Best Avatar

michele

BGD,

Well written and an excellent argument that I personally think is spot on. The thing called faith is just that, faith. The believers out there won't become disbelievers because they will never accept a rational argument no matter what evidence is put. Because they have faith!

I have tried to ask these and other questions to people of religeon when they come to my door. It sometimes amazes me that THEY are the ones who get upset when I don't see their point of view. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told I'm going to go to hell. They don't get it when I say I ain't bothered because I don't see that as a threat because I don't believe in it!

The more questioning among us just have to keep plugging away and have a differing faith, one that hopes that common sense will rule one day!

Keep the faith!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

howie - 2007-10-03 12:44 PM But how can you be so sure that its not you thats "misguided". Some of our greatest scientists hold strong Christian beliefs, and as your avatar makes the statement only your view is the right one then are you saying we should discount any other opinions that might in any way contradict yours.

Hi Howie, 

I’ve just come back in and I sense a bit of swerving. I will respect your wishes to stay with the avatar theme, but please allow me to answer your quote. 

I’m as sure as it is ever possible to be. The evidence is in and there is absolutely no tangible support for any creationist theory.  

I’d challenge you to name a credible contemporary ‘great’ scientist who holds any “strong Christian belief”.

It’s a leap indeed to claim “…and as your avatar makes the statement only your view is the right one then are you saying we should discount any other opinions that might in any way contradict yours”. 

How on earth do you arrive at that? I post under it because it’s what I believe. People are free to decide what they believe, I don’t care. They are welcome to their opinions. As I said earlier, it’s probably a very good thing many people buy into ‘faith’. It is undoubtedly a rock for many. 

It is however just that; faith. It is a creation of humankind. 

My avatar represents my belief, I am happy to use it and make no apology for creating a bit of stimulation for critical thought. 

I’m pulling my head in at this point, I was going to tell the story of Eric the inter-galactic ice cream god, but really do respect your wish not to hijack the thread.

It was suggested that we start a new thread for all this creationism v evolution and faith v science nonsense, to allow this avatar thread to continue unpolluted...........so I just have.

Intellectually critically important stuff on avatars goes in here; and shallow chit-chatter on the other unimportant stuff goes in the other thread.

Right, off you go and play.............

B-)

crinklystarfish - 2007-10-03 8:13 PM

Howie,’d challenge you to name a credible contemporary ‘great’ scientist who holds any “strong Christian belief”.

Hi Steve. Sorry to edit so much of your post but I thought this might interest you. Charles Darwin, member of the Anglican Unitarion Church.

BGD - 2007-10-03 9:25 PM

It was suggested that we start a new thread for all this creationism v evolution and faith v science nonsense, to allow this avatar thread to continue unpolluted...........so I just have.

Intellectually critically important stuff on avatars goes in here; and shallow chit-chatter on the other unimportant stuff goes in the other thread.

Right, off you go and play.............

B-)

Interesting that last comment Bruce, and nice to know what you really think of us. Sorry we don,t come up to to your own high standards of intellect, but there we are, just a bunch of motorhomers enjoying ourselves, and i,m sure if you look hard enough you,ll find other forums that will exercise and stimulate that fine mind of yours.

Crinklefish. As usual I cocked the editing up on my reply to you for which I apologise. You asked me to name a Christian scientist and I gave you Charles Darwin. Just a observation and not a prelude to a argument Steve.

Hey - come on Howie - you know (or I hope you know) that just ain't the case. I was using that quintissentally English trait of irony, nothing more.

(Hot tip: read almost everything I write with tongue formly in cheek)

Dunno if there's some hidden agenda that I've missed picking up on, but as the song says "Girls just wanna have fun".

Lo siento, mi falta.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Archived