Overnight at Puy de Dome

onecal

Hi,

At a meeting last night we had a few requests, does anyone know if you can park overnight at Puy de Dome "Clermont-Ferrand". I know there is a Toll road but I dont know if they allow overnight parking.

Or anywhere close Volcania etc'.

Regards,

Brendan.

You certainly used to be able to park at the top of the Puy de Dome and if you can choose a clear evening the sunset is absolutely stunning. However the last time I tried to go up in the evening I was refused entry so had to park up for the night at the bottom. Suggest you contact the Tourist Office in Clermont-Ferrand.

Thanks Patrica,

I contacted the tourist board and they were very helpful. I do believe that the signage for Puy de Dome is changed around in the summer and gives all, the long scenic route.

They don't allow parking anymore :-(

Thanks a Mil' for the info, Hope I can be of help sometime, again thank you very much.

Regards,

Brendan.

It is a great pity they have stopped overnight parking up the puy but I expect it is for safety reasons - the wind really blows up there as it has its own micro-climate quite different to down in Clermont. Did they say that you could still drive up in the daytime? Did you get any feedback about the car parks lower down? Actually I think the space that we parked in some years ago was just a gravelled area, not a car park as such. Unfortunately that part of France has experienced problems with large (and small) groups of travellers who have had to be moved on and often don't have any money.

Hi,

Yes you can still drive up in daylight and indeed many cycle up. They say you can only park at the bottom during the day and no overnight parking. I have got back reports from other members that there is no problem. It changes from year to year. Safety is a big problem but I sometimes wonder is this over-exaggerated. We now know of an aire at the bottom but we also got back reports of trouble with motorhomes last year. One just has to be careful. Again Patricia thanks for your help.

Regards,

Brendan.

Archived