What's your greatest claim to fame?

J9withdogs

caraprof - 2007-10-04 8:50 PM
peter - 2007-10-04 8:43 PM Presented with an award from the humane society for hauling two people in big trouble out of the River Witham in Boston Linc's, where I moor my boat. Been married to my shopaholic wife for 30 odd Yrs and still managed to stay solvent, just. :D

Seriously, well done! How long did you spend on the risk assessment before you went to the rescue and weren't they fortunate that you'd previously done your Health and Safety Department's water survival course!

Friend of mine is a retained fireman, he runs in when we run out.Couple of years ago his crew got commendations and reppremands for using breathing apperatus as aqualungs in attempt to save some kids from a sunken car, it's a mad world.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
caraprof - 2007-10-04 8:50 PM
peter - 2007-10-04 8:43 PM Presented with an award from the humane society for hauling two people in big trouble out of the River Witham in Boston Linc's, where I moor my boat. Been married to my shopaholic wife for 30 odd Yrs and still managed to stay solvent, just. :D

Seriously, well done! How long did you spend on the risk assessment before you went to the rescue and weren't they fortunate that you'd previously done your Health and Safety Department's water survival course!

Risk assessment consisted of, bugger me those two poor sod's are drowning. I'd better check that my inflatable is able to carry three people and that I have lifejackets for all on board.In reality it's get your ass over there pronto and do whatever you can to get them on board. But I do have a Skipper's certificat Michele. :D

Mike Harding? Had a lovely chat to him and got his autograph when he visited our concert hall to give a talk.

When I were a lass I went to a David Soul concert and shook his hand!!!!!!!! :-D

Ooo, just remembered, represented our school in the regional relay swimming final. Not much to brag about there really, but this was because the one of the 4 senior girls went ill, and I was the best swimmer in whole of the rest of the school, and swam the final leg, we managed to get second place, I'd never competed properly before either, small thing, but very satisfying nonetheless. They'd seen me swim in our 'inter-house' swimming events where I thrashed everyone I went up against and I'd taken our team from 5th to 2nd in one length of the pool. Don't know how I did it ... I don't think I breathed much though!!!

Oh I'm so jealous, Mel - I had David Soul posters all over my bedroom (lol) (lol)

I did have a kiss from Martin Shaw (ex Professionals) when I once way-layed him at a stage door. And Patrick Mower (Rodney from Emmerdale) similarly.

OK so I was (am) a tart (lol) (lol)

Yup, I know Janine ... I think that's what's got BGD worried! 8-) (lol) ;-)

Mike Harding is an entertainer, he sings daft songs, tells stories and makes people laugh ... he also liked to do exploring in remote places for charity, hence the talk at our place, he'd been to the arctic (or antarctic ... can't remember which) and had some stonking photos to show and tales to tell.

michele - 2007-10-04 10:52 PM

Yeah why not just for you .

had tea with willy today mel

Have returned from village square and can report that Spanish band "Barbus" are UTTERLY dire.

Did however manage to blag 4 enormous glasses of free rioja red wine, and 1 cup of hot chocolate (they were only serving it for the kids but I mugged one little boy and stole it off him, and left him bleeding and sobbing uncontrollably in the gutter - 'cos I'm caring like that).

Am now typing to the sound of the village firework display. How exciting.

A question Michelle - did your willy like being given only tea?

Was he straight and upstanding about it, did he hang his head low ehn that was all that he was offered; or did he spit it out??

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales was my boss. And a very good boss he was too. I was made a "Freeman of the city of Swansea" Many years ago, got the photos but forgot to put a date on them. That means among other things I can be burried where I want. ( after I die of course ) After I'm dead I don't care where I am burried. Oh yes! and I can march through the streets with my band playing!

I once had the staggering privelage of meeting the one & only Bella Emberg. Who? You might well ask. She was the leader, I think, of The Roly Poly's who were at one point attached to Russ Abbotts etc etc show. Well myself & the lads are out in Great Yarmouth one night when we walk past a theatre & the great lady herself is under the bonnet of her car. It's early evening, it's light, we surely posed no threat so offered our help. And yes we were sober. We explained that 2 of our lads are mechanics. "Why don't don't you lot just **** off" she said. We did. Thanks Bella, I'll never forget you.

Martyn

J9withdogs - 2007-10-04 4:32 PM We've heard all about Clive's ownership of Larry Adler's mouth-organ, so what's your claim to fame?

Two claims to fame for me.

I once discovered that my Dad was really Santa Clause. He was handing out toys at the company Christmas do. I knew it was him by his very distinctive Pale blue eyes.

2nd claim to fame was presenting a bouquet of flowers to the Queen of Thailand, on the occasion when they came to open - at that time anyway- Thailand's largest land based Tin mining dredge - designed & built by my late Dad.

Thai

I feel a tangent coming on here ...

Howie, I don't know how to break this to you my little fluffy one, but Santa Clause, Father Christmas, St Nicholas or whatever you call him ... doesn't exist. :-(

But don't dispair ...

There is a Mother Christmas though!!! Who else could organise all those presents at that time of year! :-D

Guest caraprof
howie - 2007-10-05 12:52 PM I,m sure your Dad was a fine engineer and designer Thai, but everyone around here knows without a shadow of doubt that Harry Wallace, chairman of the local round table and town butcher was and is the only true Santa.

I was chairman of my local Round Table and I too played Santa, but only once!

Archived