Clutch

Hans

Two friends faced the following on the road in the UK. RAC pulled them up on their trailer to the garage best Suited. Reason Clutch failure. Both Women drivers. Wasn't able to get it to any gear whilst engine running. Any idea of the diagnosis?

The logic behind suggesting that female drivers generally are ‘harder' on the clutch of a manual transmission vehicle than male drivers is likely to be based around the premise that women will tend to have less vehicle-related mechanical background (so won’t ‘understand’ a clutch) and have much more potential for driving in unsuitable footwear (undoubtedly true).

I’m old enough to remember when most men had a driving licence but few women did. It also used to be the case that basic vehicle maintenance was often carried out by the vehicle’s owner (the man) and this tended to result in some degree of mechanical education.

This link discusses driving footwear

https://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index.php/articles/driving-tips/177-footwear-for-driving

and there is plenty of on-line stuff comparing female drivers with male drivers regarding ‘bad habits’ - but I can’t find any authorative data that prove women drivers damage clutches more than men.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-18 9:01 AM

The logic behind suggesting that female drivers generally are ‘harder' on the clutch of a manual transmission vehicle than male drivers is likely to be based around the premise that women will tend to have less vehicle-related mechanical background (so won’t ‘understand’ a clutch) and have much more potential for driving in unsuitable footwear (undoubtedly true).

I’m old enough to remember when most men had a driving licence but few women did. It also used to be the case that basic vehicle maintenance was often carried out by the vehicle’s owner (the man) and this tended to result in some degree of mechanical education.

This link discusses driving footwear

https://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index.php/articles/driving-tips/177-footwear-for-driving

and there is plenty of on-line stuff comparing female drivers with male drivers regarding ‘bad habits’ - but I can’t find any authorative data that prove women drivers damage clutches more than men.

Hanz reminds me a bit of this Harry Enfield Mr Cholmondly Warner sketch

https://youtu.be/BDtVJiK8Lws

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-18 9:01 AM

Years ago my mother phoned to ask if i'd help one of her friends who was having 'a problem' with 'a burning smell' coming from her car, convinced her local dealership had 'not repaired an electrical fault'. Doris was an elderly lady, retired school headmistress, so didn't take advice from anyone except herself....you get the picture!

I agreed to go to her house and accompany her to the garage in her car which was only a couple of miles away. Reversing the car out of her driveway she was revving the engine like crazy and her car, barely moving. Once on the road she drove the two miles to the garage in 2nd gear engine revving and car crawling along.

Miraculously we arrived at the garage to the strong odour of a smoking clutch where she declared, "now you see....that smell is the electrical fault they haven't repaired". I told her it was her clutch burning. Her response to that was "nonsense...there's nothing wrong with the clutch".

Talking alone with one of the garage staff he told me they'd fitted three new clutches to her car in the short time she'd owned it and despite trying to persuade her to exchange it for an auto, she refused. :-|

Archived