Before 'n' After Waxoyl Treatment

Guest machra

Has anyone had their van waxoyled at Before 'n' After in Newbury?

If so what did you think of the treatment? Was it worth the money etc?

No experience of that particular Company, but our MH was waxoyled from new, and is now 15 year old with 100,00 miles on the clock - and there is not a speck of rust anywhere on the bodywork, in the engine compartment, or underneath.

I don't mean there are no rust holes. I mean there is no rust at all.

Fantastic condition - I am tremendously impressed with the product.

This guy has been advertising in the Land Rover press for some time and there have been a number of reports from staff and readers. I have not read any bad or even slightly negative reports apart from the fact that it is expensive. Even then, the reports didn't say it wasn't good value for money, just expensive.

The have also been reports that undersides stay 'cleaner' after immersing in mud.

I haven't had my Land Rover done because there are all sorts of other things I could spend that sort of money on and mine was plain old fashioned waxoyled ages ago and seems to be fine. Being a Land Rover owner I do spend a bit more time than most examining my vehicles undersides, so it really is OK.

I've treated most of my cars myself over the last 35 years and recommend the product. In my experience it effectively prevents rust and stops existing surface rust getting worse. I find it very easy (but messy and grubby) to apply myself so would never pay anyone else to do it. Key tips are buy a pump sprayer and crevice nozzle, apply on a warm day or at least soak the can in a bucket of warm water before spaying, read the instructions carefully and especially avoid getting solution where it should not go e.g brakes and on tarmac, wear suitable protective equipment and clothing.

In my experience, vehicles have needed plenty of ventilation for several days after treatment and on hot days during the first six months.

Left over solution can be kept for years and used for touch up treatment as necessary. I've also used it to proof fence posts before putting them in the ground with excellent results.

Bob

My first van some years ago was a well used Holdsworth Fanfare, it had had five owners and a lot of miles. I had a lot of tidying up to do which set me on the road to enjoying the motor home life. It had been Waxoyled from new and the chassis was absolutely rust free I'm convinced of the benefits so I had my second van treated by a firm at Bournemouth who have now moved to Poole. I would say however, as it is now quite expensive to have done that unless you plan to keep the vehicle is it worthwhile? I seem to spend a lot of cash on vans and then give them to someone else to benefit from when I partex. Most newish vans dont rust underneath do they? I use my van all year round but avoid the times when salt is dumped everwhere. I think that is the main corrosion source. So spend your money on fuel and carry on camping. Auntygranty

I bought a new van this year and had it 'waxoyled' by Rustbusters in Poole. (Tel 01202 524545) Phillip Lewis does a very thorough job and takes all day. He uses clear waxoyl in all the cavities and underbonnet areas and the black waxoyl on the underside and wheelarches. The price depends on length of MH. It's not cheap but having found what we believe is the ideal van for us we intend to keep it for at least 10 years. I'll report back in 2017 and let you know how it's performing. I expect the van to be in better condition than me!

Why is it that when someone asks a very specific question we get six replies on a related but irrelevant point? Machra was specifically asking about the company called "Befroe 'n' After" in Newbury. Am I the only one who thinks a discussion of the merits, or otherwise, of Waxoyl treatments and other companies that do this are of little or no use to the original poster?

D.

Dave - fair point, but the way I read the OP, he actually asked 3 questions:

1. Has anyone had their van waxoyled at that particular place?

2. What do people think of Waxoyl treatment?

3. Is it worth the money?

If any of the respondents who have posted since had only answered the first question, he would simply have got a whole load of people saying "No".

Probably not hugely helpful.

So rather than answer only question 1, in my reply I endeavoured also to address questions 2 and 3 as well, in order to at least provide the OP with some information on both of those supplementary questions.

I guess at the end of the day it's really up to the OP as to whether he feels the responses he has thus far got have helped him to the extent that the respondents were able to attempt........

Fair comment Bruce, it just goes to show how two people read things so differently. I read it as one question, "Has anybody used this company and what are they like?" Okay that's two questions but I read it as being specifically about the company not the waxoyl.

Maybe the OP will come back and let us know.

D.

Guest Tracker

As one can never be quite sure that the originator's question took into account all the various angles, some of which he might not even have been aware of, surely it is better to post a surfeit of related information than no specific replies at all?

You never know when someone might say 'I never knew that - I'm glad I asked' just because a posting was seemingly slightly off question, but related?

I have little experience of Waxoyl save that it does appear to do exactly what it says on the tin!

Sorry Dave, I agree with BGD over the interpretation of what was asked, hence my first response.

Also, I think one of the strengths of this forum, and a key benefit I have derived from it during more than a year of membership, is the willingness of contributors to post experience and/or knowledge which reasonably relates to the subject matter. I find I learn a great deal that way and it makes for a livelier forum.

Bob

Dave, a dilemma. If somebody posts a question such as "I am going to have 3 solar panels, 2 mth gas cylinders, 2 leisure batteries, a mains polarity switch, sat-nav, colour reversing camera system, DVD cinema surround sound sytem, BBQ point and top of the range cruise control fitted to my Bessacar by Fred Walker Ltd of Oswestry, can anyone recommend this firm? Do we have to answer "No" rather than "No, but I know this clever bloke in Telford........."

Bob ;-)

Sorry if I have caused a bit of a storm with this thread. I think the most important issue is that any replies are factual and valid and are given from personal experience. My original question was about a specific company, however I certainly value comments regarding other companies in the Waxoyl treatment field, and experiences in general about the longevity of the product and its benefits.

• 10 years later...
rwhites1 - 2007-12-11 7:16 PM

Back to the topic what is the cost of Waxoyling a motorhome, mine is 6m long on a ford thank god

I've been seeing this thread posted on the Search Engine Results Page for "before n after" for several years now. So 10 years later (!) here is an answer to the OP:

http://www.before-n-after.co.uk/motor-caravan-motor-home-prices-and-booking-page.html

Billggski - 2018-06-05 8:55 AM

The body on an x250/290 Fiat is galvanised, so I wouldn't expect any rust anyway.

Also Al-Ko do not recommend treating their galvanised caravan chassis with ANY kind of treatment. I cannot find specific reference to Al-Ko MH chassis' but cannot see why this recommendation should be any different to Al-Ko chassis or factory galvanised Fiat bodies.

Quote from http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/handbooks/caravan-chassis-handbook-2011.pdf

"HOT DIP GALVANISATION

The galvanised chassis should not be painted or subjected to any other protective treatment."

I personally would not Waxoyl a galvanised body/chassis as surface oxidation is the key to its protection.

Keith.

I would also be interested in how much this costs, say for a 6.36m PVC. Our van is 4 years old and I can't find any rust on the van other than a bit of surface rust on some of the suspension parts which I have treated and painted with Hammerite, more for cosmetic purposes than anything else. I do jet wash under the van regularly and check it out at the start of each year and touch up the minor surface rust as mentioned above. I was wondering if these vans have a reputation for serious rust and if it was worth spending on Waxoyl if you look after it regularly the way I do.

Land Rovers often have the very rust prone chassis changed for a galvanised one and there are endless debates on the forum about whether to paint or seal them afterwards. The only reason is to hide the fact that it is a very shiny and obvious upgrade which makes it very nickable.

My 2009 Dethleffs has little bits of surface rust on springs, bolts and such like, but the underside is in excellent condition without any treatment.

(Just a comment that apparently you are not supposed to sleep in a waxoyled vehicle until the fumes have dispersed, which can be weeks)

Archived