Advice on buying campervan for winter use

david1949

korky24 - 2013-12-12 5:44 PM

No, it's not the passive ventilation built into the roof vent frame I'm talking about.

Don't have a problem with that. Apart from this mini-heki in windy conditions, van is very warm and draught free.

The plastic roof window moves up and down a few mm in the wind making it too draughty to sleep, too noisy to sleep and destroying roof blind in the process. That is not normal ventilation.

John.

Looking at an on-line 2011 Possl Instruction Manual, I'm assuming that the small roof-vent you've got problems with is one of these

http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Rooflights/products/?productdataid=69744

As the advert says (and I'm sure you are aware), this product comes "with or without fixed ventilation", but I think both types should have a rubber sealing gasket that fits into a groove on the inner surface of the clear plastic 'dome'. Does your roof-light have this?

The reason I ask is that my Hobby has a small Remis-made roof-light over the bed and, in very strong wind conditions, the concertina blind needs to be left open to prevent it rattling (at best) or being damaged (at worst).

The Remis roof-light is a completely different design to a Mini-Heki (sliding rather than hinged), but it has the potential to have a rubber seal fitted all round the opening. In my Hobby's case, a seal is only fitted to the front edge of the opening and, when the roof-light is closed, a narrow gap remains on the other three sides. This gap allows plenty of ventilation normally (and doesn't seem to result in draughts), but it inevitably causes trouble in high winds and my blind buckled - fortunately without harming it - the first time it was sucked upwards.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-12-13 8:26 AM

I am presuming they drilled floor injected glue and clamped..if this has not worked twice, a replacement floor is a big job! Just look at earlier video in this thread for details of what is involved..a week at least I would think, depending on how much labour they throw at it.......

Look on the bright side Eddie, at least he didn't buy German on your recommendation, now that would have been a bit awkward. :D

Guest JudgeMental

German this, German that, spitfires, Churchill, the war ......On and on with your drivel.....what's the hells the matter with you, your an absolute imbecile.....Leave me alone and keep your distance......

That one person can single handily make visiting this forum an unpleasant experience a real shame, amazed that your allowed to get away with it....

JudgeMental - 2013-12-13 9:38 AM

German this, German that, spitfires, Churchill, the war ......On and on with your drivel.....what's the hells the matter with you, your an absolute imbecile.....Leave me alone and keep your distance......

That one person can single handily make visiting this forum an unpleasant experience a real shame, amazed that your allowed to get away with it....

Hate to say this Eddie, I rarely agree with him, but Mike does have a point here. If you constantly go on about everything German being perfect then you can hardly be surprised when some have a go back. I am not sure where this German fetish comes from but you really need to get a sense of balance. The fact remains that if the Germans want some really high end engineering they come to the UK for it. A good example, as I have pointed out before, is the Mercedes grand prix car, they had to come to the UK to get it built. Some of Europe's greatest engineering companies are right here in the UK, Rolls Royce is a good example. So why not get off your German kick and simply admit that all countries supply both good and bad products.

david1949 - 2013-12-12 9:29 AM

Very very interesting thank,s just what I'm looking thanks for thanks

For something a little different, have you looked at Burstner Brevio or Hymer Compact? Basically PVC sized coachbuilts with a large rear tailgate. They are clones, (Burstner is owned by Hymer Group), and I'm inclined to think them solutions to a non-existant problem, but if they suit your needs, they will obviously be a solution for you. May be worth investigating.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-12-13 10:11 AM

david1949 - 2013-12-12 9:29 AM

Very very interesting thank,s just what I'm looking thanks for thanks

For something a little different, have you looked at Burstner Brevio or Hymer Compact? Basically PVC sized coachbuilts with a large rear tailgate. They are clones, (Burstner is owned by Hymer Group), and I'm inclined to think them solutions to a non-existant problem, but if they suit your needs, they will obviously be a solution for you. May be worth investigating.

But hardly winterised campers.....many including me want to get away for campers built of marshmallow and cardboard..

Very nice I looked at the Hymer compact on the web on your advice Stalwart

and Brain and it looks as if it would do me nicely and fulfil all I am looking for. I flying over to my draughters for Christmas soon in the UK and if I can find a dealer that has one I’ll go and look at it thanks I think you saved the day

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-12-13 9:38 AM

And that from the bloke with all his snide digs followed by a (lol) and delight at telling everyone what idiots they are for not trudging over to Germany to buy a van (lol) lighten up Eddie it was just a bit of banter, I had a good teacher.....................you. :D

By the way I had a VW beetle once, that was a load of Germanic crap, the Allegro was a far nicer car. :D :D

I bought a Hymer B584 many years ago and i keeped it longest than any motorhome i had before it was out of this world. After 4.5 years with it i went to trade it in against another Hymer Starline motorhome but i was costing me at that time £25,000 to change i thought it was a bit much to change so went for a Rapido change over cost was £10,000 the worst thing i ever done. From i traded in my Hymer for a Rapido in 5 years i went through 4 motorhome to try and get the quality and comfort of my Hymer the money i wasted was more than the the £25,000 it would have taken to change to a new Hymer in the first place. I now have a Hymer on a Ford for 4 years and of a age where i am going to downsize to a small van i am really glad Brian for telling me about the Hymer Compact i looked at Hymer brochures and must have overlooker it can,t wait to have a look at one and hopefully trade in at one of the shows in 2014 again thank,s

The Hymer is fully winterised it,s on the brochure and the water & waste tanks is heated and it takes the 11Kg gas i have just printed of the brochure . As for the Burstner i dislike the furniture in it and i feel the Hymer would be the better of the 2 they may be in the Hymer group but there build concept would be different. all i have to do now is find a dealer that has them in stock.

Guest JudgeMental
"fully" winterised vans have double floors. wrapping tanks in insulation and adding heaters and calling it a winter van a bit of a joke to be honest.

Not necessarily, providing tanks are in insulated & heated areas and the general insulation and heating are able to keep the van cosy when it's below minus 20, its not essential to have a double floor.

Edit:

They don't have tank heaters the area around the tanks is heated by the blow air heating.

Yes I would agree tank heaters are a waste of space especially as you need to be on a EHU if you don't want a flat battery.

My Hymer motorhome i have at the moment is on a Ford with on double floor and it would run rings around the British motorhome in the winter . I think it was 2 years ago that we had the bad winter in N Ireland we live in a very open position and it at the top of a hill. That winter it was -7c and snowed in when are electric went down we had to live in our motorhome for a week and a half + we only used our summer duvet.

david1949 - 2013-12-13 1:04 PM

I bought a Hymer B584 many years ago and i keeped it longest than any motorhome i had before it was out of this world. After 4.5 years with it i went to trade it in against another Hymer Starline motorhome but i was costing me at that time £25,000 to change i thought it was a bit much to change so went for a Rapido change over cost was £10,000 the worst thing i ever done. From i traded in my Hymer for a Rapido in 5 years i went through 4 motorhome to try and get the quality and comfort of my Hymer the money i wasted was more than the the £25,000 it would have taken to change to a new Hymer in the first place. I now have a Hymer on a Ford for 4 years and of a age where i am going to downsize to a small van i am really glad Brian for telling me about the Hymer Compact i looked at Hymer brochures and must have overlooker it can,t wait to have a look at one and hopefully trade in at one of the shows in 2014 again thank,s

David, not sure where you are based but heres one at Highbridge http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/newmotorhomedetails.php?ID=767

I am a retired plumbing and heating engineer and had my own business been motorhoming for 29 years now and changed my motorhomes every 1.5 years this only changed when i bought my Hymer B584 as stated in a few posts before. As for downsizing i would have give it all up if i had not found the right conversion because of the experiences over the years with mainly with British motorhomes and can i say i have a Ford motorhome and it has been the best chassis cab out of them all i don't want to go back to Fiat chassis cab motorhomes again but that is another story .

bolero boy - 2013-12-13 3:58 PM Thank,s for the tip bolero boy i will look into that when i'm over

david1949 - 2013-12-13 1:04 PM

David, not sure where you are based but heres one at Highbridge http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/newmotorhomedetails.php?ID=767

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2013-12-13 4:19 PM

It'd be interesting to see how much additional strengthening and bracing has go into that rear frame...because with such a large aperture, those corners are going be having a lot a flexing and stress directed at them... :-S

Agree!....one of the daftest ideas available for a winter use van!:D

JudgeMental - 2013-12-13 3:13 PM

"fully" winterised vans have double floors. wrapping tanks in insulation and adding heaters and calling it a winter van a bit of a joke to be honest.

It seems the fresh water tank is housed within a heated "technical" double floor, and the waste water tank is below the floor, but is heated. The rear hatch is insulated GRP construction, and the roof is stated to be GRP. The van underfloor is also GRP, and not ply as are so many others. All the above from Hymer's brochure, so needs verifying, but for a small van with good storage space it seems pretty well winterised to me. There is, of course, no universally accepted definition of "winterised", but if one is prepared to accept these vans for what they are, which is a hybrid between a full coachbuilt and a PVC, then so far as winter use is concerned, they seem quite well equipped. Not for use in the Alps for skiing, perhaps, but easily suitable for use in most UK winters, I would have thought.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Except for last year perhaps, it was bloody cold for months on end.

The number of excess winter deaths soared by almost a third last year, official figures revealed

They should stick us all old uns in German winterized vans. ;-) :D

Archived