Autotrail Cheyenne 660 (2007 model)

Tomo3090

Guest Le Thou
michele - 2007-12-18 9:11 PM

Probably LEAKS!

On a recent post about A frames Michelle you went to great lengths to explain how you are fed up with the A frame debate and as one knowledgeable gent replied quite rightly "it;s a forum" for gods sake so why come out with a stupid comment to a genuine user who is asking for advice. GROW UP

On what grounds would you say that it will leak?? How well do you know the Autotrail , if at all??

To try and answer you query, we are on our second Autotrail, the previous

one was the Cheyenne which gave excellent service, the build quality is in my opinion above average but you will find that most items are used in most vans, Truma heaters, fridges,dometic etc, so that side should be ok.

The only concern I would have is the cab ie is it the new shape Fiat?? There seems to be certain issues with that conversion, currently we have the Miami on the Renault but that doesn't answer your question, but from a convert to Autotrails they are excellent value for money and well built.

Hope it helps

The current Cheyenne 660 is marketed with alternative chassis (Fiat/4000kg/FWD or Mercedes/3880kg/RWD) and a choice of motors. The Fiat motors are both 4-cylinder and are 2.3 litres/130bhp or 3.0 litres/157bhp. The Mercedes variant has a 4-cylinder motor (2.2 litres/150bhp) or a V6 (3.0 litres/184bhp) and options include an auto-gearbox or twinned-wheel rear axle. The 660 is a large-ish motorhome and quite heavy (over 3.2 tonne on-the-road including 75kg driver and diesel fuel), so it's questionable whether the smaller capacity Fiat motor will genuinely be up to the job when the vehicle is fully loaded. My own choice would be the Mercedes chassis with V6 motor, but I've got money to burn!

Bodywork is well-finished GRP and you can have an over-cab bed or not. The standard interior layout includes a pair of inwards-facing settees (hence no seat-belts), though there's the option of a half-dinette version, replacing the offside settee, that offers two 3-point belts.

Water-tank capacity on the Fiat version is nothing special (100 litres fresh and 68 litres waste), while the Mercedes-based 660 has a parsimonious 86 litres/fresh and 45 litres/waste. Heating is via a Truma 6kW gas/230V 'combination' appliance. The capacity of the leisure-battery capacity is a mite ungenerous at 100Ah, as is the gas-locker's (1 x 6kg bottle + 1 x 13kg).

That's just a brief sight-unseen overview based on Auto-Trail's 2007 brochure.

Guest Tracker

We have a 2006 Autotrail Tracker and it does the job quite well.

It looks good and appears well made but on the road there are considerably more bodywork rattles and squeaks that we experienced with Auto Cruise or Auto Sleepers.

However as all vans do seem to be getting more flimsy to save weight, newer offerings from the other two might be just as bad - I don't know.

It was simple enough to add a second leisure battery to improve non electric camping.

Thanks people. I have seen the brochure and talked to a salesman, (so you know the limit of my experience!) We are comparing it to a Bessacarr E560 as a replacement for our Avantgarde, and will be long term touring in one or t'other.

I am going to the show in Manchester in Jan and at the NEC in Feb before making up our minds.

Thanks

Hi, we have a 2006 Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE, which is just what we require. Fabulous vehicle but the quality control let them down badly. Nothing major but really silly things, all corrected over time by the dealer but this does invlove getting vehicle to them and then collecting. Not all faults spotted at once so a number of trips to the dealer. My only advice is check vehicle over thoroughly.

Visited factory as you can do, they work on piece work, enough said!

Gerry

Guest Tracker

It looks like a good all round layout and can I just ensure you are aware of a few points?

Have you driven any 24' long vehicles?

Are you aware just how much space it will need to park and to turn round?

Parking in 'marked bays' is the first casualty and even getting into two bays can be a bit of an issue at times, with narrow lane exploring being something of an adventure requiring nerves of steel and good driving and width judgement ability.

Beds with 'cut off' foot ends can be uncomfortable if the outer occupant is tall, and bedding to fit can be an issue too.

The lounge with two bench seats makes for comfortable 'foot up' lounging as long as the TV can be positioned where you can see it.

We came close to buying a Dakota earlier this year but decided on the smaller van as we want to do some long range touring and 'off the beaten track' exploring before we settle down to the undoubted greater comfort of a bigger van.

As long as you are aware, and the van still suits your needs, then either of your choices is very viable, although there are some build quality issue with the new base vehicle and some dealers are more supportive than others.

Oh yes, and definitely no leaks to date!

On a recent post about A frames Michelle you went to great lengths to explain how you are fed up with the A frame debate and as one knowledgeable gent replied quite rightly "it;s a forum" for gods sake so why come out with a stupid comment to a genuine user who is asking for advice. GROW UP

Le Thou . It was a personal joke between me and Tomo or meant to be until you picked the bones out of it .

Where do you get off telling me to grow up I ask who took your jam out of your doughnut ?

I wasnt aware that I had upset you obviously I have ,oh dear . And before you tell me to grow up you need to think of your own actions what was it you don't want to start a debate about A frames again

your having a chuckle.

Merry Christmas dear have a happy new year if you can.

Guest Tracker
michele - 2007-12-19 10:46 AM

Le Thou . It was a personal joke between me and Tomo or meant to be until you picked the bones out of it .

Where do you get off telling me to grow up I ask who took your jam out of your doughnut ?

I wasnt aware that I had upset you obviously I have ,oh dear . And before you tell me to grow up you need to think of your own actions what was it you don't want to start a debate about A frames again

your having a chuckle.

Merry Christmas dear have a happy new year if you can.

You be careful you two, or you will accused of turning a sensible thread into insane banter by someone?

michele - 2007-12-18 9:11 PM Probably LEAKS!

Another stupid unfounded comment! Why does she do that? Probably best ignored.

We also have an Auto-trail Miami on the Renault and are very pleased with it. Definitely no leaks!!!

Odd problem with other manufacturers units put into it but the build quality is excellent. Shame they don't do the Renault any more and if it were me I would go for the Mercedes. Wouldn't touch the Fiat for at least 12 months until they have sorted out the probs.

Off to fetch ours from storage for Xmas now!!!

John I should start by saying I am sorry but then I can do that I know when I am wrong but I suppose that s because I'm a woman .

So to set the record straight once again it was a personal joke which Tomo will probably have no problem with but others seem to have .

I have no feeling about the Autotrail vehicles either one way or the other as a matter of fact what I have seen of them is very nice indeed so don't take it so personal . I wasn't slagging off your vehicle or Le thous vehicle what I meant was if its a new vehicle on the new cab it may have trouble as countless others are with the water ingress.

I do hope this has cleared this little matter up and before you all jump on your high horse I wonder if anyone can put there brain in gear so fast and say sorry to me.

I live in hope thats the trouble with this place no one wants to say oh what do you mean please explain ,they just come back with insults .

Nice . Lets all throw the teddys.

Miami quote

Odd problem with other manufacturers units put into it but the build quality is excellent. Shame they don't do the Renault any more and if it were me I would go for the Mercedes. Wouldn't touch the Fiat for at least 12 months until they have sorted out the probs.

Would that be because irrelevant to what make or model the new ones are letting in water?

Better said than me obviously.

Thanks Rich ,

John see it takes a gentleman to apologise thank you kindly sir.

Merry Christmas everyone lets enjoy . :D

Tomo I can live with a draught through the doors

a poor cab heater the devil you know BUT I can't live with the water getting in damaging my hard earned pride & joy What ever make

I never doubted that you would .

Well obviously I cant help you with the rest maybe one of the lads can

Just glad we got that sorted out finally . My friends have the Cheyenne had a few teething problems well actually more than a few but down to the dealers have to add they are very happy with theirs finally.

But must also add they are now going to France withus heading for the snow and they were asking us if theirs was winterised .

Obviously not knowing about the new vehicles or wether this is now an option with Autotrail I dont know where you holiday or your intended useage but might just be something to look out for .

I have spoke with Miami re his freezing and I know his isnt ...

I know the Bessacarrs are ? Just a thought not implying you should buy a Bessie. Good luck what ever you choose.

Thanks John .

Theres lots I admit to not knowing I am an expert on nothing and freely admit it.

Today on reading Handymans thread is the first time that I ever knew that they only (not the correct words ) gaurantee it to so many degrees below .

My friends and myself Autotrail 660 and a Bessacarr will have major probs I think at the mo it is apparently -17 last night ? .

Guest Tracker
michele - 2007-12-19 9:15 PM

Thanks John .

Theres lots I admit to not knowing I am an expert on nothing and freely admit it.

Today on reading Handymans thread is the first time that I ever knew that they only (not the correct words ) gaurantee it to so many degrees below .

My friends and myself Autotrail 660 and a Bessacarr will have major probs I think at the mo it is apparently -17 last night ? .

I am impressed Michele - if your van is working well and you are warm and snug and frost free inside at -17C outside perhaps we should all consider buying a Bessie?

Are you on gas or electric?

Rich ,

I'm at home you silly buggar :D just been keeping my eye on the webcam and site for where we are going . It does not seem to have put the caravans off the webcam has just had another two caravans turn up .

If they are coping I'm sure we will . Last year I dont know what it was but we had no problems at all we used gas and electric .

Guest Tracker
michele - 2007-12-19 9:24 PM

Rich ,

I'm at home you silly buggar :D just been keeping my eye on the webcam and site for where we are going . It does not seem to have put the caravans off the webcam has just had another two caravans turn up .

If they are coping I'm sure we will . Last year I dont know what it was but we had no problems at all we used gas and electric .

GOTCHA.

Le Thou - 2007-12-18 9:22 PM

michele - 2007-12-18 9:11 PM

Probably LEAKS!

On what grounds would you say that it will leak?? How well do you know the Autotrail , if at all??

I say old chap, that's a bit strong isn't it to one of the "Nice" people on here. I think you've got a frigging cheek. Look at it this way, It's made in the U/K is it not! So eventually it will probably leak/fall appart or possibly both. That is my opinion of the van and Michele expressed hers. Which is exactly what the original poster requested. >:-)

Archived