Best Avatar

michele

Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-10-02 8:14 PM Anything to oblige, Frank - hows about this one, taken after the diet :D Amazing what Slimming World can achieve!

Thank you, but there was nothing wrong with the original!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank - have you seen that Jan includes, amongst her list of interests, "winding people up"?

Hehehehe........

(I wonder, is that "winding up" as in winding up a clock, or as in assisting people to bring up wind, or even as in winding people with a quick upwards rabbit-punch?)

B-)

"Winding people up".........now let me ponder awhile....

I know, I know, I know!!

(Jumps up and down waving arms frantically to attract attention)

Of course!

It has to be!!

You're the winchman/woman/person (whatever the damn PC title is nowadays) on a mountain/sea rescue helicopter!!!

B-)

My current favourite avatar is Handyman's. Simply because I can't make out what on earth it is...

Runner-up would always be Michele, no-matter what her current avatar is she is just SO lovely.

Howie - bless you - if unly you knew what I am really like >:-). However, the cheque is in the post as requested.

Vixter xxx

Difficult to argue against science, but your avatar is only expressing how you feel about it. Nothing wrong with that, but you must accept that others would disagree. Faith can be a great source of comfort to many, especially in troubled times, so i,m sure you will excuse those who draw comfort from their beliefs.

Howie, should I have to apologise for being shallow? It is afterall a character defect and not something I can control, besides I think it's endearing! :-D

Janine, your picture is very nice and would certainly be in the running for looks on any forum! But then in the real world I would never just judge someone on looks alone, the whole package is important. Fortunately for me my wife has got the lot. Looks, intelligence, personality and sense of humour. And before anyone else says it, she must have to have put up with me for 30 years!

It is dfficult to choose an avtar because they all mean something to you all, but it proves the users of this site are intelligent and have a sense of humour, there are indeed some lookers too. So what I am trying to say is I love you all and you're all special!! :-D

howie - 2007-10-03 11:14 AM ...Faith can be a great source of comfort to many, especially in troubled times, so i,m sure you will excuse those who draw comfort from their beliefs.

Howie,

Of course, though I don't think excuse is the right sentiment. If people take comfort in non-secular belief that is entirely their right. They don't need to be 'excused' by anyone else, least not me.

Indeed I'd venture that such comfort is vital, for were it to be removed, then many would simply be unable to cope with the reality of the secular world.

Each to their own, even those misguided.

But how can you be so sure that its not you thats "misguided". Some of our greatest scientists hold strong Christian beliefs, and as your avatar makes the statement only your view is the right one then are you saying we should discount any other opinions that might in any way contradict yours.

howie - 2007-10-03 12:44 PM

But how can you be so sure that its not you thats "misguided". Some of our greatest scientists hold strong Christian beliefs, and as your avatar makes the statement only your view is the right one then are you saying we should discount any other opinions that might in any way contradict yours.

Howie -

Might I suggest to you and other readers that amongst those scientists who do still hold Christain beliefs, it the the NEW testament that they have placed emotional faith in, not the nowadays disproven myth and folklore of the origins of the human species as portrayed in the old testament (written by people over 2,500 years ago in an attempt to explain - with what little knowledge of the physical world that they they possessed at that time - the origins of the recently emerged species known as human beings on this planet).

Please remember also that the old testament was NOT written in anything like the form that you have seen - it's been bastardised and translated from the original Hebrew, into Latin, and then into English over many mnay iterreations; and ob every ocassion the words and meanings have been changed to suit the political/religious objectives of the organisation making those changes.

This is the exact reason why the Dead Sea scrolls have never been made avialable since their discovery. They are a source document, written at the same time as some of the other stories in the Old Testament - and it would blow away many peoples faith in "their" church if they were to discover how far away the core book that they've placed emotional faith in all their lives is changed from the original it purports to be a copy if.

Most "Christians" did not come to that faith as rational adults, but rather via the process of drip-drip indoctrination as children by the organised Cathoilc and Protestant churches and by the other organs of the State in the West, as well as by continuing encouragement by their parents.

By the time they become adults, they are comfortable with the stories they have been told over and over again, they see all the trappings of authority in that faith, and ti simply acts as a foundation for their adult lives. But because people believe what their parents tell them, what their Shamen tells them, and they want to conform and be accepted within a community which has this faith as an integral part of societal life, it's simply easier not to give yourslef the headache of rationally unravelling all this, so you carry un, unquestioningly.

In EXACTLY the same way, all OTHER religions and communal beliefs, both before and after Chritianity became popluar, have emerged and been spread all through human tribal history.

Those who worshipped the Sun God in Egypt, those who worshipped the old Gods in pre-Roman Britain, etc etc - all were just as ardent in their beliefs as modern Christians, Muslims, Hindus etc are now. And yet ALL those old beliefs have fallen out of favour, as scientific facts have been learned which have rendered their foundations wrong and redundant.

Your point also ignores the tens of thousands of eminent scientists whose emotional beliefs are hindu, muslim, and all the other varieties of organised religions around the world.

Seems to me that only two things matter if you decide that you want to believe in some omnipotent being, to create a God for yourself -

1. That you don't confuse that personal belief that you've developed with a competition against other peoples emotional beliefs - the "My God is better than your God" syndrome.

2. That you remain able, as rational human being, to separate faith in some higher entity, from scientific facts about this planet.

Bottom line for me, and this is absolutely only my personal view, as yours are yours, is that in truth tribal Man has created God, not vice versa.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Archived