Oil choices.

panagah

Ok petrol and self servicing techie heads.

I apologise if this has been covered before my time but would apprieciate some advice for the following. I have always carried out my own servicing and am due to do it again in the next week after quite a heavy winter of touring.

I would like some discussion on whether people use synthetic oil or standard mineral oil. I am thinking of treating the old girl to some fully synthetic oil but just unsure if its worth paying the cash out. i usually change the oil and filter at least every 5k and see some benefits (advertising) that suggests a change to fully synthetic would be good. Does anyone use an engine flush when changing the oil? if so would they have any evidence to reccomend such.

I know that your advice is always worth reading so thanks in anticipation.

incedently the van is an 03 with 27k.

With your 'van being an 03 I would expect at least semi synthetic to be specified if not fully synthetic. First check what is specified. I see no good reason to use any oil other than that specified by the engine manufacturer. Personally I only ever use a flushing oil if the engine has been neglected by previous owners.

D.

If you do change to fully synthetic oil remember to change all of your filters and you should not top up with any other oil rather than synthetic.

Synthetic works best by itself. diluting with regular oil only hinders the friction-reducing qualities of the synthetic. it is pricey, but a plus is that you can go longer between changes because synthetic oil molecules form long chains that break apart much slower than normal oil.

Regards Pat

I use full synthetic, the cheapest I can get and that means keeping one eye pointed at Halfords for their regular half price sale of own brand full synthetic.

There are very few manufacturers of full synthetic oils, most I understand come out of just 2 plants!

Mobil 1 is OK if you tow a cash machine behind!

Clive - 2008-03-31 12:14 PM

Mobil 1 is OK if you tow a cash machine behind!

However it is considerably cheaper from some French Supermarkets, so instead of a few extra bottles of cheap plonk bring in the Mobil 1, you save more!

I am an avid supporter of good brand Synthetics such as Mobil1; can accept its probably not worth it if changing regularly, but its a cheap price relative to the engine or even the turbo.

It is its higher temperature stability for hard working turbo diesel engines, like ours, that I see as an important asset.

Hi.

Be careful when using 0-40 full syn'. Some motors that are not in constant use and have been using non- syn' on some previous changes can start to put some out the exhaust and damage the convertor.>:-(

If you are going to use full syn' try and use 15-50 and always make sure you do not overfill :$ and change the oil filter.

Great to see you doing regular oil changes and with this good practice maybe simi-syn' 15-50 would be a good and cheaper choice. (o)

Regular changes is No 1.

Regards,

Brendan.

It's perhaps worth adding that there's not just one Mobil 1, as this brand-name covers a whole range of synthetic oils of varying viscosity and aimed at particular applications. I've seen plenty of cheaper-than-in-the-UK Mobil 1 in French supermarkets, but it normally seems to be of the type intended for petrol-engined vehicles.

As far as I can ascertain there is no Mobil 1 'type' that exactly matches the Ford Specification given in my 2005 Transit's handbook and I use a semi-synthetic Duckhams oil that does match that specification.

I follow Dave Newell's straightforward philosophy - use the oil type/viscosity that the vehicle manufacturer specifies. Vehicles are machines not people - 'treating' your motorhome to a hyper-expensive dose of oil suitable for a Formula 1 racing car will not have the same positive effect as giving your wife/husband an expensive present!

Basil - 2008-04-01 3:09 PM

I usually use Millers XFE (semi synthetic Diesel specific) in ours but if you want to use a fully synthetic then I would use XFD.

See

http://www.dometicmanuals.com:8080/dometic/masterdometic.nsf?Opendatabase

Not worth skimping on oil in my opinion.

Bas

Many apologies, the web address should have been see

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

not sure what happened there.

Bas

Sorry Dave I did see your post, it also appears your right as per usual.

According to my data the correct Oil to use is in fact 10w40. I cant see this as fully synthectic so assume the best oil to use would be part synthetic. Does that sound about right with what your saying?

thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, please ignore my earlier petulance, its hereditary I think :D . All you have given is the viscosity ratings which are nothing to do with whether or not its mineral, semi synth or fully synth. There should be some more detail in the handbook about the correct oil for your 'van.

D.

panagah:

Fully synthetic oil is available in 10W-40 viscosity. See

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx

However, this would not be something you'd find in your local "Motor World" shop.

As Dave says, the oil(s) suitable for a vehicle will be specified in the vehicle's handbook. In my 2005 Transit's case, in the "Engine oil change" handbook section a Ford/Motorcraft branded "Formula E" SAE 5W-30 is given (unsurprisingly) as first choce, followed by oils with 5W-30 viscosity meeting Ford Specification WSS-M2C913-B. There's also a "Engine oil top-up" section in the handbook specifying alternative 'last resort' oils that may be used for topping-up if the previously-mentioned types are unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copied and pasted from the Castrol site:

Make FORD

Model Transit 2.4 Di DuraTorq (RWD - 66/92kW)

Engine DT

Year 2000-

Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr)

Engine (DT) MAGNATEC 5W-30 A1 (g) 7

Manual Transmission SMX-S 1.3

Automatic Transmission

Differential REFER TO MAIN DEALER 2.6

Coolant (50%) REFER TO MAIN DEALER 6.7

Power Steering TQD

Brake Fluid RESPONSE SUPER DOT 4

Hide Notes Oil Change Intervals

Lubricant / Capacity Notes

g. Diesel from 08/98 (except Transit and Ranger): Endura 1.8, -DE, DE (TC), DE (TCI), DI, EO FRD 913A/912A1 5W-30, Duratorq1.8 EO FRD913B 5W-30 (A3B3 5W-40/10W40 can be used for top-up); 2.5 DI and 2.5 TD Transit, A3B3 5W-40/10W-40, A2B3/A3B3 15W-40 can be used for top-up only; 2.4 Di Transit, A1B1/A3B3 5W-30/5W-40 can be used for top-up only; 2.5 WL and 2.5 WL-T Ranger, A1B1/A2B2/A3B3 10W-30, A3B3 5W-40/10W-40 can be used for top-up only. Diesel up to 07/98 (except 1.8 Endura, -DE, DE-TC, DE-TCI, Transit, -2.5 DI, 2.5 Turbo Diesel): A3B3 10W-40/A2B2/A3B3 15W-40/5W-40; 1.8 Endura, -DE, DE-TC, DE-TCI, A3B3 10W-40/5W-40; Transit, -2.5 DI, Turbo Diesel, A1B1/A2B2/A3B3 10W-30/5W-40/10W-40/A2B2/A3B3 15W-40

Regards Pat

Thanks for all your help guys as per normal.

Strange that I have always let my local partco supply my oil and gone with what they said and never really thought it through.

Quite an interesting debate, really as to what is the best. I fully accept why people would use fully synth, but on looking and going through the data it lookas as if semi synth would be best. All the books at my local partco and a study of my handbook can't find a listed compatible fullly synthetic.

It's nice to know that some people still service their own vehicles, if you look under a modern bonnet and there's a few yellow bits to check and that's it. When I service my 1995 Diesel Transit I use a Semi Synthetic 10-40W from a local parts dealer. As for flushing, no I've never done this, I always empty when the engine is hot, just after a 5 mile drive or so. Allways do the filters, Oil Air and Fuel at the same time. Whip off the inlet pipe to the air manifold and clean out any black crap from there.

PS, Same goes for the gearbox, do it when the box is warm. :-D

Archived