Slamlocks

IMG-20240718-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.82156c0cc1a8a5b2c3129df40031b2ee.jpegIMG_20240720_115230501.thumb.jpg.a6011d35ea19148f01e873250b0307dd.jpg

Hi there everyone. Back again after a few years away. I was called trialsrider before but couldn't use my old name so now I'm trialsriderz.

Anyway I've just bought a 2019 Citroen Dispatch m 1.6 van. It's a plain van. It will be converted by myself to a basic camper as it's primary function is to transport my trials bike to and from events.

The first thing I want to sort out is the slam locks fitted to the sliding doors and barn doors. They are currently disconnected anyway and served no purpose plus I have no key or key code to operate them anyway. The van doors lock and unlock as the manufacturer intended with the key operated central locking.

I would be tempted to leave them on as a non operative theft deterrent however two of the three slam locks have been drilled in i guess a previous theft attempt and i feel the van looks more vulnerable with them in situ.

So I'm going to remove them and either fit a purpose bought slam lock blanking plate or get a body shop to fill and paint it. 

But how are they removed? I've spoken to a auto locksmith who said they have to be drilled out from outside in. But is this really necessary as I have removed door card and it looks like it is just a 35mm nut holding it on. Has anyone removed these before ? I'd rather know before I either buy a blanking plate or go to a body shop.

First photo shows outside of lock and second is from inside.

Thanks Gareth 

Keith. You and I think the same but I haven't got a 35mm socket and my big adjustable can't get at it. If I know it will I do it I will go out and buy a socket. I'm hoping someone here knows. Surely drilling out is not required!! 

Try using a sharp chisel and drift the nut undone. But be careful not to damage the panel, maybe get a helper to support the other side with a heavy weight and a soft cloth for protection. It can't be that tight!

55 minutes ago, Keithl said:

Try using a sharp chisel and drift the nut undone. But be careful not to damage the panel, maybe get a helper to support the other side with a heavy weight and a soft cloth for protection. It can't be that tight!

Good idea. Could be worth a go. Off away in van on Monday for a few nights camping but will ring garrison locks who manufacture this slamlock for advice before I go. If they say it is a case of just undoing the nut I'll treat myself to a 35mm socket.  Yes these panels are wafer thin. Thanks 

It seems the nut is the only securing method.

Several other guides on the internet if you search "Van slam lock installation".

A cheap socket should be more than adequate. Several on Amazon and auction sites between £7 - £10 that should be suitable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deneb said:

It seems the nut is the only securing method.

Several other guides on the internet if you search "Van slam lock installation".

A cheap socket should be more than adequate. Several on Amazon and auction sites between £7 - £10 that should be suitable.

Thanks for that. Yes the nut retains everything. My concern is that the slam is obviously in the locked position despite the connectors being disconnected. I know from changing lock barrels in domestic houses that you can't get the barrell out usually without a key and they need to be unlocked to slide them out. These must be the same. The video I guess is showing the lock being fitted in the unlocked position.

Watching the video you do not need the key to fit the lock, so you will not need the key to remove it. Your reference to household, presumably EURO cylinders is not relevant to these locks as you only need the key to remove the cylinder and in this case you are removing the whole lock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keithl said:

Watching the video you do not need the key to fit the lock, so you will not need the key to remove it. Your reference to household, presumably EURO cylinders is not relevant to these locks as you only need the key to remove the cylinder and in this case you are removing the whole lock.

Keith, I totally agree with you. But I can't understand why two seperate locksmiths have told me I will need to drill them out when they know I have access to the inside of the van already. That's the puzzling bit !! It's not like I'm locked out of it !!!

6 hours ago, Puddlejumper said:

To be honest the nut is brass so should just split with a couple of hits of a hammer and a sharp chisel

I think the steel of the van door is weaker than the nut and I think that may buckle and crease before the nut breaks !! Otherwise id give it a shot 

You could ssk Garrison Locks if they will supply a blank key that you can insert into the key slot and hold in place whilst loosening the nut, but to be honest as you have access to the back of the panel and can support it, I'd hammer a screwdriver or similar into the key slot. That should stop any tendency for the lock to rotate whilst slackening the nut.

17 minutes ago, Deneb said:

You could ssk Garrison Locks if they will supply a blank key that you can insert into the key slot and hold in place whilst loosening the nut, but to be honest as you have access to the back of the panel and can support it, I'd hammer a screwdriver or similar into the key slot. That should stop any tendency for the lock to rotate whilst slackening the nut.

That's not a bad idea. I spoke to garrison locks last week as they supply this slamlock but they also said it needs to be drilled out. But maybe I didn't explain myself enough that I do have interior access. I'm going to ring them again tomorrow. If I know I can get them out I will just replace like with like and not connect the cable so the van operates with the central locking as usual but at least the locks would need be a visual deterrent. When I come to sell the van I could hook them up again.

22 hours ago, Keithl said:

Loosen the nut and see what happens!

Have you not got a pair of water pump pliers or pipe stilsons? Or is there a neighbour you could ask who may have some?

Keith. You were right. It will pull straight out if you undo that nut. Spoke to garrison locks today. Many thanks. The deadlocks on the driver and passenger door are another matter and can only be removed with a key or via drilling.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fitted the new locks today. Bit more of a faff than I predicted as the previous fitter clearly hadn't rust proofed the bare edges so I had to rub down and prime paint the edges before fitting the new locks. I'm glad I waited for my 35mm socket to arrive as two of the locks nuts were pretty tight and definitely needed the force of a good socket. Much happier now they don't look like they've been broken into. I haven't connected the cams on the back. They are just a deterrent.

IMG_20240804_162623951.jpg

• Like 1