EHIC Country-by-country guide to entitlement

Don Madge

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this today on another EHIC-related thread, on "Hints & Tips," but I've copied it here as this is a "sticky," and the info may be useful to others in the future:

Glancing through this thread made me wonder about the expiry date of our EHICs. Sure enough, it was last October, and we're off to France on Easter Monday!

So I phoned up the automated system and did the renewal, but was told by the robot lady it'd take 7-10 working days.

Phoned again, sat quietly and ignored all entreaties to speak or press buttons, until I was put through to a real person, nice young Geordie called Kerry, who assured me that our cards would be in force from today even though we hadn't got them, and gave me an emergency phone no which we could use if necessary to get a copy of the card faxed to a hospital or wherever.

If anyone else needs it, it's +44 1912 181999, and option 2.

Tony

• 2 months later...
Passera - 2010-06-11 1:17 PM

Don

Big thanks but is there any updates to include Bulgaria and Romania as I assume they are now "in the scheme"

Hi,

There is an up to date list for the EU at http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/EEAcountries.aspx

For non EU countries see http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/NonEEAcountries/Pages/Non-EEAcountries.aspx

Safe travelling.

Don

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, BGD, Many Thanks for your infomation on the EHIC card and the types of Ambulancia.

We hope to move to Calpe permanently in 2012.

We have a place there ;we will be "pensionistas" at that time.

I get home sick for calpe! we are stuck in 6 inches of snow and -9oc in Northern Ireland..

• 5 months later...
Guest JudgeMental
I have recently had a DVT in my leg and on Warfrin ....visiting Croatia this summer and I will probably need 2 blood test when away. what should I do ? just go to a hospital and ask? or visit a GP? I will probably need a test in Slovenia, Coatia and Italy. (I email results to hospital here, and they email me back the dosage?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don

What a fantastic piece of work.

I know and appreciate how much time and effort you must have put into this.

I was trawling the internet looking for articles in reference to the EHIC card and the Governing bodies holding reciprocal health care. I have an on line business called European Health Translation Card (EHTC-Ltd) for short. I am passionate about highlighting the need for people to get their card and also being able to get medical assistance at a State Healthcare hospital.

Everyone in Europe seems to be obsessed with taking a commision for sending you to a private Medical centre or Hospital. I wanted to make sure by a simple translation card that people traveling in an EU country and who need medical assistance are directed to a Hospital which accepts our EHIC card.

Please take a look at our web site. www.ehtc-ltd.co.uk

Regards Jeff

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Whist visiting Cz Republic last July my in-growing toe nail flared up and I had to go to hospital. I showed my EHIC and with in 30 minutes of arriving I was operated on and was given a prescription for antibiotics and pain killers which I paid for. Very reasonable. Helen my partner had to use the facilities of the same hospital the year before when she caught her thumb in the sliding door of MH and required some stitches.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived