Code PO638 Trottlebody

oshmb

Hello .

I have a 2007 Auto trail Fiat 3.0 Ducato chyeene 160 m-jet.

in 2014 i had the throttle body problem in Ireland intermittent tick over managed to get home

went to local garage who give me a code P0638 and said throttle body or GR Valve so i had new GR valve fitted ...But this did not stop the management light coming on and giving code p0638.

On the advice from my garage i was able to use my van for 4 years with the light on and code p0638 with no problems in that time i would now and then reset with code reader and eventually it would through up another code but drive as normal. Now the MOT has changed and they check management light working.

i have found i could not reset code and delete light . So having read all the posts on hear over the past years decided to get a new throttle body fitted my local garage checked code said it was needed.

They did not fit the new type body but fitted one as original Fiat part made in Italy 12/12/16 they seem to think the new type would not fit.

When they road tested after fitting they found after 4 miles seems when engine gets to normal temperature engine throws a code p0638 up and i get juddering load sucking noise intermittent the garage cannot seem to sort it they did not charge me for fitting only for the part itself.

So i thought i would fit new solenoid vale but this had no effect . Then i saw a video on utube which said

the wire in body plug can fail with heat managed to get replacement plug from Germany but no joy still have problem. Now at wits end should i try another throttle body have looked for broken wires no joy

The van is worse now than before the new throttle body was fitted.

Thanks any help would be appreciated Sid

oshmb - 2020-01-13 5:03 PM..................When they road tested after fitting they found after 4 miles seems when engine gets to normal temperature engine throws a code p0638 up and i get juddering load sucking noise intermittent the garage cannot seem to sort it they did not charge me for fitting only for the part itself. ...............Sid

Sid, can you enlarge/unpack the part above in bold? I can't answer your question, but the sequence of events isn't clear, and it may help others to clarify what actually happens and when.

For instance, are you driving with a code reader attached to the vehicle? If not, how do you know that the P0638 code coincides with the engine getting to its normal temperature?

What do you actually mean by "juddering". Judder, to me, means the vibration that is caused when a contaminated clutch is engaged. I assume what you are describing is similar severe vibration, but not associated with clutch use? But then, when does this judder arise? Is it continuous or, for instance, only when you accelerate? At what revs does the judder arise? In all gears, or only in certain gears? In short, what provokes the judder?

Can you clarify a bit more "load sucking intermittent"? Is it that the judder starts when the engine is under load? Sucking I assume is a noise? Could it also be blowing? Might there be a leak on the turbo hose, for example? That can cause some very odd driving characteristics.

Finally, what is it that is intermittent? Sorry to be a pain, but if you can eliminate some of the guesswork others may be able to begin to piece together a picture of what is going on.

Check all earths and connections for water damage with special note under the air filter and throttle body and injector connections Braking and making the connections and cleaning with a good electrical cleaner may help . As Brian has advised you need to expand a little

Hi everybody,

This one is confusing and i only have a few minutes...

The 3.0 engine never has problems with the EGR valve. P0638 will refer to a fault with either the EGR solenoid valve or the throttle body. In about 8 cases out of 10 the throttle body will be the problem but the fault, if left unrepaired for a while will usually stress the solenoid valve and mess that up too.

So; if the 'GR' valve refers to the EGR valve; the problem has probably not been solved.

Replacing the throttle body will not extinguish the EML, it must be plugged in for that although the vehicle will run perfectly well with the light on once the part is replaced.

Hope that helps and un-muddies the water a bit.

N

Archived