Water tank cap.

paulni

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My tank filler went in France and it never did work very well [brand new van] and knowing a good supplier in Nantes went to CECV and bought one from there and noticed that it appeared to be a different pattern to original and works beautifully. However I usually lubricate everything I can squirt lube into but the low price surprised me[8 eurines]

Old Git - 2007-09-10 9:00 AM

Good point Graham, and although I agree entirely - how would graphite stand up to frequent and regular dousing with water?

My honest answer is that I have no idea Dave :-D

Also, I expect that have been one or two developments in lubricant technology since my Dad was an apprentice in the 1930s :-D

Only guessing - because I haven't had to use a lubricant (so far) on our cap - is that whatever is used should be a minimum amount and restricted as far as possible to the external side of the cap and away from the side that might come into contact with water.

Just thinking about it though, between the cap and the tank on our van is a pipe of about 18 or 20 inches, which doesn't become filled with water - so I suppose that lessens the chance of the cap getting wet. I've never noticed it actually being wet.

Graham

Guest starspirit

Thank you John S for your valued input.

May I just point out that it was not me who hijacked this topic.

All I did was made a casual throw away remark, which lead to Rupert throwing his teddy out of the pram, quickly joined by you jumping on this particular bandwagon.

Just what exactly do you think personal attacks achieve and why do you find it so hard to put your point of view across without insults?

starspirit - 2007-09-10 1:03 PM Thank you John S for your valued input. May I just point out that it was not me who hijacked this topic. All I did was made a casual throw away remark, which lead to Rupert throwing his teddy out of the pram, quickly joined by you jumping on this particular bandwagon. Just what exactly do you think personal attacks achieve and why do you find it so hard to put your point of view across without insults?

I will not lower myself in such a way again as to reply

GJH - 2007-09-10 12:16 PM
Old Git - 2007-09-10 9:00 AM Good point Graham, and although I agree entirely - how would graphite stand up to frequent and regular dousing with water?
My honest answer is that I have no idea Dave :-D Also, I expect that have been one or two developments in lubricant technology since my Dad was an apprentice in the 1930s :-D Only guessing - because I haven't had to use a lubricant (so far) on our cap - is that whatever is used should be a minimum amount and restricted as far as possible to the external side of the cap and away from the side that might come into contact with water. Just thinking about it though, between the cap and the tank on our van is a pipe of about 18 or 20 inches, which doesn't become filled with water - so I suppose that lessens the chance of the cap getting wet. I've never noticed it actually being wet. Graham

Hi Graham

Our cap kept on sticking and I found out when the tank was full it got very wet. I spread vaseline all over the inside and now it works very well and turns smoothly.

Miami - 2007-09-10 1:10 PMHi Graham

Our cap kept on sticking and I found out when the tank was full it got very wet. I spread vaseline all over the inside and now it works very well and turns smoothly.

Thanks John.I wonder if the various answers/solutions reflect differences in design of the various tanks and filler pipes in different vans.I do recall having problems locking and unlocking our cap when we first got the van but that was me doing it wrong rather than any problem with the cap itself.However, given that Paulni's original message that started the thread related to an Elddis Autoquest maybe we've been lucky. I don't know if Elddis have changed the design of cap in the last three years but if not we may have a problem in future.One thing is for certain. If we ever do have a problem in future I'll know where to come for an answer - so thanks everyone :-) Graham

Guest caraprof
starspirit - 2007-09-10 1:03 PM Thank you John S for your valued input. May I just point out that it was not me who hijacked this topic. All I did was made a casual throw away remark, which lead to Rupert throwing his teddy out of the pram, quickly joined by you jumping on this particular bandwagon. Just what exactly do you think personal attacks achieve and why do you find it so hard to put your point of view across without insults?

Mmmm, 'throw away remarks' have been the cause of wars and many killings I suspect. Just because someone 'throws away' a comment it doesn't make it any less insulting or hurtful, which I thought yours was. Can't you see that your comments are very unfair and that anyone involved in a manufacturing or even a service industry, such as Dave Newell, might find them annoying? Not all businessmen are so stupid as to deliberately reduce quality for short-term profit and no one can seriously argue that manufactured goods are now poorer than 35 years ago when you bought your first motorhome. Exactly the opposite in my experience.

Guest starspirit

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear - another pram without a teddy!

Hello Frank, welcome back, long time no dispute!

Please do not put words in my mouth.

I made no mention of services in my tongue in cheek throw away remark and if you are offended by it, that's just tough.

By the way, what is it exactly that you manufacture?

PS You may recall that I was very vociferous in arguing strongly against your a ban and I appreciate you making your point without rancour.

Guest caraprof
starspirit - 2007-09-10 7:25 PM Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear - another pram without a teddy! Hello Frank, welcome back, long time no dispute! Please do not put words in my mouth. I made no mention of services in my tongue in cheek throw away remark and if you are offended by it, that's just tough. By the way, what is it exactly that you manufacture? PS You may recall that I was very vociferous in arguing strongly against your a ban and I appreciate you making your point without rancour.

I have a large stake in a successful graphic arts company that I set up some years ago. A friend had a good idea but no money or business experience. I provided both and it has now grown considerably.

http://www.designforce.co.uk/

Amongst a very varied portfolio the company does a lot of packaging services and provides the design, labels and fancy bottles for many own-brand toiletries that you will see in supermarkets, Superdrug and Boots etc. Two of our biggest clients are manufacturers of such products, which are only sold as own-brand items.

We also manfacture showstands as we a provide a full service for anyone exhibiting at trade shows.

However, it's a bit irrelevant as whether I manufacture anything or not. I simply saw it as an ill-informed attack on the business community in general, and I don't seem to be alone.

I would also like to add that I put no words in your mouth. You said:

Mind you I expect like everything else modern corners have been cut and material quality downgraded in the pursuit of profit and to hell with the problems.

This can surely be taken to include spare parts and materials as provided by service agents. What else does 'everything modern' suggest?

Anyway, I too am out of this discussion. My point has been well aired.

Guest caraprof
Mel B - 2007-09-10 10:49 PM Ahhh .... I remember the good old days ... shame they've come back again. :-(

I wish I couldn't remember the days when you didn't prolong a thread that had obviously died. I'd finished, Starspirit had not bothered to respond and now we all look forward to it disappearing.

But oh no - once again, along comes Mel B as usual to stick her oar in with no real contribution, just a moan that carries it on.

We may argue but I really wish that you'd learn when it's time to keep your mouth shut and let things die, but it seems that that is asking too much!

Ps And your stupid signature is still far too long and boring!

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-09-10 11:58 PM Guess who's back? Been quite peaceful on here until now. Can we have a whipround to send him on tour again?.

Yes, we know that Starspirit is back but at least he contributes, unlike you who just likes to stick his oar in now and again and stir things up.

Your avatar is very appropriate. He was a right old woman as well.

Here we go again!

If you all want to get personal then why don't you email or PM. Saves a lot of time and trouble. I find this forum one of the best but will probably leave if people can't stick to the original subject without getting petty and personal.

What has happened to the moderators? Probably got some sense and gone off in their motor homes

Caraprof

Stick it up your ....... (fill in the word as appropriate, only you know where!). :$

And I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad my signature gets up your nose! Makes life worthwhile that does (no, not really, you're not that important)!!!! (lol)

Apologies to Miami and everyone else but it's been lovely and peaceful on here whilst Frank's been on holiday, now he's back he's having a go at everyone he can.:-|

Caraprof ... I'm sure you won't be able to resist yet another nasty comment ... go on chuck, do your worst! >:-) (why isn't there a smily that stick's its tongue out????)

Guest caraprof
Mel B - 2007-09-11 10:27 PM Caraprof Stick it up your ....... (fill in the word as appropriate, only you know where!). :$ And I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad my signature gets up your nose! Makes life worthwhile that does (no, not really, you're not that important)!!!! (lol) Apologies to Miami and everyone else but it's been lovely and peaceful on here whilst Frank's been on holiday, now he's back he's having a go at everyone he can.:-| Caraprof ... I'm sure you won't be able to resist yet another nasty comment ... go on chuck, do your worst! >:-) (why isn't there a smily that stick's its tongue out????)

I strongly object to that characterisation. I only have a go at the idiots. (Stick's its tongue out - did you really mean to put that apostrophe in sticks?)

Frank! I thought you were a reasonable sort of bloke, with a sense of humour. But it seems I was totally wrong in that assumption. You are indeed an ignorant pompous ar*sehole, as has been pointed out in the past. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt. How wrong can one be. >:-)

Guest caraprof
peter - 2007-09-11 10:58 PM Frank! I thought you were a reasonable sort of bloke, with a sense of humour. But it seems I was totally wrong in that assumption. You are indeed an ignorant pompous ar*sehole, as has been pointed out in the past. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt. How wrong can one be. >:-)

I bet that you say that to all the girls! Why do you have a picture of an old queen as your avatar?

Anyway, been a hard day. London and back for a meeting and then having to insult all you lot takes it out of me so I'm having an early night. Off to bed now with my wife, Herbert.

caraprof - 2007-09-11 11:04 PM

I bet that you say that to all the girls! Why do you have a picture of an old queen as your avatar?

Touch'e Frank. Why do you have a Fairy bending over as your Avatar? :D

Guest caraprof
Mel B - 2007-09-11 11:12 PM Frank, sorry chuck, you're pretending to be friendly now don't work with me, too many nasty comments. Pleased the apostrophy made you happy ... little things amuse. :-S

You obviously misunderstood. I wasn't being nice to you when I said that I only have a go at the idiots - you were included in that category.

And to be perfectly serious I'll repeat again why you continually get up my nose.

We have an argument about something but there comes a point when it's obviously over and we probably all breathe a sigh of relief as the topic slips lower down the list and eventually off the page.

But time and time again, in one case two days after it was all over, along comes Mel B with her usual attack on the people concerned. No contribution whatsoever to the thread or the argument, just another moan about the people concerned.

That's exactly what happened yesterday. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that the row was over. I'd actually said "I'm out of this discussion, my point has been well aired".

But despite this, in you leap as usual.

I'm not being nice to you Mel B. I think that you're a sh*t stirrer of the first order so please, continue your little game of resurrecting dead threads by inserting your big wooden spoon if you must but don't expect people to lie back and take it.

Archived