What are you?

crinklystarfish

crinklystarfish - 2007-09-13 4:33 PM

In which case they were as guilty as any bigot of prejudice and discrimination.

I agree. Unfortunately these groups include some well known and outspoken people who have the ear of politicians (or are themselves politicians) and are able to promote their interests over those of others.

Graham

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is entitled 'What are you?' which in itself conjures up images of 'Are you Mouse or Man?' which is a challenging, even agresssive, statement.

'Who are you?' perhaps would not have produced the resultant locking of horns.

I wonder what feelings the original poster of the thread was trying to encourage?

the tortoise - 2007-09-13 6:28 PM This thread is entitled 'What are you?' which in itself conjures up images of 'Are you Mouse or Man?' which is a challenging, even agresssive, statement. 'Who are you?' perhaps would not have produced the resultant locking of horns. I wonder what feelings the original poster of the thread was trying to encourage?

Well it seems obvious to most who have contributed, but if you had any doubt, why not just ask me directly?

Guest caraprof

Actually it was a friendly debate with no nastiness until Old Git decided to say this to Tony:

No doubt you will be ridiculed or pilloried, by those who look for the chance to snipe or carefully select sections of text to answer out of context, but I think it's a very clear, excruciatingly fair and well balanced standpoint.

Let me ask you ladies and try to answer totally impersonally please, do you really think that this is a nice thing to say, to automatically assume that I (and he means me, let's have no doubt) will ridicule or pillory Tony. What's paticularly stupid is that if he'd read this thread properly he'd realise that Tony and I have a lot in common in this debate.

The problem is that some people like OG cannot move on. Have a barny with them and for ages they snipe like above. It slimy and snide and quite frankly I'd much rather have you two. We disagree occasionally but you don't sulk for weeks like a spoiled brats.

Disgaree if you must then forget it until you disagree again!

crinklystarfish - 2007-09-13 8:04 PM

Actually Frank I think the ladies may have been referring to the tortoise. I may be wrong; I'm sure they'll let us know.

Edit:

Maybe not then. Ah well, there goes the thread...

And I think, Mr Crinklystarfish, that the ladies had their tongues welded to their cheeks when they made their comments, get over it >:-)

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-09-13 8:03 PM In my opinion, Frank, you are rude, nit-picking and totally insensitive to others on this forum. You frequently alienate newcomers with your snide remarks and it is about time someone told you how it is. So - up yours, sod off and leave us in peace >:-(

I've no objection to the 'rude' and I know that I can be vigorous in debate but snide, no definitely not! Snide is like Old Git's reference above where he names no one but makes his nasty point, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the debate by the way. He couldn't resist using his reply to Tony to insert a genuinely snide attack on me.

If I have to I'll tell you directly how I feel about you and your viewpoint. I won't dress it up in asides.

Finally, you didn't actually answer my question. Forget your dislike of me and try to answer honestly. Do you really believe that Old Git's comment was fair and that it was right to insert it in what, up to then, had been an extremely civilised debate?

Come on, have the courage of your convictions and try to be unbiased and honest.

caraprof - 2007-09-13 8:15 PM
p>Come on, have the courage of your convictions and try to be unbiased and honest.
You don't frighten me, Frank.Your attitude on this forum does engender reticence in others though.There is a ripple of fear, that in posting comments, you will then pounce upon them and tear apart for no apparent reason, other than your self-gratification.In men especially, this then encourages them to get their oar in first, cover their balls and make comments such as Mr Git felt disposed to.In my opinion, you should perhaps back off, let others have their say, then make a constructive point without openly criticizing them.Think you are man enough?

Guest caraprof

So it was OK for Old Git to pollute the thread with the first nasty bit of criticism in the whole debate. Is that what you're saying? Can I just have a straight answer for once please?

And what's all this about frightening you? That's very unfair and emotive, and you criticise me!

Edited to say - Old Git and I had a row about two weeks ago and since then I've not spoken to him, yet in this thread he sidles in and has a go at me. I've not had a go at him in that period either directly or obliquely, so again, why did he do it and is it reasonable that he did?

Old Git - 2007-09-13 3:26 PM

Sorted Tony - and congratulations.

No doubt you will be ridiculed or pilloried, by those who look for the chance to snipe or carefully select sections of text to answer out of context, but I think it's a very clear, excruciatingly fair and well balanced standpoint.

Although I'm not a practising Christian I would like to think I'm a christian person, and would support the whole of what you say with equal enthusiasm.

Well done that man!

Ok if I am totally honest I did cringe when I saw that ...loads of things went through my mind.. to many to mention Frank did spring to mind.

And that was the carefully select section of text bit that so gives Frank away.............Well thats what I though he was implying anyway .....

I don't want to fight you said be honest this is just my opinion of what I though.

As for the Tortoise he asked what the writer was trying to do I thought the Author was trying to bring peace harmony and understanding for us all as well as tollerance.

Dave

Seems to me that most have kept to the brief of the thread and seems to me to have been a balanced and fair thread. Carol.

Wrote this after page one, now seem page 2 will reply when read that.

Why oh why every time there is a sensible debate going on it ends up like kids arguing. Carol.

caraprof - 2007-09-13 8:28 PM

So it was OK for Old Git to pollute the thread with the first nasty bit of criticism in the whole debate. Is that what you're saying? Can I just have a straight answer for once please

Frank, I have read it and reread it and I think it must be only you that can see this slur.Put your greivances with Mr Git aside, it just isn't relevant here.But that is just my opinion (lol)

Guest caraprof

That I did not expect from you! He anticipates that someone (and we know who he means) would leap in and pillory Tony. Truth is I don't actually think that he did really anticipate that I would, but he simply couldn't resist having the dig.

I'm sorry to say this but I don't really believe that you cannot see his intentions. We may disagree and you may not like me but, and please barf again if you like, I  think that you are an intelligent person and no intelligent person can fail to decipher his message.

Some very interesting points have been made about the actual initial 'subject matter' of this thread.

Depending on people's own experiences, beliefs, upbringing etc, we will all have slightly differing views. No two poeple will believe exactly the same on all matters, not even if they are twins! (separated at birth ... Howie/Tony ...!(lol) )

All we can do is try to respect and be tolerant of each other and hope that others respect us and give us the same tolerance in return. This does not excuse those that have 'sinned' from being scorned, punished etc, based on their unacceptable treatment of others but should NEVER be because of their sex, race, background, orientation, mental or physical capabilities, financial, social etc situation etc, etc.

Religion plays a large part in how some people treat others, religious beliefs influence many but that does not mean that if you are not religious, ie you are agnostic, atheist or whatever, you shouldn't try to live by the same virtues.

Here endeth ... sorry, don't want to 'pinch' your job Tony! ;-) (lol)

J9withdogs - 2007-09-13 8:07 PM
crinklystarfish - 2007-09-13 8:04 PM

Actually Frank I think the ladies may have been referring to the tortoise. I may be wrong; I'm sure they'll let us know.

Edit:

Maybe not then. Ah well, there goes the thread...

And I think, Mr Crinklystarfish, that the ladies had their tongues welded to their cheeks when they made their comments, get over it

Janine,

I genuinely don't understand why you're telling me to "get over it". Get over what exactly? I thought all was going reasonably well with, for once, a reasonable exchange of well thought through ideas that might encourage some of the readers to think about their value systems. One or two efforts to derail it were ignored, and it was going alright.

I always had a notion that it might plummet to the usual boring "he said this, she said that" kind of s**te; but it didn't stop me trying.

I was confused by the series of three cryptic messages by the ladies at the end of page 1, and genuinely thought they referred to the tortoise's post. And then began the usual childish tripe.

So why the instruction to "get over it"?

I made a genuine effort here to have people examine their values, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Thanks for clearing that up michele. And I'm glad you found it interesting. I had intended to move it on to a discussion about why some groups find some words offensive, and how we might remain respectful without being a slave to the PC machine, but hey, I guess people would rather snipe and carp and pursue their own silly little battles for perceived superiority.

Sad.

crinklystarfish - 2007-09-13 10:55 PM>So why the instruction to "get over it"?

I made a genuine effort here to have people examine their values, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Mr Crinkly, I apologise for asking you to 'get over it' and meant nothing derogatory by it. I was merely asking you to accept that I had had enough of the aggressive tone of the thread and that I agreed with Mr Tortoise.Forgive me?

Archived