Drugs

howie

Guest Tracker
Mike Parke - 2007-10-15 8:57 PM

Tracker - 2007-10-15 8:45 PM

I meant civilised countries Mike with civilised non egotistical governments?

Sorry Tracker. In that case the U.K. is definately out of it!!

Regards Mike

My point exactly Mike!

Seems to me that you really have to establish WHICH drugs you mean.

Because at the moment the approach of our political Lords and Masters is totally incoherent.

Some, patently harmful-if-taken-to-excess-or-over-an-extended-period substances ARE legal:

Alcohol. Coffee. Tea. Tobacco.

Some, like tobacco and alcohol, are regulated, but were not in former times.

Others like coffee and tea are not at present and have not been in the past.

Some other "drugs" used to be legal, but have been outlawed:

Heroin. Laudenum.

Some FAR less harmful drugs (in terms both of physical harm to the taker, and societal harm to others as a result of the takers consequent behaviour) are still prohibited.

A classic example is cannabis - where all the scientific eveidence shows it to be a very effective herbal painkiller, particularly for sufferers of chronic pain (arthritis, MS, backpain etc).

Additionally, when taken for recreational use, it produces NONE of the aggression and antisocial behaviour traits associated with alcohol consumption.

And yet in the UK alcohol is legal, and cannabis is not.

Personally, I do not like the Nanny-State deciding for me what I may or may not consume - particularly if my personal choices do no harm to others.

My suggestion would be to de-criminalise, but licence and regulate the retail sale of at least Cannabis and Cocaine (note: cocaine, not the derivative crack cocaine).

Supplies would be purchased by the Government Agency from quality-controlled producers, they would be properly and safely mixed to given and consistent strength standards, and they would be available from (say) tobaconists or chemists shops to (say) people over the age of 18.

The Govenment would take a percentage of the nationally regulated retail sales price as tax - just as now with tobacco and alcohol.

Economic benefits to the UK: MASSIVE.

Hundreds of thousands of man hours saved in the Police Service, Courts, prisons.

Hundreds of millions of pounds in public sector costs saved.

Cannabis and cocaine black-market dealers out of business over-night.

Proceeds of sales tax to be spent on effective drug rehabilitation courses for addicts to heroin and crack cocaine.

More room then available in prisons for muggers, rapists, murderers..........

But which political party would actually be brave enough to go to Middle-England with such a radical (if sensible) real-world proposal.

Archived