Plastic Bags. (Yes or No)

Hymer C 9.

omidknight - 2008-02-29 10:51 AM

How about rubber bags then? Any SAS men out there know how many litres a condom holds? Least they would not blow around when empty as they would shrink to the original size. Maybe even recycle them?

Rob, I dare not even begin to think about your suggestion, let alone ask if you mean used ones for rubbish. 8-) :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker
donna miller - 2008-02-29 11:35 AM

How about rubber bags then? Any SAS men out there know how many litres a condom holds? Least they would not blow around when empty as they would shrink to the original size. Maybe even recycle them?

Rob, I dare not even begin to think about your suggestion, let alone ask if you mean used ones for rubbish. 8-) :D

The thought of the countryside littered with condoms hanging where every plastic bag now resides is one for the imagination!

But at least being rubber they soon degrade.

K&D - 2008-02-28 8:49 PM

problem is id say about 90% of people do not give a sh1t. so the only way to solve this problem is to ban carrier bags. take your own shopping bags, what were those big nylon type bags called kind of a reddy colour

Weren't they called " the big red nylon shopping bag thingies" :D :D

donna miller - 2008-02-29 11:35 AM

That would be down to the individual user ;-)

PS how can one turn on emotion titles please?

Remember... if you've recycled, you've failed. Sure, recycling is much better than disposing, but with the energy used in recycling, it runs a poor third to re-using and a very poor second to not using it in the first place.

Everytime I buy just a few items in the supermarket, I like to carry them loose in my hands. The person on the checkout always thinks I'm mad and can't believe I don't want a plastic bag. If you don't need a bag, don't use it. And if you need it, re-use a plastic or "for-life" one. This should apply to everything in life, not just plastic bags. If not because of the environment, simply because to do anything other is such a waste.

Unfortunately replacing plastic bags with paper bags isn't the solution, nearly as much effort and materials etc goes into producing them as it does to produce plactic bags, they are not environmetall friendly either. The only way to be environmentally friendly in this regard is to take your own re-usable bags.

Now, who wants to have a nice wicker basket then, or what about one of those lovely stringy things that stretch to 100 times their size but where everything drops out, or even one of those ones that packs down to the size of a purse! :-D

Since the Daily Mail started this campaign I had never taken any notice of bits of plastic lyeing around.

Now I take note, and I find that there is tons and tons of the stuff littering everywhere and about 75% of it is plastic bags

We will have to get back to the old local store and drop the superstores before we will get rid of them I fear

Way back in the dark ages, there were no plastic bags, and when folk went shopping, they took a bag, or a basket, with them.  However, most folk bought smaller amounts, more often.  If we all have our own our bags, the disposable single use bags will become redundant. 

However, that is just the disposable bag, and it is a very tiny component of what gets thrown away.  Plastic food packaging is a far greater problem, both in terms of the hydro-carbons used in its manufacture, and in terms of the quantity that is non-recyclable (or is simply not recycled) and goes to landfill. 

Final irony, our local authority won't handle our household rubbish, unless it is in a bin liner!  We're still working on that one!

However, living near the coast, I am absolutely staggered by the amount of plastic along the high tide line.  Bits of toys, bottles, the odd boat fender, varying grades and colours of rope, plastic nets, shoes, plastic sheet, bags of all kinds, not a few hypodermic syringes, fishing line, it is truly shocking when you realise this stream of plastic refuse circles the whole country, and every other country with a coastline that I have ever visited.  This is waste on a truly gargantuan scale alongside which fussing over a few flimsy supermarket bags, important though they may be, does seem little more than an easy, token, hit.  Or am I just a cynic?

No Brian your not a cynic it is horrible to see the plastic rubbish on our coast lines and hedgrows everywhere, things are discarded so easily and what the awnser is I have no idea, but if it is a small start to have less plastic bags to be thrown / blown away ending up in rivers seas and hedgerows and my pet hate hanging off trees, then useing reusable bags could be a small start. Carol.

Hi

In some countrys in the E.U. they are banned, Ireland being one of them.

We all said this is the E.U gone mad, but it worked. We just had to get used to having our own bags. it took some time just like the smoking ban and it worked aswell. the country side is a lot cleaner now and the pubs,

shops etc' the air is well improved,

So you never know. It is always hard to find a balance. For all that was at the NEC did you get your nice red bag? (eurocamp)

Regards,

Brendan.

onecal vw - 2008-03-01 8:52 PM Hi In some countrys in the E.U. they are banned, Ireland being one of them. We all said this is the E.U gone mad, but it worked. We just had to get used to having our own bags. it took some time just like the smoking ban and it worked aswell. the country side is a lot cleaner now and the pubs, shops etc' the air is well improved, So you never know. It is always hard to find a balance. For all that was at the NEC did you get your nice red bag? (eurocamp) Regards, Brendan.

Not strictly true.

They're not banned in Ireland, but since 2002 customers have had to pay for them and usage has reduced by 90% - food for thought.

Hi,

Since 2003, the bags have to be biodegradable. There was a six month lead in time and after that any outlet found using non biodegradable bags incurred a fine.

Very few outlets carried any bags as the cost was high. To-day we all bring our own non plastic bags and the shops/outlets may offer you a paper bag/bags.

Regards,

Brendan.

• 6 months later...
I wondered after posting this in Feb. if it would be a flash in the pan or if things would change and less plastic bags would be used, well nearly six months later I have to say yes I have seen changes when you go to the supermarkets now half the people have their own bags with them, and you do not see loads of bags out waiting to be taken you have to ask. On Saturday went to Asda for some odds and ends took bags with me but was one short had to ask for one and was told that after Christmas they will not be giving bags out any more - only one step I know but lets hope in a couple of years we will see less plastic bags hanging out of trees and in streams & rivers. Have you noticed any differences. Carol.

Yes Carol, there is a definite difference here in the local Tesco .... they no longer pull them off the rack in preparation for you needing them - they presume you may not. Likewise more people are bringing their own. I wonder whether f someone had told us of this scenario twelve months ago we would have believed it.

Change takes time Joy, but I agree it is working, certainly in our area most people can be seen with their own bags. We have some large hessian ones with a logo on saying, 'my bag is not rubbish' Mind you it can get a bit heavy if full, so we tend to buy less or just put everything back in the supermarket trolley, wheel it to our vehicle and then load it into containers in the boot.

When sainsbury's brought in the 'bags for life' gf brought what she thought was 4 of them for 40p? each, last week the handle on one broke, today she asked for a new one when doing shopping, no they would not replace it, the 'bags for life' are not the 40p 'woven' one's but the 10p thicker plastic one's.

We use Quick Check at Waitrose and have used the same shopping bags for about 4 or 5 years. The beauty is that everything is packed as you go and the bags lift out of the trolley straight into the car. Probaly saved a few thousand plastic bags!

David

I started refusing plastic bags long before all this started :-S I hate the damned things who wants a draw full of plastic bags? I have two large tesco food bags and a couple of M&S cotton bags for my main shop, and a fold up large bag with wheels on for my Saturday shop! and before someone say I wouldnt be seen dead pulling one of those :-S just wait till you are getting a nerve trapped in your neck and you will be glad of one. Have you noticed that in France and Germany you wouldnt even be able to buy one, everyone there takes in their own bags. and you dont see the rubbish blowing about like in this mucky country.

I can't understand why, when Sainsburys were giving away reusable bags, people took them, but still every week we see the idiots taking 10 or 12 of the free ones. Every supermarket should be obliged to charge for plastic bags as they do in Ireland and in lots of French Supermarkets.

Archived