"fully winterised" motorhome..........my a*** !

handyman

well, it worked fine on top of a mountain in the alps, appart from this box area that froze. I will now fix it myself (easily) and then i think the van will be fine down to the same very cold temps.

As for the phrase winterised, i didnt know there was any difference in the term, as a lot of others as well. All i wanted was a van that would work in ski areas, and thought if it said winterised, that it would. Didnt look into the term any more than that.

As brian says, it still appears to have performed very well in such bad conditions, and once this box is heated, i will still be happy with the van. It was 29K new (well 1 year old unreged) so it was a very good price anyway. If I'd spent 40K on it then i might be annoyed more.

On the other hand, in 3-4 years when we change the van, i will look into the term more and get a -15 degrees van for sure.

I suppose I have to take back what I've been annoyed about the van, as its unfair when compaired to the spec..........leason learned.

theres obviously a big difference in spec between 'fully winterised' and 'winterised' and as i was looking at so many adverts at the time, they merged into one (in my mind). But, on the other hand, i dont think there was a van fully winterised for 29K new, so not so bad then

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wills Wagon - 2007-12-19 9:25 PM

While I enjoy the Forum many people are just wasting everybody else's time by gossiping. This thread has a quote by Handyman about their vehicle without naming the manufacturer and model. Bit like pissing in the wind. You get wet but no help to anybody else!!!!!!!!!!!

but still no appology from wills *-) >:-( *-) >:-( *-) >:-( *-) >:-(

(lol)

Hi

I would like to know what exactly the term "fully winterised" means?

My van is classed as Grade 3 insulation which, according to my understanding, means that at an external temp of -15 degrees centigrade, the heating system should maintain an interior temperature of +20 degrees C. I have yet to experience -15 with this van, but I have so far encountered -7 degrees C and all was well.

The pump and various pipes are within the twin floor, and a Truma warm air pipe is in close proximity. The fresh water tank is inboard and again, a Truma pipe is close by. I am not sure about the waste tank - but I leave the drain tap open.

I am of the opinion that the Dethleffs 7871-2, the Burstner 747-2 and so on are sold as winterised, but what exactly does it mean? There must be a limit somewhere to what the vans can take.

Russell

Russell

For details of what your "Grade 3" means, please read the above quote from the Caravan Club.  "Fully winterised" is a commonly used, but non-specific, term which, basically, has whatever meaning its user attributes to it.

If the van is built to EN 1645-1 Grade 3, it is probably close to meeting what most would expect "fully winterised" to mean.  However, many UK produced vans are only to Grade 2 (because we don't have severe winters!), and there is no obligation on manufacturers to adopt the Euro standard (It is BS-EN 1645 in UK).  However, if they claim compliance, they must meet the standard.

Archived