Engine battery maintenance via solar whilst in storage

Goneoff

A Ducato's socket is rated at 180w(?) so a panel that size.

But it's not that simple, the socket is normally off with the ignition switch.

I have a small Anderson type plug wired to the battery a a 40w panel mounted on the wall of our van shed. 

p.s. do you have solar on the leisure battery? if so this can be 'diverted'.

Edited by colin
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, colin said:

A Ducato's socket is rated at 180w(?) so a panel that size.

But it's not that simple, the socket is normally off with the ignition switch.

I have a small Anderson type plug wired to the battery a a 40w panel mounted on the wall of our van shed. 

p.s. do you have solar on the leisure battery? if so this can be 'diverted'.

Hi and thanks Colin

Our MH is on a Merc Chassis and for sure there is one cab socket that is on when the ignition is off. I do have solar on the leisure batteries but I am looking at the simplest option of maintaining the engine battery. In fact I wired up a couple of Anderson sockets as have done on my previous Burstner and toggled the solar between the hab and engine  battery. 
Thanks again for your help 

Phil 

I understand that Vanbitz produce a 3 wire device  to connect between batteries, with the third wire being a reference earth connection.  A fit and forget unit that should be reatively easy connect at at least some 12V distribution boards.  I believe that Burstner use Schaudt 12V systems.

Alan

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Alanb said:

I understand that Vanbitz produce a 3 wire device  to connect between batteries, with the third wire being a reference earth connection.  A fit and forget unit that should be reatively easy connect at at least some 12V distribution boards.  I believe that Burstner use Schaudt 12V systems.

Alan

Cheers 👍🏼

ATM our van is sat outside on the driveway with the habitation solar charging the cab battery via a Voltronic 3065 battery maintainer, a simple device which has just two wires, one to habitation battery, and other to cab battery, works with LA batteries, not Lithium. I paid £15 for a nearly new one, but you should be able to pick a new one up for around £40.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alanb said:

Alan

A similar 3-wire option with solar charging available to the leisure battery is the CBE CSB2. Cheaper than the Vanbitz solution (at c £40) and somewhat different in operation, but ideally suited if there is solar charging available.

(Whilst this, and the Votronic solution mentioned by Colin, are both unsuitable for Lithium batteries, there are versions of both which are, though they are more expensive and harder to source).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Labby said:

I have solar (120w) going to the leisure battery and a Vanbitz battery master is fitted keeping the starter battery topped up well. Their website has a section with information regarding their battery master device and its operation.

I think this is the route I will take. 
Thanks for your input