Fiamma exterior screens

Old Git

Just a quickie please.

Anyone know if the Fiamma exterior screens are worth having? At only about £35 they are not going to be as good as Taylor Made or Silverscreens, but do they prevent, or at least minimise condensation on a cold night - say just a few degrees below zero?

They are likely to be a lot smaller, which is why I am interested in this particular make.

(Edited for clarification.) I don't want internal ones, so no need to suggest them thankyou.

Thanks in advance

Dave

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Michele, and thanks again for trying to help.

The manufacturer's description is:-

New outside cover for covering your windshield and side windows. Made in two-layered durable material for excellent insulation from heat and cool. Elegant external finish in Polar White designed to match the motorhome. Can easily be installed with no drilling required. The cabin doors are used to support and secure the shade. This practical mounting system is secured on the inside acting as an anti-theft deterrent. Excellent performance in summer and winter.[/Quote]

And the picture to go with it follows. (Edit) Should have credited www.agentfiamma.co.uk for the text and photo.

Thanks

Dave

coverglas.jpg.b620fe63cbe80c1f1e0f7184792d30f9.jpg

Old Git,

Please forgive me I ask in ignorance ..

Isn;t the above text a bit like contradicting itself ?

Secure on the outside.

Attached to the doors to help with ? theft security ...

The reason I avoid these is because you could not get it off quick enough to see where you were going if something happened

1) At a campsite that was in the papers a few years ago when the caravan set on fire causing untold damage.

2) If I wanted to drive off fast for millions of reason

3) how would that help you with security /

probably put it wrong again but you get my drift.

They are not for us.

Oh sorry but I cannot help you.

I use one ,its really good and fits well.The main reason other than the price,is its size when folded up . It comes in a sturdy wallet and fits in the box under the passenger seat.Had no problems with condensation.

If you get one.block the wiper blades off the cover( a couple of plastic wine corks are ideal) as for some reason the blades mark the cover with a red line. and it prolongs the life of the blades.

And because its white , if you leave it on in bright sunshine. it helps keep the inside cooler.

Elegant external finish in Polar White designed to match the motorhome.

Dave

Assuming your m/h is white, and not a faded yellowish colour like mine (lol)

I like the look of them- I've got the silver, internal (infernal) ones which require a high degree of agility to fit and do produce a lot of condensation.

michele - 2007-09-12 4:44 PM

Old Git,

Please forgive me I ask in ignorance ..

Isn;t the above text a bit like contradicting itself ?

Secure on the outside.

Attached to the doors to help with ? theft security ...

The reason I avoid these is because you could not get it off quick enough to see where you were going if something happened

1) At a campsite that was in the papers a few years ago when the caravan set on fire causing untold damage.

2) If I wanted to drive off fast for millions of reason

3) how would that help you with security /

probably put it wrong again but you get my drift.

They are not for us.

Oh sorry but I cannot help you.

You can remove it in less than 30 seconds,and it part covers the door locks

Helps with security as it is impossible to remove with out opening the doors.and covers the side windows preventing "smash and grab" type problems.

Cheers

martin

Ok Mr .

Ii am not about to preach EACH TO HIS OWN before someone gets snappy.

It's not for us I have often looked but all the above things spring to mind.

If I want to nosey out because I hear a noise then I nosey big time.

I dont have to run out and take off the cover ...

Not for us...

Michele - mostly for keeping the condensation down, but if it helps keep cool that is a bonus.

Your comments about getting it off in an emergency will need some thought - thanks for that.

Judge -

and that's what it sounds like to me a shade....

Me too. That's largely why I wanted to find someone who has one.

Martin - that's brilliant. Thanks for a very succinct and informative reply. I knew someone would be a fellow member of the Skinflints Club (lol) (I jest of course - before anyone picks me up on this!!!)

Janine -

I like the look of them- I've got the silver, internal (infernal) ones which require a high degree of agility to fit and do produce a lot of condensation.

Precisely why I don't want the infernal ones. :D

Hope I haven't missed anybody - and thanks again

Dave

martin r c - 2007-09-12 5:04 PM

I find the curtains a bit of a problem because when drawn it covers the CD player in the dash. and fouls the captain seat. prevents access to the glove box / door pockets etc.

No loss of internal space when its on.so I can leave it on all day if I want.

Martin

Spot on again Martin.

And the old dog hated it as she loved to lie in the footwell and the curtains annoyed her.

Cheers

Dave

michele - 2007-09-12 5:00 PM

If I want to nosey out because I hear a noise then I nosey big time.

I dont have to run out and take off the cover ...

Not for us...

I seem to remember being sold the internal screens so that I could take them off and drive away without getting out of the van if I had a security issue, but as I only ever stay on CC sites, I can't imagine that happening.

Except for meeting any more dodgy characters at the Malvern Show :D

I'm guessing here, but I reckon in an emergency you would only have to open the driver's door and throw the screen across the bonnet. Then you could drive away safely, and if the screen got ripped that wouldn't be a big deal under the circumstances.

However!!!!!!! In many (perhaps most) circumstances you would first have to rotate the driver's seat back to forward facing, and in our case find the bloody ignition key, and that would take far longer than disposing of the screen.

Regards

Dave

By the time I have put the roll out awning away . removed the hook up cable / ariel / sat cable and all the other bits, if I have got them out . the time to remove the screen cover is not a problem anyway.but you could in theory pull it off from the inside. but it would cause damage to it and the wipers. and it would be quicker to remove it properly.

The clever bit is how it fits. each side has a wide strip of elastic at 45 degrees that slips over the corner top of the doors and 2 large magnets in pockets that go between the doors and the frame each side.

Martin

Can't start calling you Dave now total confusion OG ...throw what across the bonnet ? Have you seen how high it go's ??? I can't even reach up there to clean it ..

Martin Thanks for that ..

OG so when are you buying one I note that Fiamma are at the york show may this be of some assistance to you .Are you going.

Archived