What's your greatest claim to fame?

J9withdogs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest caraprof
J9withdogs - 2007-10-05 6:14 PM Didn't they like you going round smacking small children and saying 'Bah Humbug', FranK? :D

No, I was young and warm and cuddly then! Love to chat but one of my oldest friends is 60 today and he's having a posh black-tie dinner for family and friends, so I must dash!

With others, once prepared a Luncheon meal of Lamb Cutlet for H.M.T.Q. whilst in the R.A.F. And whilst in the 'Old Bill' had the (dubious) pleasure of having to shake Tony BENN'S hand at an historical strike rally in Sth. Norfolk!!

Things one has to do in the line of duty!!!

Regards Mike.

well i was bought up just outside of kidderminster a place called wolverley, and robert plant live close by at kingsford (think he still does)

and they used to come to our playing fields, quite often.

never asked for a autograph, but perhaps thats why them came.

pete

Guest starspirit

I now realise how lucky I am to have never had to endure the company of so called celebrities.

I have only ever been lucky enough to meet Jackie Stewart, Seb Coe, David Penhaligon (MP as was), Colin Bell - and of course not forgetting all 5'1" of J9.

Although I did once drive the support Motorhome for two guys riding a tandem trike from John O Groats to Lands End in a record time and all to raise money fro Muscular Dystrophy research. That was an interesting 10 days.

Guest starspirit
All except David who was sadly killed in a car crash not far from his home in Cornwall in 1986. Great bloke and a real caring MP.

My claims to fame include writing for MMM as a tech consultant for over ten years. I've driven the NRM's replica of Stephenson's Rocket. I rebuilt the Timothy hackworth museum's replica of Sans Pareil (a contemporary and rival of Stephenson's Rocket). I've driven Sans Pareil at Pickering on the NYMR.

On the weekend of driving Rocket I was handed a wireless headset feeding a PA system and invited to give an impromptu 45 talk to the massed crowds (about 350 steam enthusiasts) about the life and times of Richard Trevithick, without prior warning or preparation!

Oh yes, I am Diamond Dave in PMH 8-)

D.

Many years ago I belonged to a football team in one of the very minor leagues.I wasnt good enough to play and as the team had to supply their own linesman, I did the job. One game that we played we had an absolutely diabolical ref who really didn,t know what he was doing, and of course I did so I had to have say,the ref didnt like it and booked me.I think I was let off with a caution not to do it again. So in those dark days of footy there were still rubbish refs.

Mick H.

Sad to say I really haven't a great claim to fame. Other than, that is, beating the system and being able to retire at fifty two years of age and go motorhoming as a hobby. Would that qualify do you think?

However, I did once employ a German lady who's claim to fame was that Hitler fell over her cleaning bucket on a rather grand occasion - and she lived to tell the tale!

Guest starspirit
RonB - 2007-10-09 8:01 PM

Sad to say I really haven't a great claim to fame. Other than, that is, beating the system and being able to retire at fifty two years of age and go motorhoming as a hobby. Would that qualify do you think?

Dunno Ron all I can say is you beat me to it by three whole years and that it was the best thing I ever did!

Archived