays? Are they still available?

Had mine for close on 14 years now, and on the couple of occasions we've used them they've done the job admirably. However, when going onto grass, I always jump out and walk over and jump up and down on the grass first, so generally don't need them.

Jeremy

Edited by laimeduck

If you are stuck you might consider letting the tyres down to about 20psi until you get away

Lower tyre pressure = more surface area of tyre on the ground, spreading the load like your tyre mats.

Just looked at the advert for "Monster mats". It shows that they can be used under levelling ramps to stop the motor home sinking into wet grass.

On the subject of levelling ramps; when we move off site we always have clods of grass and soil in the holes. I had thought of filling the holes with expanding foam to stop them being filled with clods of grass and soil.

Would this soak up the water? Any opinions please!

1 hour ago, ChasB said:

On the subject of levelling ramps; when we move off site we always have clods of grass and soil in the holes. I had thought of filling the holes with expanding foam to stop them being filled with clods of grass and soil.

Would this soak up the water? Any opinions please!

I think you'll find the idea of the holes is to allow the mat to sink slightly and give you the traction to move away otherwise the mat will move and you'll stay.

I've learnt my lesson, twice, about driving on wet grass and having to be towed off, if in doubt don't. 

2 hours ago, stevec176 said:

I think you'll find the idea of the holes is to allow the mat to sink slightly and give you the traction to move away otherwise the mat will move and you'll stay.

Good point yes

Never really sure with grass or beaches because I can't see whats underneath, how hard it is, or any bad patches.

I only go on when I know there is someone there to tow me off - like at the steam fairs where the organisers have a 4x4 on hand for anyone that gets stuck.

2 hours ago, John52 said:

Good point yes

Never really sure with grass or beaches because I can't see whats underneath, how hard it is, or any bad patches.

I only go on when I know there is someone there to tow me off - like at the steam fairs where the organisers have a 4x4 on hand for anyone that gets stuck.

I remember when we hadn't had our present van very long was directed to a pitch which looked to be soft, when I questioned the state of ground was told "it's ok we have a tractor to tow you off if you get set" never even made it to pitch before coming to a standstill, when we needed towing off the tractor wasn't up to it and had to have a tractor and 4x4 towing together, ever since I make the decisions after personally checking state of ground 

BTW, no more GDSF, which is a great shame, we've been there several times over the years. We used to run a ploughing weekend which included steam engines in aid of Harefield hospital, had to give it up in end as it cost us so much and took up so much time.

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago, I made 4 x 12" sqare pads out of 1/3" exterior ply offcuts laminated double to 1" and painted to make 'em easy to clean and with all four wheels on a pad I never once got bogged down over many years.

There were times I drove off and only stopped on firm ground to walk back to pick 'em up but they aways worked and best of all were free!

They stored neatly and handily alongside the handbrake.

If you own a MH where the front came out of the Sevel plant you certainly know about being bogged. The Storeage area where I park my Adria is clay with a smattering of ground old tarmac. In the wet it becomes a problem. So I fashioned two sections of 3 ply nailed together in opposite grain directions to avoid curling. End result they both curled and I needed to be extracted from the parking area. Moral - park on a concrete pitch if you own a Fiat.  I am currently on my way to the centre of the continent around Uluṟu that funny big rock in the middle of nowhere. Out there the ground is all red dust that turns to red mud if there is a hint of moisture. Awesome country like no other I have seen in the 35 countries I have visited. Not the best but different.(as Tracker Rich would say) but I paraphrase. I know I did not  offer a solution to the request however I felt I needed to add to the topic as I have been out of circulation for a while with a rear slideout electronics issue that took some time to sort. All good. Cheers,