You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  General Chat -> Chatterbox
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 4 NextLast
Format:  Go
RATS ... what's their favourite food?
AuthorMessage
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 11 May 2007 9:25 PM
Subject: RE: RATS ... what's their favourite food?

Liking what I've found

Hi Howie

Thank you for the welcome to the forum. Bless you. I am not an expert on the Roland rat thing but I do work for the Council and can give directions to what departments to go to if anyone has problems that involve a Council. Certainly the Council I work for are very good and take every complaint, complliment and comment very seriously.

Our Roland and his mates in our back garden have not made an appearance for a couple of days now but we are still very wary. I have not been to the compost bin since Sunday!! Pest control are coming out next Wednesday.

Can you tell me how I post a picture of Norbert? Our Norbert the python is lovely, best pet we ever had after going thorugh all the pets that you go thorugh when your kids are young. They are very low maintenance, and you get lots of cuddles. Only down side is that I have to keep frozen rats in my freezer. Not the garden variety I may add!!!

Mels Itchy and Scratchy are lovely, tame rats make fantastic pets as they are so clean and friendly, but unfortunately their friends that visit in the garden are not good news.

There is only one way to get rid in the garden and no matter what your feelings are on the matter unfortunatley it has to be done, otherwise they can spead all sorts of nasy stuff to us and our family pets. We all want to be kind and let live, but when it comes down to rats in the garden we have to be sensible and just deal with it.

Sad I know but we do not want to contract Weils desease.

Many thanks for your posting.
Janet

userJanet East Riding
Posted: 11 May 2007 9:33 PM

Liking what I've found

Starspirit - Behave!!!

Cheers
Janet
userLizzy
Posted: 13 May 2007 1:17 PM

A posting machine

A rat is a rat - whether it's tame or living in the compost. Intelligent, humerous ........ why people who keep them as pets believe they are any different to their wild cousins I can't understand, probably a way of justifying them as a pet. [And where do the frozen rats come from? Are they bred for feeding to snakes or are they caught in the wild?]

Rats eat anything: raw/cooked foods; chew through wire; plastic; wood; they will take wild/tame birds' eggs, fledglings, fish from the pond, new kittens/puppies ....... they spread disease. Are hardy. Have a tremendous sense of smell, large teeth and wee everywhere - that's how they find their way back to the nest.

We use a confined rat trap, hubby then shoots them with an air rifle at close range. Quicker than drowning. We haven't had any for about 5 years even though we have a working compost, chickens and a flourishing veg plot. Trouble is, if we kill too many we then have to apply for a disposal licence under environmental Law!

I keep my chicken feed in drums in a shed - so far so good. But if they show their little wiskers around our place ........
userdred
Posted: 13 May 2007 2:29 PM

Just joined

i had a few rolands living in my garden i bought a humane trap put in it digestive mc vities and caught 4 in a week! then i removed the compost heap and put all veg scraps and garden rubbish in council green bin and i havnt seen any rolands since! hope this helps
userhowie
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:36 AM

starspirit - 2007-05-11 3:07 PM

Moggies and doggies might dispatch the ones you can see but poison also shifts those you cant see!
Hi Richard. Too many problems with poison on a domestic scale. It can often be picked up by pets one way or another, with everything else being contaminated as well.
Most of the the problems can be avoided simply by taking more care with compost, bird feeding and household refuse etc. Take away their source of food and you take away the problem.

Hi Janet. Nothing wrong with your user name, and I agree it does have a certain ring to it. Already have a mental picture of you as "Margot" in the good life and i,m afraid that first impression will stick regardless. As for getting pictures on forum, this i,m afraid is a black art that many of us have yet to master, but hopefully others can offer you some advise.
userstarspirit
Posted: 14 May 2007 9:19 PM

Fair comment Howie - lets agree to differ - as I still favour poison administered by a trained professional 'ratman' as being the best rat eradication method.
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:20 PM

Liking what I've found

Hi Howie

I did laugh with your posting. I checked out forum on work internet today, but because of email and internet policy I could not reply.

Morgot! Pleeeese. I could be not more removed from her. Funny thing is my madien name was Good. Believe you me I am nothing like Margot!!!!!!

So looks like I am stuck with Janet East Riding down to my computer skills being about as good as Roland the rat that is still visiting us in our back garden! Pest control coming out Wednesday so watch this space.

So Janet East Riding it is! I can live with that.

Cheers
Janet
usermichele
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:27 PM

Oh Mrs Double Barrel ,
Go get them vermin girl
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:36 PM

Liking what I've found

Double Barrel, I wish, then I would be posh like Margot from the Good Life!

Yes I will, we and the neighbours are on a mission to sort out Roland and his mates!!

Cheers
Janet

PS: How is the book going?
userhowie
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:49 PM

We,ve had all the classy behond reproach stuff now Janet, but you keep hinting at a darker side to yourself. I would love to hear more of this, and if you press the arrow emoticon on your left this will ensure only I can read it so it stays strictly confidential. x
userhowie
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:50 PM

"Beyond" sorry. Bad night for spelling.
usermichele
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:51 PM

Only 8 pages not very well everytime I sit down to write someone phones interferes ...Saved a horse from death yesterday or people from a nasty accident . I was on my wayto see the litle one. A horse box had stopped on the M11 the guy was at the back door and the two girls with him were in blind panic on their mobiles funny what shock can do.
Anyway the guy couldn't get the lead rope from the horse who was in a blind panic to get out of the box it had gone down on all fours . I ran up and took the weight of its head . Good job as the girls had fled and left him the poor guy was shaking I said hey dont panic get something quick to cut the rope . A luck would have it he had a pocket pen knife cut the rope the horse flew out on its side fell into the road. He stood there in total shock at the back end the girls had gone to the front of the van and I was left stopping the traffic and as luck had it the horse got up off the ground and stood long enough for me to do my toto bit and grab it ..
they did say thank you Good deed for the day . Not much book writing though....still saved the animal and people from a nasty accident coul of got on to the M11...dont bear thinking about.
usermichele
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:53 PM

howie - 2007-05-14 11:49 PM

. I would love to hear more of this, and if you press the arrow emoticon on your left this will ensure only I can read it so it stays strictly confidential. x

Dont trust a man janet
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 14 May 2007 11:56 PM

Liking what I've found

Howie

You are scaring me a bit. I am really down to earth and am not hinting at anything I just love a good chat and have really enjoyed this forum before and after I registered. As I mentioned before me and my husband are looking at buying motorhome in the future and we have got loads of information from everyone that posts on this site which I thank you all for.

Janet
usermichele
Posted: 15 May 2007 12:03 AM

Janet Howies only having fun he wouldn't scare anyone well his picture might but jokes aside one of if not the nicest guys on here.

such a charming sweetie all the ladies love Howie he has a resident fan club which you'll be soon to join ( I BET )..
userhowie
Posted: 15 May 2007 12:17 AM

Will you stop interfering Michele. Never had the chance to scare anybody before and along with my psychic powers thats another one gone for a burton.
Sorry about that Janet. Just a bit of tesing, and I promise to be on my best behaviour with you in future.
usermichele
Posted: 15 May 2007 12:23 AM

Sorry about that Janet. Just a bit of tesing, and I promise to be on my best behaviour with you in future. ;-

Howie not like you to drop a clanger ROTFLMAO
wait till chopper see's this

Edited by michele 2007-05-15 12:24 AM
userForester
Posted: 15 May 2007 9:13 AM

Weeeeeeeeeell howie what have you been up to while i've been away hmmmmmm?. Janet East  Riding what a lovely name, & if you have anymore trouble with that howie guy tell giggles and she will sort him out. (I can grovel also) I.L.T.M.U.S. (for giggles) No8  No8  No8

Edited by Forester 2007-05-15 9:14 AM
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 15 May 2007 8:07 PM

Liking what I've found

Hello all.

Howie I send you my apologies and Forester you sort him out!!!

Looking back on my postings I think I had a humour disfunction!

New to all of this, and must just chill and enjoy the fun of all the banter.

Getting back to the thread, Our Roland Rats!!!! Spoke to Council again today and have confirmed they are coming out tomorrow. Next door have discovered a nest, and have put traps and posion down. Major brave husband took out all our veg peelings for compost bin, but did give it a good kick first before he took the lid off!! After saying that think the compost bin is going, but will see what pest control say tomorrow.

Roland today had a run in with one of our Blackbirds, and the blackbird gave him a good run for his money protecting his nest, yes it was the daddy blackbird.

I really really want to get rid of my Janet East Riding boob that I made with registering, it makes me sound so..... well you know. Not Margot from the Good Life, pleeeeese......! That is just so not me. Do not want that label.

Best to all
Janet
usermichele
Posted: 15 May 2007 8:16 PM

Janet ,
you had all the men swooning over you ...what a shame to change it ..
Still margot i would rather of been the otherone
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 15 May 2007 8:25 PM

Liking what I've found

Hi Michele.

Men swooning over me,, what a pleasure but not in real life LOL! In a lot of ways I am the other one, that is more me and my Maden name was GOOD!

Best luck with the book, page eight leads to page nine.

Cheers
Janet

userhowie
Posted: 15 May 2007 11:40 PM

Still set on changing your user name Janet. If you get in touch with the moderator he should be able to help as long as the name you want is not already registered or might be confused with someone else. Janet is a beautiful name anyway and East Riding is simply where you come from so why not leave it as it is.
Don,t know about this lack of swooning thing, but you do come over as a charming, polite and sincere lady, and I, along with all the other guys on this forum hope to hear a lot more from you.
Hope the council sort out the rat problems for you tomorrow. I know i,ve gone on about my dislike of using poison, but when it comes to the crunch your peace of mind comes first.
usermichele
Posted: 15 May 2007 11:43 PM

Old smoothie ....jackie get him he's out chasing others when he promised to be loyal to the other 5 he has on here ...

(5454a Nora batty.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 5454a Nora batty.jpg (29KB - 274 downloads)
userhowie
Posted: 16 May 2007 12:29 AM

Forester - 2007-05-15 9:13 AM

Weeeeeeeeeell howie what have you been up to while i've been away hmmmmmm?. Janet East  Riding what a lovely name, & if you have anymore trouble with that howie guy tell giggles and she will sort him out. (I can grovel also) I.L.T.M.U.S. (for giggles) No8  No8  No8
Not a lot Chopper. Worried about "giggles" though. Looking at her last few postings is like reading her mind. All blank pages.
Get that No8 emoticon sorted will you. You,ve racked up 24 on this posting alone, and when,s your latest "newsletter" coming out. Long overdue and looking forward to it.
userLizzy
Posted: 16 May 2007 12:42 PM

A posting machine

Human wee round the perimiter of the garden? Easy for you men but hard work for we girls ........ so maybe resort to a bucket and when it's half full pour it round the flower beds. Rats might take the hint

Make sure that nothing else can get at the poison. I think it's cruel, as the rat takes it back to the nest to die a slow death. Better to trap them ....... quick blow on the head or air-rifle pellet.
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 16 May 2007 10:04 PM

Liking what I've found

Hi Howie

Have decided to stay with Janet East Riding. But pleeeeeese do not think I am a Margot from the Good Life. Thank you for your lovely thoughts, I do care and I am sincere and love a good chat.

Anyway, down to the business of Roland and his friends.

Today the Pest Control Officer came out from the Council. He was really good, gave us loads of information, was professional and above all was sympathetic with me in particular as I have been having a total freak out about all of this.

Our problem along with all our neighbours is because we are all doing our bit for the environment, i.e getting compost bins, In our garden they have built a nest under our compost bin, chewed threw the base and have on tap facilities to the restaurant! We have been told that we have to get rid of the food source, but to be honist that is a scary prospect. I have emailed the Council and complained as they have been promoting compost bins, and look where it got us! I have also asked if they will remove the bin for us, as how do you do that in a safe way without having the expertise? Doubt that they will, but worth asking. So guess what my lovely hubby is going to have to attempt this weekend! I will be no use, I will be the total wimp screaming behind the patio windows!

We have been advised that if we want to keep the compost bin then we must put chicken wire under it so they cannot chew up threw the base to the compost bin, thus their food source. This was not mentioned in the leaflets that we got with the bin.

Sorry guys, but the bin is going! We also have the poison down. I know a lot of you do not agree, as not perhaps humane, but when it comes to garden/sewer rats you just have to do what you have to do. I love animals and would not do anything to hurt, but this is different as they can cause a lot of harm to us, our children and our pets as they carry all sort of horrible things that we don't even want to think about it. Believe me the Pest Control Officer told us all about it, and it was not pleasant.

I have put a complaint into the Council about this as they have been positively promoting us all in the East Riding re the recyling thing. We do our bit, We have two blue bins for all plastic and tins and paper, which the Council collect every four weeks.. We have a black bin for the glass, and an another for all the cardboard which we have to take to the Council site to recycle as they do not collect. We also take all our garden waste as well. My poor hubby spends a lot of his time taking all this stuff to the sites. What on earth do we pay out Council tax for!!!! Sorry having a real rant, but it makes me so cross!

When Mel comes back from her holidays, she is going to wonder what she has started off with this posting! I just hope her problem is sorted as well.

Cheers to everyone.
Janet

usermichele
Posted: 16 May 2007 10:36 PM

Rat,s chew through chicken wire ....we have it at the stables as a matter of fact they blody chew though everything .

Wicked lot us lot are we are so fed up with it that we all decided that every morning people were sick of cleaning the Rat's dropping off of the counter top (Not Mouse dropping) anyway we decided to coat the electric wires in chocolate . Boom Boom they were eating it anyway along with the feed ,sugar, everytime you open the fridge one would greet you when you were'nt expecting it.
How we dont know up under I should imagine.

You get rid of em girl not quite the same as housepets.
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 16 May 2007 10:53 PM

Liking what I've found

Hi Michele

Thank you for your reply. As I said we are getting rid of the compost bin, which is their food source.

The Pest Control man told us about the chickenwire, but I do not care the bin is going. At least in a garden we can hopefully control it, but it must be a real nightmare for you in stables. The other thing we were told was to make sure the outside vent to our tumble drier has a cover on it (it did not untill tonight!) as they love going into to that as well, which means they have access to your house! Luckly so far there is no evidence of that!

This whole situation has just totally given me the jitters.

Cheers
Janet
userhowie
Posted: 16 May 2007 11:55 PM

Hi. When the children were growing up our old back garden resembled a zoo, with just about every type of pet in residence there. With all the food available you can imagine the potential for vermin to take over, but this never happened due to a succession of other pets including cats, terriors and the odd ferret or two. I know i,ve been banging on about not using poison Janet, but obviously the problem you have needs putting right regardless of the method employed, so don,t worry how its done, your,e peace of mind comes first. Agree with your comments on councils. Pamphlets warning you of the dangers, and then extending collection times to a fortnight, AND charging you extra for the privilage.
userJanet East Riding
Posted: 17 May 2007 8:10 PM

Liking what I've found

Hi Howie and all

We do not have lots of pets, only our python! But somehow don't think she/he (don't know what sex) would survive if we set she/he down the hole! Would not in a million years consider doing that as she/he is our sweetie.

Thanks Howie for your thoughts and understanding of this situation. Where we live there is no intention at the moment of going to fortnight collections as yet. I do so hope that does not happen. We would not have a problem, but the county where we live the population is dominated by elderly people who may not be able to go to the Council sites as they may not have transport. I cant see it hapening here for now. I so hope so.

Feel somehow I have taken over this thread, which is perhaps not right. But if you want updates on the great removal of the compost bin adventure at the weekend will do so and the response we do get from the Council, then I will let you know.

Mel, my apologies for hijacking your original thread.

Cheers
Janet

Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 4 NextLast
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator