Brake dilema....

The Doc 57

Hello again the Motorhome I have just purchased has just failed its brake test...I have been informed that the discs/pads and fluid need replacing (just to be on the safe side), does anyone have experience of what parts to use? should I only be considering Genuine Mercedes parts or are aftermarket products perfectly servicable these days? not too keen to throw good money after other good money but a little miffed to be facing a big bill just after I have purchased the vehicle, oh yes, its a Mercedes Sprinter 316CDI with a Autotrail Mohican on its back circa 2004, and it would appear to be three or four different types of disc pad combination.

Many Thanks

You may wish to consider buying from a local car parts shop, easier to return if not correct part. For cars at least they can usually find the correct part from the registration number.

Also to check the brake fluid test pens with three or more LEDs are available from UK based sellers on Ebay for about £6. Has your garage quoted an actual moisture content for the brake fluid. Idealy it should be less than 1%.

Alan

The Doc 57 - 2017-06-19 5:40 PM

Hello again the Motorhome I have just purchased has just failed its brake test...I have been informed that the discs/pads and fluid need replacing...

Hi Michael,

Please can you be a little more explicit as to exactly what brake test? ie Inspection as part of a service or possibly MOT?

And then how have they determined you need discs and pads replacing and do they mean on all 4 wheels or just front or just rears?

And I agree with buying a pen style brake fluid tester, I purchased one a couple of years ago, It was something like this and works very well for determining moisture content...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/jp3/Hakkin-Brake-Fluid-Tester-Vehicle-Testing-Indicator/B01GHPQ69A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1497939569&sr=8-8&keywords=brake+fluid+tester

Finally I only ever use Genuine MB parts for my Sprinter, the dealer should be able to look up exact part numbers from your VIN. And the prices are generally very competitive. Don't rule out Genuine without at least asking for prices!

Keith.

The Doc 57 - 2017-06-19 7:36 PM

Thanks John52 certainly gives me a hint as to where to get parts......now to just narrow down the choice!!!!!

If you go to ECP order it online for collection to get it at the online price - usually about 25% off. If you just turn up at the counter they will charge you full price.

I use their own brand (Eicher) discs and pads and (Lion) batteries and am happy with them I've read bad reports but perhaps thats only to be expected when they have put so many less efficient retailers out of business.

Morning Michael,

Did you buy it from a dealer or was it a private purchase. Either way, I assume that it only came with a few days of valid MOT if it did.

You may also want to check the rest of the MOT history to see if the brakes were identified on the last MOT check:

If you access www.check-mot.service.gov.uk and then enter the VRN & make and hey presto.

All the best,

Andrew

Interestingly (though it may not be relevant in this instance) Jersey apparently may still not have an equivalent to the UK MOT test.

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/mot-come-jersey/#.WUjM4zPMxLA

I tend to agree with Alanb about buying from a local auto-parts outlet and (personally) I’d opt for Ferodo brake pads/shoes as I’ve never had any problems with Ferodo brake parts. But it would certainly be sensible to use a well-recognised brand (or, as Keithl says, the ‘genuine article’) than an unknown quantity. Unless it is known that the hydraulic fluid was replaced reasonably recently (and is still in good condition of course) replacing the fluid as a precautionary measure would be no bad thing.

I’m not sure if “The Doc” is planning to DIY the required work himself or have it done professionally. This is not a task that a novice mechanic should treat lightly, but the following link may give some idea of what’s involved

http://www.mercedes.gen.in/replacing-brake-pads-mercedes-sprinter/

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-20 8:47 AM

Unless it is known that the hydraulic fluid was replaced reasonably recently (and is still in good condition of course) replacing the fluid as a precautionary measure would be no bad thing.

And I'll add to Derek's comment on Brake fluid, if your Sprinter has ABS then you need a computer or diagnostics machine capable of 'exercising' the ABS modulator valves to effectively flush and change the brake fluid. If you do not then you leave stale brake fluid in the ABS modulator. Best to check with any garage performing the flush that they have the necessary kit to do the job properly!

Keith.

John52 - 2017-06-20 6:11 PM

Has anyone tested one of these brake fluid testers?

Maybe try it with new fluid in a cup then put a known quantity of water in?

Hi John,

Yes I have, I nearly added that fact to my earlier post but decided to keep it simple (KISS).

I poured a capful of fresh brake fluid and immediately tested it as 0 % moisture. I then left it overnight and the following morning it tested as >4 % moisture, so a clear fail. I did not even need to add water to test it!

The brake fluid was the remnants of the bottle I used to change the fluid in our MH 2 years previous and that in the MH still tested at 0 % so I am fairly confident in its results.

This was the exact one I purchased based on reviews (one at 3 stars and none below)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HVG4GQ

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-06-20 7:06 PM

Hi John,

Yes I have, I nearly added that fact to my earlier post but decided to keep it simple (KISS).

I poured a capful of fresh brake fluid and immediately tested it as 0 % moisture. I then left it overnight and the following morning it tested as >4 % moisture, so a clear fail. I did not even need to add water to test it!

The brake fluid was the remnants of the bottle I used to change the fluid in our MH 2 years previous and that in the MH still tested at 0 % so I am fairly confident in its results.

This was the exact one I purchased based on reviews (one at 3 stars and none below)...

Keith.

Thanks - Just ordered one (from China) :-D

• 3 weeks later...
John52 - 2017-06-21 8:46 AM

Keithl - 2017-06-20 7:06 PM

Hi John,

Keith.

Thanks - Just ordered one (from China) :-D

Well its arrived - just as the one in the picture. Says battery included, but it wasn't so I tried several after they all tested ok in my battery tester. The instructions basically say switch it on. stick the probe in the fluid, and the more lights that illuminate, the more water there is in the fluid. When you switch it on the green light illuminates, 10 seconds later all the lights flash, then it switches itself off. It does this every time whatever you insert the probes in. Or whether you switch it on before, orr after inserting it in the test fluid/fresh air. I have tried it in new brake fluid, watered down brake fluid, plain water, and fresh air.

Have I got a faulty tester :-S

Archived