Advice on buying campervan for winter use

david1949

I will be downsizing to a campervan soon but only if I can get one that I will be comfortable in in the winter. Now I do know that the UK conversion are rubbish for winter use so would anyone on the forum know of any good European camper van. I do know that there is a very good installation material that’s like heavy stick on tin foil that good for summer and winter use and this might be the type that may be used for the continental campervans not the loft installation they use in the UK thanks for any forthcoming advice

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David, don't assume that all UK camper vans are cr*p for winter use! Like mainland Europe ones, they vary.

When you say you want it for winter - where? Winter in the UK will be different to winter in Southern Spain for example.

I have a 2012 Autocruise Accent (part of the Swift group now) and once I'd done a few tweaks to it to make it more winter friendly we found it nice and snug - we used it in March in all the snow whilst at Newark show. On the first night when temperatures dropped to well below freezing we were a bit chilly but we bought an extra duvet so on the second night when temperatures dropped again we were wonderfully toasty and this was WITHOUT the heating on. During the day we found it was easy to keep it nice and warm too.

I will be spending most of the winter in the UK with the van except January when i go over to Hamburg to see friends for a month . Looked at the Hymer van and the rapido van sent them an Email to get information about what type of installation they use got no reply.

Guest 1footinthegrave
david1949 - 2013-12-11 1:13 AM

I will be spending most of the winter in the UK with the van except January when i go over to Hamburg to see friends for a month . Looked at the Hymer van and the rapido van sent them an Email to get information about what type of installation they use got no reply.

Look for one that is Winter proofed and certified to EN1646 standard from whatever manufacturer, and it may surprise you to know some British vans do have that spec as well, just check obviously. ;-)

Having had two PVCs we found the back doors on the first one a real pain for retaining any warmth, the second one where the doors were replaced by the converter by a fixed one piece panel was as different as chalk and cheese. But if it had to be a PVC for extended winter use I'd be looking for something with as few windows as possible, that rules out most if not all of them, maybe just a base van and have it kitted out per your spec may be worth thinking about, someone like Wildax motorhomes would do that for you (!)

Nearly all German vans are fully winterised. Do make sure any van you look at has internal plumbing, internal water tank, waste tank not quite so important but best if it is winterised. Our Hymer being a low profile has an external waste tank but it is in an insulted enclosure and heated by the gas heating, electric tank heaters are not any good if you are not on a hook-up, also on our van the toilet waste compartment is heated.

There are various materials that might be suitable for insulating a panel-van conversion (PVC). This product is self-adhesive

http://www.airtradecentre.com/UK/UK/documentation/F01.030.2-K-FLEX-ADH-Self-adhesive-insulation-rolls

and may well be the stuff Hobby used on the underside of my motorhome's overcab section (or - to be exact - on PART of the underside of my motorhome's overcab section!!).

A high-tech self-adhesive "Thinsulate" material was developed and marketed in two thicknesses by Webasto a few years ago and (I believe) was employed by Auto-Sleepers.

There's an "Insulating a Motorcaravan" chapter in John Wickersham's book "Build Your Own Motorcaravan", and this 2007 forum thread delves into the subject.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/-fully-winterised-motorhome-my-a-/10077/

A GOOGLE-search on "campervan insulation" will also retrieve plenty of useful information, including this

http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/campervan-insulation.html

The current issue of MMM (January 2014) mentions on Page 28 that "All Auto-Sleepers new van conversions have successfully achieved the Grade III classification for heating and thermal insulation - the highest rating possible".

Even though a PVC design proves capable of achieving Grade III, if the campervan is riddled with large gas drop-vents (as seems to be obligatory for UK-built PVCs), or the fridge isn't properly sealed from the lving-area, when the wind gets up draughts inside the vehicle will be inevitable. As 1foot says, minimising window sizes and (as IH Motorhomes do on some of their vehicles) getting rid of the rear doors should help to retain interior heat, but there will still be the question of how a PVC's water-related services will continue to function indefinitely in very cold weather.

Many PVCs have their fresh- and waste-water tanks beneath the vehicle's floor and, no matter how well these are insulated, they are going to be vulnerable to icing up. Some PVCs (generally built outside the UK) have internal fresh-water tanks and these often have the option to specify heated and insulated external waste-water tanks and pipework. As far as I'm aware only certain La Strada PVC models have both fresh- and waste-water tanks inside the motorhome.

As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest that, if a PVC's specification includes an internal fresh-water tank and a heated/insulated external waste-water tank (or the option to specify the latter), it's likely that the converter will have taken sensible steps to insulate the rest of vehicle.

IH campervans fitted with the rear panel such as the Tio R and RL are OK but as with them all you have to take into consideration the side sliding door which can be a source of a slight draught. Also you have to take into consideration the regulation fitted air vents that you might want to seal off. As van conversions are all steel they will never be the same as a coach built for insulation properties.

Guest JudgeMental

La Strada are the only panel van manufacturers that I know that offer double floor panel vans. beautifully made......You can get additional winter packs for Possl/Globecars vans also. but for me it would have to be a Avanti Exclusive from La Strada :-D

http://www.la-strada.de/?app=configurator&mod=categorie&category=3&itemid=36&menuid=3&languageid=2

here is a winter test on a Possl, but you would need the winter packs and thermal carpets

edit: ignore the idiot below with an opinion on everything and anything, and absolutely no knowledge.....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-12-11 10:08 AM

La Strada are the only panel van manufacturers that I know that offer double floor panel vans. beautifully made......You can get additional winter packs for Possl/Globecars vans also. but for me it would have to be a Avanti Exclusive from La Strada :-D

http://www.la-strada.de/?app=configurator&mod=categorie&category=3&itemid=36&menuid=3&languageid=2

So when are you ordering, and I know what you say, but I still don't get those steel doors with all those less than perfect rubber seals. Perhaps if a German converter did one with a full rear insulated panel with a boot, you'd be raving about them..............and enjoying the very real benefits in comfort levels they bring, mind you what you've never had you'd never miss I guess. ;-)

I must say though that it resembles a mortuary, very clinical,but what ever does it for you.

I hate to mention it amongst the mostly 'Anti' UK built Forum members here, but I believe the new Autotrail PVC has a double floor, for full winterisation Inboard tanks are a must, as is inboard Plumbing(sounds obvious, but you be suprised at how many manufacturers run one or two pipes out under the floor then back in again.) Then a good RELIABLE heating and hot water system, Alde or an Eberspacher (but they can be heavy on battery power). And of course Grade 3 insulation , which rules out a lot of PVC's.

rolandrat - 2013-12-11 9:53 AM

IH campervans fitted with the rear panel such as the Tio R and RL are OK but as with them all you have to take into consideration the side sliding door which can be a source of a slight draught...

Slightly off topic perhaps, but Vantage Motorhomes offers two conversion options that may be of interest.

The first is a "Fixed Rear Pod" (£2950)

http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/fixed-rear-pod.php

and the 2nd is a "Hartal Lux Door" (£4950)

http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/hartal-lux-motorhome-door.php

Rayjsj - 2013-12-11 12:23 PM

I hate to mention it amongst the mostly 'Anti' UK built Forum members here, but I believe the new Autotrail PVC has a double floor, for full winterisation Inboard tanks are a must, as is inboard Plumbing(sounds obvious, but you be suprised at how many manufacturers run one or two pipes out under the floor then back in again.)...

Although Auto-Trail's recently-introduced V-Line range of PVCs has a raised internal floor (allowing the cab and living-area floors to be on the same level and providing some storage space beneath the living-area section) the V-Line brochure indicates that the 70litre insulated fresh- and waste-water tanks are both external.

Those Vantage campervans look the part with the fixed side door and solid back. It looks like IH could have a little competition which will help to peg the prices. I wonder if they'll be offering to modify existing vans if owners are interested. Could be a good little earner.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rolandrat - 2013-12-11 2:49 PM

Those Vantage campervans look the part with the fixed side door and solid back. It looks like IH could have a little competition which will help to peg the prices. I wonder if they'll be offering to modify existing vans if owners are interested. Could be a good little earner.

Blimey, even Eddie ( judgemental ) might be in the market for one..............oh no I forgot he likes draughty rear doors. :D

On a serious note, if they could get their production costs down I've always thought they could wipe the floor with most of the EU vans, our IH was as good as the day it was made 10 years ago, when we sold it, and we always had many a European coming over to take a look whilst on our French wanderings, and liking what they saw, a much nicer van that any Adria PVC,and yes we did look at those, . ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

As someone who had fully winterised campers for years, obviously a panel van will never get near the insulation properties of a double floored winterised CB. A door is a door and whether sliding or opening it will loose heat...in deep winter I would just use a cab door if you really think this an issue, personally don't see it to be honest....certainly would not be spending a fortune to turn it into a mini CB that is for sure! *-)

We have slept in our Adria in a Spanish winter up in Navara in the snow, on way to Alicante and were more then comfortable......it's a small space with large heater. Just make sure van has proper draught excluders on rear doors, ours does and has never been an issue, but for deep winter use you can always buy an insulating mat to hang internally over rear doors. Germans have an answers for most of these issues and prices unsurprisingly far more reasonable ......

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-11 3:28 PM

They didn't have any answers for Spitfires though. :D

They did actually, it was called Fuel Injection, and then the Jet Engine with the ME262. But couldn't match the Handling ( or the Beauty ?) of a Spitfire. ;-) Ray

Derek Uzzell - 2013-12-11 2:19 PM

Rayjsj - 2013-12-11 12:23 PM

I hate to mention it amongst the mostly 'Anti' UK built Forum members here, but I believe the new Autotrail PVC has a double floor, for full winterisation Inboard tanks are a must, as is inboard Plumbing(sounds obvious, but you be suprised at how many manufacturers run one or two pipes out under the floor then back in again.)...

Although Auto-Trail's recently-introduced V-Line range of PVCs has a raised internal floor (allowing the cab and living-area floors to be on the same level and providing some storage space beneath the living-area section) the V-Line brochure indicates that the 70litre insulated fresh- and waste-water tanks are both external.

Far from perfect then ? and there is no way we could live with the 'Slide Out Fridge'. Good, but, no banana.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Rayjsj - 2013-12-11 4:14 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-11 3:28 PM

They didn't have any answers for Spitfires though. :D

They did actually, it was called Fuel Injection, and then the Jet Engine with the ME262. But couldn't match the Handling ( or the Beauty ?) of a Spitfire. ;-) Ray

Perhaps if Churchill had thrown his hat in with Hitler, Eddie would by now be raving about UK vans. >:-)

Guest JudgeMental
Listen to yourself......you wretched poisonous old bigot, can you stop baiting me and others with your constant personal remarks. Just say your piece, let others say there's in peace, and learn when to shut up...

Guest 1footinthegrave
You should try listening to yourself, Bigoted views indeed, with your never ending anti all things UK manufactured, I'm genuinely surprised you don't up sticks and move permanently to the country of sauerkraut, ................still one can live in hope..............and P.S you never explained your bigoted views on all things French either. ;-) you know what they say Eddie...........stones and windows, happy Christmas. ;-)

Archived