Autotrail Cheyenne 660 (2007 model)

Tomo3090

We had a 2004 model cheyenne 660 SE and had nearly 4 very good years touring with it. Now we have a 2008 model which we like from the layout point of view.

The 2007 model is a little different :

It has some underfloor storage amidships so to speak which the 2008 hasn't and we were dissapointed about. We also don't like the fact that the batteries as more exposed to the elements being under the side skirts so will feel the cold weather.

There is a smaller cupboard above the fridge, it is larger in the 2008 model.

What we miss is the lack of an outside locker by the seating area. Our 2004 had a locker on the nearside. On 2007 and our 2008 model the Gas locker is now on the nearside so cannot have a locker door giving access to underseating area. So that just leaves underbed and a small locker on offside. Although as stated 2007 model has some underfloor storage.

The 2008 model has some storage where the spare wheel used to be but the 2007 model still has the spare wheel I believe.

The 2007 has the flat screen tv sockets at the entrance RHS which I think is a silly place to put a tv when people are going in and out and could easily knock the tv. However it does also have a place at the foot of the fixed bed.

Build quality I feel is one of the best and looked at lots of Continental vans when at the NEC but felt their fitments, furniture etc were quite flimsy in comparison. the insulation/thickness of roof, floor and walls is better than a lot of the continental motorhomes.

All in all it is a great long term touring van but it is 24' long so need to be prepared for that when touring.

Le Thou - 2007-12-20 9:13 PM

Think it must have been one of the "chellite" appreciation society members, that's my opinion of which I am entitled to.

Oooh you do have a problem don't you :D

Why should you be entitled to an opinion I wasn't ,what was it GROW UP.

Seems the pot calling the kettle . I know who needs to GROW UP and it aint me . Thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it .

God! kids stuff

:D

Guest Le Thou

Hi Zul

Nice post, we have theMiami and there are always certain aspects that niggle cos nothing ticks absolutely every box but for us tha Miami is a superb piece of kit. Our previous van was the Cheyenne with the superb rear bathroom but the make up bed was hard work.

I don;t think there is the perfect va out there but you need to buy partly on build quality and reliability. When you look at what is available the Auto trail is in my mind very good value for money, and finally on your final comment about touring just a thought that if you plan to take a car with you it's best to use a trailer cos A frames are 100% illegal

Enjoy

Le Thou - 2007-12-20 9:58 PM  if you plan to take a car with you it's best to use a trailer cos A frames are 100% illegal Enjoy

Your opinion of course!!! At last, I see we have an expert on the law and everything else. Perhaps you can solve the trade balance deficit aswell!

You are obviously the kind of guy that really does have to have the last word aren't you?

Guest Le Thou
Which trade balance are you talking about John, maybe I can help you on that, I never said I was an expert just going off previous quotes from my more learned friends on here

Tomo3090 - 2007-12-21 10:44 AM

We are not worried about A frames, trailers or anything like that 'cos we won't be towing owt!

Thanks for your input gang, we can't wait for the shows now so we can make our final judgement!

And then buy a German or French van.

a: because they are better built.

b:because they are better styled.

c:because most are better winterised

d:because they aren't built by people who still build with crappy caravan style interiors.

Have a really good look at the Continental competition before you part with you hard earned. I certainly would and in fact did. As most British vans are old fashioned and fuddy duddy. IMO.

Guest Tracker
Frank Spencer - 2007-12-21 4:53 PM

Tomo3090 - 2007-12-21 10:44 AM

We are not worried about A frames, trailers or anything like that 'cos we won't be towing owt!

Thanks for your input gang, we can't wait for the shows now so we can make our final judgement!

And then buy a German or French van.

a: because they are better built.

b:because they are better styled.

c:because most are better winterised

d:because they aren't built by people who still build with crappy caravan style interiors.

Have a really good look at the Continental competition before you part with you hard earned. I certainly would and in fact did. As most British vans are old fashioned and fuddy duddy. IMO.

Really credible advice from an anonymous imposter - or is it?

Guest Le Thou
michele - 2007-12-21 2:42 PM

What a wuss.

If thats how you conduct yourself I am amazed you have any.

:D :D :D :D :D :D ROTFLMAO.

Merry Christmas everyone.

What gves you the right to have a stab at people when it suits you?? Yet when someone has a go at you we get little pm's "What have I ever done to you"

People in glass houses ??

You're right in some cases Frank, but what has surprised us when we have looked at the "foreign" vans is the colour of the interior woodwork and in many cases the "loud" patterns and colours of the furniture. The wood on the Rapidos and Hymers is almost orange! It reminded me of David Dickensons' tan!

And whoever thinks the French have style? Have you seen the colour of red they use in their vans?

Each to their own of course and if either of those mentioned above are your particular joy then who am I anyway! But we do like the light modern interior of both the vans we are, at present(!) favouring, but like all vans a compromise will have to be made somwhere, that and price of course.

Happy Christmas to one and all!

:-D

Tomo

You should be able to leave the Fiat supplied life-jackets in the packing (lol), most of the new production will have the covers and other mods done before they deliver, if it is a used one then make sure all the mods and other recalls are done before parting with any money, apparently a lot of dealers have not seen this water ingress problem, even though all their X250 models have rusting injectors. This is our first MH and so far we are very happy with our choice apart from the Water Feature :-> , a friend had a Merc chassis on his MH and he has not had any water features but it has had some reliability issues, so it would appear that they are not as bulletproof as we are led to believe.

Good Luck with whatever you choose

Chris

Archived