RATS ... what's their favourite food?

Mel B

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still set on changing your user name Janet. If you get in touch with the moderator he should be able to help as long as the name you want is not already registered or might be confused with someone else. Janet is a beautiful name anyway and East Riding is simply where you come from so why not leave it as it is.

Don,t know about this lack of swooning thing, but you do come over as a charming, polite and sincere lady, and I, along with all the other guys on this forum hope to hear a lot more from you.

Hope the council sort out the rat problems for you tomorrow. I know i,ve gone on about my dislike of using poison, but when it comes to the crunch your peace of mind comes first.

Forester - 2007-05-15 9:13 AM

Weeeeeeeeeell howie what have you been up to while i've been away hmmmmmm?. Janet East  Riding what a lovely name, & if you have anymore trouble with that howie guy tell giggles and she will sort him out. (I can grovel also) I.L.T.M.U.S. (for giggles) No8  No8  No8

Not a lot Chopper. Worried about "giggles" though. Looking at her last few postings is like reading her mind. All blank pages.

Get that No8 emoticon sorted will you. You,ve racked up 24 on this posting alone, and when,s your latest "newsletter" coming out. Long overdue and looking forward to it. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Human wee round the perimiter of the garden? Easy for you men but hard work for we girls ........ so maybe resort to a bucket and when it's half full pour it round the flower beds. Rats might take the hint *-)

Make sure that nothing else can get at the poison. I think it's cruel, as the rat takes it back to the nest to die a slow death. Better to trap them ....... quick blow on the head or air-rifle pellet. (?)

Hi Howie

Have decided to stay with Janet East Riding. But pleeeeeese do not think I am a Margot from the Good Life. Thank you for your lovely thoughts, I do care and I am sincere and love a good chat.

Anyway, down to the business of Roland and his friends.

Today the Pest Control Officer came out from the Council. He was really good, gave us loads of information, was professional and above all was sympathetic with me in particular as I have been having a total freak out about all of this.

Our problem along with all our neighbours is because we are all doing our bit for the environment, i.e getting compost bins, In our garden they have built a nest under our compost bin, chewed threw the base and have on tap facilities to the restaurant! We have been told that we have to get rid of the food source, but to be honist that is a scary prospect. I have emailed the Council and complained as they have been promoting compost bins, and look where it got us! I have also asked if they will remove the bin for us, as how do you do that in a safe way without having the expertise? Doubt that they will, but worth asking. So guess what my lovely hubby is going to have to attempt this weekend! I will be no use, I will be the total wimp screaming behind the patio windows!

We have been advised that if we want to keep the compost bin then we must put chicken wire under it so they cannot chew up threw the base to the compost bin, thus their food source. This was not mentioned in the leaflets that we got with the bin.

Sorry guys, but the bin is going! We also have the poison down. I know a lot of you do not agree, as not perhaps humane, but when it comes to garden/sewer rats you just have to do what you have to do. I love animals and would not do anything to hurt, but this is different as they can cause a lot of harm to us, our children and our pets as they carry all sort of horrible things that we don't even want to think about it. Believe me the Pest Control Officer told us all about it, and it was not pleasant.

I have put a complaint into the Council about this as they have been positively promoting us all in the East Riding re the recyling thing. We do our bit, We have two blue bins for all plastic and tins and paper, which the Council collect every four weeks.. We have a black bin for the glass, and an another for all the cardboard which we have to take to the Council site to recycle as they do not collect. We also take all our garden waste as well. My poor hubby spends a lot of his time taking all this stuff to the sites. What on earth do we pay out Council tax for!!!! Sorry having a real rant, but it makes me so cross!

When Mel comes back from her holidays, she is going to wonder what she has started off with this posting! I just hope her problem is sorted as well.

Cheers to everyone.

Janet

Rat,s chew through chicken wire ....we have it at the stables as a matter of fact they blody chew though everything .

Wicked lot us lot are we are so fed up with it that we all decided that every morning people were sick of cleaning the Rat's dropping off of the counter top (Not Mouse dropping) anyway we decided to coat the electric wires in chocolate . Boom Boom they were eating it anyway along with the feed ,sugar, everytime you open the fridge one would greet you when you were'nt expecting it.

How we dont know up under I should imagine.

You get rid of em girl not quite the same as housepets. 8-)

Hi Michele

Thank you for your reply. As I said we are getting rid of the compost bin, which is their food source.

The Pest Control man told us about the chickenwire, but I do not care the bin is going. At least in a garden we can hopefully control it, but it must be a real nightmare for you in stables. The other thing we were told was to make sure the outside vent to our tumble drier has a cover on it (it did not untill tonight!) as they love going into to that as well, which means they have access to your house! Luckly so far there is no evidence of that!

This whole situation has just totally given me the jitters.

Cheers

Janet

Hi. When the children were growing up our old back garden resembled a zoo, with just about every type of pet in residence there. With all the food available you can imagine the potential for vermin to take over, but this never happened due to a succession of other pets including cats, terriors and the odd ferret or two. I know i,ve been banging on about not using poison Janet, but obviously the problem you have needs putting right regardless of the method employed, so don,t worry how its done, your,e peace of mind comes first. Agree with your comments on councils. Pamphlets warning you of the dangers, and then extending collection times to a fortnight, AND charging you extra for the privilage. :-(

Hi Howie and all

We do not have lots of pets, only our python! But somehow don't think she/he (don't know what sex) would survive if we set she/he down the hole! Would not in a million years consider doing that as she/he is our sweetie.

Thanks Howie for your thoughts and understanding of this situation. Where we live there is no intention at the moment of going to fortnight collections as yet. I do so hope that does not happen. We would not have a problem, but the county where we live the population is dominated by elderly people who may not be able to go to the Council sites as they may not have transport. I cant see it hapening here for now. I so hope so.

Feel somehow I have taken over this thread, which is perhaps not right. But if you want updates on the great removal of the compost bin adventure at the weekend will do so and the response we do get from the Council, then I will let you know.

Mel, my apologies for hijacking your original thread.

Cheers

Janet

wow this thread has got really exciting and a little bit wild.

Howie I'm ashamed of you, any more of this and you'll have to stand in the corner :-> :->

speaking of rats - don't suppose east riding have any plans to cull the ones with wings - introduce a few peregrines - that would be good :D

there's a bird of prey centre opened a couple of miles from us apparently, perhaps if they stopped feeding them .. .. .. .. .. ..

B-)

no I'm talking about the $%£$&(()UCVR that are taking over the world. Apparently the wring necked dove [yeah - it's deliberate - it's what I want to do with them] is a rampant illegal immigrant, and now has reps in just about every country, wood pigeons have taken over a nearby Barn Owl nesting site. they make an awful racket, frighten off the other birds, and 5h1t everywhere.

jery - I live near Pocklington - also an immigrant but I got a visa [oh is a lanky] cos I've got relatives in Selby and used to go there for holidays as a kid [ exciting what] [incidentally, there's a continental market on there this Saturday]

B-)

Wow Twooks that was some rant, and I thought I was bad going on about my Roland rats!

I remember when I was little (a long time ago) the ring necked doves used to coo down our chimmy and drove us all mad.

I am also an imigrant to the East Riding and have my visa, I am a good Scottish lass who loves the East Riding and we have been made very welcome, which I cannot say the same about when we lived down South. London and Milton Keynes. No offence to any one that lives there, but we found it really unfriendly unlike the North.

Continental market was in Beverley last Sunday. Was ok, not very big, we bought some sausages, but a bit expensive. The regular market in Beverley on a Saturady is really good, has loads of local produce.

Pocklington is a lovely part of the world. (what does oh is a lanky mean?)

Cheers

Janet

Janet East Riding - 2007-05-17 9:42 PM Wow Twooks that was some rant, and I thought I was bad going on about my Roland rats! I remember when I was little (a long time ago) the ring necked doves used to coo down our chimmy and drove us all mad. I am also an imigrant to the East Riding and have my visa, I am a good Scottish lass who loves the East Riding and we have been made very welcome, which I cannot say the same about when we lived down South. London and Milton Keynes. No offence to any one that lives there, but we found it really unfriendly unlike the North. Continental market was in Beverley last Sunday. Was ok, not very big, we bought some sausages, but a bit expensive. The regular market in Beverley on a Saturady is really good, has loads of local produce. Pocklington is a lovely part of the world. (what does oh is a lanky mean?) Cheers Janet

I am also an imigrant to the East Riding and have my visa, I am a good Scottish lass who loves the East Riding and we have been made very welcome, which I cannot say the same about when we lived down South. London and Milton Keynes. No offence to any one that lives there, but we found it really unfriendly unlike the North.

Be careful.....

Looks like I have upset someone from Milton Keyes. We lived there for nearly 12 years and I hated everything about the place. The only good thing was the shops. This is only my personal experience.

I will however apologise if I have caused offence, but I do not think it is ok to make threats on a forum.

Janet

Janet East Riding - 2007-05-17 9:57 PM Looks like I have upset someone from Milton Keyes. We lived there for nearly 12 years and I hated everything about the place. The only good thing was the shops. This is only my personal experience. I will however apologise if I have caused offence, but I do not think it is ok to make threats on a forum. Janet

Janet,

Have you never heard of TIC?

It translates - tongue in cheek - and you certainly haven't caused offence.

Hi there

I am glad. I am new to going on a forum, but am learning they are a bit like email, that you can say one thing and it sounds like another!

Meant what I said about the shops in Milton Keynes they are mint as my son would say, but unfortunatly in all the years we lived there I really did not settle. But each to their own.

Cheers

Janet

Janet East Riding - 2007-05-17 10:15 PM Hi there I am glad. I am new to going on a forum, but am learning they are a bit like email, that you can say one thing and it sounds like another! Meant what I said about the shops in Milton Keynes they are mint as my son would say, but unfortunatly in all the years we lived there I really did not settle. But each to their own. Cheers Janet

No problem, I don't even like the shops,

Take care.

Willan lake is looking good, we were there about a month ago or so. We were visiting friends and was impressed with everything they have put in for kids, glad to see they have refurbished the playground, a lot safer. Enjoyed watching the guys going round on that thing on the water and jumping over all the ramps. When my boys were little we used to go there a lot on our bikes to visit all the geese and get pecked by the swans!!!

However, was not impressed that you now have to pay for the parking!! Still that is Councils for you.. all over the land.

Still think the shops are mint through, I do miss that.

Cheers

Janet

Willen lake is looking good, we were there about a month ago or so. We were visiting friends and was impressed with everything they have put in for kids, glad to see they have refurbished the playground, a lot safer. Enjoyed watching the guys going round on that thing on the water and jumping over all the ramps. When my boys were little we used to go there a lot on our bikes to visit all the geese and get pecked by the swans!!!

However, was not impressed that you now have to pay for the parking!! Still that is Councils for you.. all over the land.

Cheers

Janet

Willen lake is looking good, we were there about a month ago or so. We were visiting friends and was impressed with everything they have put in for kids, glad to see they have refurbished the playground, a lot safer. Enjoyed watching the guys going round on that thing on the water and jumping over all the ramps. When my boys were little we used to go there a lot on our bikes to visit all the geese and get pecked by the swans!!!

Cheers

Janet

Archived