Shipping motorhome to New Zealand

P  E Jennings

Hello Peter

There is a forum member with a username of alistair who lives in NZ. He has given advice on the procedures required by the authorities when the vehicle arrives in NZ. His post is 3 years old but should still be relevant.

Just search "Filter by Author" and insert alistair then select "date limit" and use all posts.

You will find a thread titled "New camper to New Zealand". His post was on 4 April 2013 @ 1.47 am.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Well it looks like Alistair has been quite busy posting about New Zealand, but then again he does live there.

Here is a search for anything NZ he has posted to...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=new+zealand&author=alistair+&days=&Submit=Search

And the thread that Robbo mentioned, half way down the page...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/New-camper-to-New-Zealand/30720/

HTH,

Keith.

Hi The wife and I moved to NZ in 2014 and used Castle European to arrange all the paperwork. We lived in Manchester so had to take the van down to Southampton. We tracked it on the internet and even saw the ship passing through the Panama canal via webcams. Took about six weeks to reach Auckland and then Castle European collected it and converted it to NZ regs. I suppose we could have done it ourselves but with the house sale and all the other crap involved it seemed simpler. When we arrived in NZ we too busy looking

for a house to buy and sorting out storage for our belongings so Castle European came in handy. So I can reccomend Paul Gravling at CE. Anyway since then we sold our Delaware in April of this year and have bought a new PVC locally converted by TranztecRV and were very pleased with it. Anyway changing a four year old motorhome for a new PVC has cost us about £1300.00 so not too bad. If you bring in a van over 3500kg it will need a certificate of fitness every six months which is a pain but not as strict as an mot. Our new van being under 3500kg requires a warrant of fitness every year after it's third birthday. Judging by the amount of old bangers on the roads out here that test is a cakewalk. The roads out here are something else and you can time travel between 21st century surfaces back to the 19th century in a flash. You might find one lane bridges quaint but not at busy times. For all that we think it's great and in no hurry to returrn to the UK.

Guest pelmetman

There was an article in MMM a few years back about someone who bought a new AT shipped to NZ/Oz ?

Spent several months touring and then sold it for a profit which covered the cost of his holiday, must admit I'm tempted as with the pounds current exchange rate could be a nice earner :D .....

Hi all & thank you all for taking the time to respond to our query. I have made initial contact with Paul at Castle European & am awaiting a further reply. If we were to ship our own van, a Hymer B544 on a 60 plate & 3850kg, it would be a return trip for both us & the van & possibly the only option for us as we love our van. It's layout is spot on for us. We don't really want to part with it. We'll be able to make a more informed decision as we garner information so,please keep it coming.

You may love your van immensely but feel you need to be realistic.

If I were to take my van all the way to NZ and return, I would be looking at a 2 or 3 year tour taking in other countries such as Australia and America, possibly stopping off in Southern Africa. This would make the trip worthwhile, although triple or quadruple the problems of importation to the various countries.

If only intending to visit NZ for a shortish time, say less than 6 months, your best option would probably be to hire. Just my opinion. If you wish to spend an estimated £6k to £10k on shipping costs, then so be it. That sum would buy a lot of rental, and probably the most luxurious vans that NZ have to offer.

Just found more replies so thank you. Will search for NZ Autotrail club. In 2009 we shipped our previous Hymer B544 to Baltimore & spent 9 months doing a rapid tour of USA & Canada (26000 miles). Would love to do it again but the years are advancing & NZ has to be next & have had to put Ireland on the back burner (again). We don't want to give up our 544. Don't yet know how long we would stay in NZ but not less than 4 months & possibly longer

Robbo - 2016-10-26 8:44 PM

You may love your van immensely but feel you need to be realistic.

If I were to take my van all the way to NZ and return, I would be looking at a 2 or 3 year tour taking in other countries such as Australia and America, possibly stopping off in Southern Africa. This would make the trip worthwhile, although triple or quadruple the problems of importation to the various countries.

If only intending to visit NZ for a shortish time, say less than 6 months, your best option would probably be to hire. Just my opinion. If you wish to spend an estimated £6k to £10k on shipping costs, then so be it. That sum would buy a lot of rental, and probably the most luxurious vans that NZ have to offer.

I suppose it's a case of 'each to their own' but i do entirely agree with your post! It seems very odd to pay hefty shipping fees for the sake of sitting in your own van! When i was in Poland i was on site with a German couple and he'd done the same with their van when they toured US. They enjoyed the holiday but had major regrets in spending so much money to take their own van when, as he quickly found out once there, used C class or RV's are so cheap and plentiful they could have bought one, then sold it after the trip.

A chap i used to work with hired a motorhome to tour South Africa. He'd never owned or driven a motorhome in the UK at all but they enjoyed it so much they returned there a few times for holidays.

Archived