RATS ... what's their favourite food?

Mel B

Willen lake is looking good, we were there about a month ago or so. We were visiting friends and was impressed with everything they have put in for kids, glad to see they have refurbished the playground, a lot safer. Enjoyed watching the guys going round on that thing on the water and jumping over all the ramps. When my boys were little we used to go there a lot on our bikes to visit all the geese and get pecked by the swans!!!

However, was not impressed that you now have to pay for the parking!! Still that is Councils for you.. all over the land.

Still think the shops are mint through, I do miss that.

Cheers

Janet

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok jery

a lanky - is a Lancastrian

a tyke - is a Yorkshireman

a wessie - is from West Yorkshire - and is a complete one off

lankies n tykes haven't hit it off for ohh over 500 nearly 600 years

[which is funny when you're neither and can just sit back n mix it ]

and southerners - uhh - well it's a bit of a movable line - to me it's really anyone south of a line from the humber to the dee. basically - the M62 altho I suppose we have to let Manchester in!

B-)

Easy with that submit button Janet. sometimes you get a pause so try to resist the temptation to press again. Michele usually gets them in two at a time but four must be a record. Glad to see your getting on with Twooks, and if there,s anything you need to know regarding how the forum works then she,s the one to ask as she knows it inside out.

howie - 2007-05-17 11:21 PM

Come on then mush. Whats tickling you now then.

you know 'chele, she's probably mixing the pink ones with the yellow spotted ones :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and she's really addicted to the little green smiley - must admit that is quite catching. :D :D :D *-) *-) *-) *-) *-)

B-)

Hi all. Not done a runner, just been really really busy. First of all apologies yet again, not used to forums as I have never been on one before, Don't know how I pressed the button four times!!! Thank you all for your good thoughts.

Anyway update on my good friend Roland!

The good news is that yesterday Hubby and No 2 son cleared out the compost bin, (cost me £5 for number 2 son to do this, but bless him he did despite him nearly throwing up!!) and despite what the pest control officer told us there was no sign of them chewing up threw the bottom of the bin. You could see where they had been burrowing in the earth, but that was about it. Fingers crossed, we no longer have our visitors, but as regards that compost bin, it is gone!!!!! As even if they did not get into it is was obviously attracting them.

Am I one happy bunny or what!

Mel is going to have a interesting time when she gets back from her hols reading through all the posts! As I said before, and here I go again, apologies if I have hijacked this thread somewhat.

Cheers

Janet

You have,nt hijacked the thread at all Janet, in fact you are to be commended for keeping to the subject, something thats sadly lacking where a lot of other users are concerned.

Hopefully the removal of your compost bin will go a long way to solving your problem with the rats, but still a pity as as this form of recycling does wonders for both the enviroment and the garden as well, with this type of fertiliser never bettered when it comes to feeding the soil apart from horse droppings that is. (Droppings?. Getting really sophisticated these days Jan, and I put that down I put that down to mixing with all these educated folk on this forum.) ;-)

Howie, you are a Gentleman.

I agree about the compost bin as we have always tried to do our bit for the environment, but we just cannot welcome Roland and his friends. After saying that, we will still keep the scraps that would have gone in the compost bin but take them to the dump instead.

Horse droppings! Don't think horses have droppings! More like great big dumps!!!

I can remember years ago my Grandad collecting this from (cannot remember) might have been the rag and bone man or the police horses, there was alway a big issue about who had it, not like today where cars just drive through it! Where we live there are lots of horses but unfortunately no one wants to scoop up off the roads the little presents that they leave! Ah times gone by.....

You will be glad to hear that we have had no sightings of Roland and friends for a while now, and none of the bate has been taken. So looks like we have not caused any horrible deaths. I am not saying this lightly, as I love animals, but we just had to deal with what we had to deal with.

Cheers

Jante

Never mind the rats and horse dung Janet, what about this motorhome your,e hoping to get in the near future. How about telling us what attracts you to this lifestyle and are there any vans that youv,e seen and fancy yet.

Hi Howie

We are avid readers of MMM, and as I said a while ago we are looking to get a motorhome in the next couple of years or so once the mortgage has been paid of, and still having a few years of working life ahead before we retire!!, (Have I just given an indication of my age!!)

We are doing our homework, looking at all the sites on the internet, this one being the main one, and take great pleasure in visiting the dealers. We have been to the shows at Driffield and York last year to get as much information as we can before we take the plunge. Later this year we are going to hire, so we can be absolutly sure that this is for us (which I am sure it is) but before you spend 30K or so it makes sense.

As a kid all our holidays were in campervans/motorhomes. The first one that my mum and dad had was a Ford Thames rising roof, I remember it well. The rising roof had red and white strips on it with hammock beds. My mother was so frightend I would fall out that she used to tie me in!!

Over many years my parents progressed to better and better motor homes, had many happy times, and finally reached their retirement with lots of plans and their ultimate van. But like what happens to so many people, my Dad got ill and only saw 18 months of his retirement which most of it he was ill so their plans never happened. Very sad, but I learned a lesson, that life has to lived while you are living it, the future will take care of itself.

For the meantime, we are looking and looking and enjoying every minute of it to the day that we will get our Motorhome.

As to vans we fancy, my goodness where do I start! Just give me a lottery win and motorhome joy would come to us all. Seriously, we really liked a van that is no longer, the Swift Royal with the back lounge set up.

Thanks for asking Howie

really appreciated it

Cheers

Janet

Glad to see you re going about it the right way Janet and not like us where we tend to buy on impulse. At least its not a step into the unknown, and with your previous experiences you obviously know what to look for and expect.

Almost bought a Swift Royale 610 some years ago with the rear lounge layout. Beautifull van, but it was more than we could afford. Saying that, (and where you mentioned your dad) there,s nothing like a serious illness to get things in perspective so blow the expense and make the most of it.

I think your green star means you have totted up 25 postings, but i,m not sure.

Hi Howie and all that are logged on

Just doing my usual checking in with my cup of tea before off up the stairs to Bedfordshire.

The Rats thread I think has gone by its sell by date so perhaps think we have to make a new one?

How do we make the new conversation from this one move on? Regarding what makes people want to join the world of Motorhomes!

My previous experiences were as a child, and as an only child I hated it!!! In a campervan/motohome trundling around Scotland please...! with Mum and Dad. But as an Adulit my absolute idea of heaven!

Wow green star I am proud, do I get a medal for that!!!

Cheers

Janet

Yes Janet a Gold One .. ;-)

How to start a new Thread go to the top of the page click New Thread and call it what you want ..If youjust want to Chit & chat look for the header chit & chat and you can just talk on that one saves you chatting on others ! Not that I mind. Good Luck :->

Howie will be on later I,m sure usually 11 onwards...he's a dirty little stoppy outer ;-)

Hi Janet. You will find that threads will go off subject after a while, and though this is something I never do myself, this happens quite a lot. Now you know how to start a new thread simply fire away with anything you fancy, or if you want just put it on "chit and chat as Michele suggested.

Any topic is allowed on this forum, so give it a go and see what happens.

HI Guys

The rat debate goes on. Got a response from the council, did not answer my questions but gives good advise and will respond privately, but thought I would pass it on even if it is probably a standard reply.

If any of you have rats go on your local Council Website A-Z select P for pest control and you will get the contact details. Advise as below.

Cheers Janet

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I am writing in response to your email regarding rats in your compost bin. I am very sorry to hear that you have had rats in your garden. It is very rare for a rat to choose a compost bin to live in. So it is very unfortunate that this has happened to you.

There is a chance that the rats were already in and around your garden before the entered your bin. There are many reasons why rats may be already in the vicinity of your garden. For example if you live near water, farm land/open countryside or derelict buildings, you are likely to have rats living around the local area. They may be attracted into your garden like other animals to look for a dry place to shelter for example under a shed or decking or to find food. One common source of food is if you over-feed wild birds (leaving excess food exposed). A rat is only likely to seek out a compost bin in the garden if incorrect waste items have been composted, making the bin a source of food as well as a shelter. For this reason you should not compost cooked foods, dairy products, meat, fish or bones.

Rats are shy creatures and don't like disturbance, noise or changes in the physical environment in the garden. Regularly adding to your compost bin and perhaps even aerating the material now and then will ensure that the composting process works effectively and the frequent disturbance inside and around the bin will act as an effective deterrent against rats.

Rats prefer a dry environment to shelter in. Adding a balance of 'greens and browns' should ensure that the compost does not provide a dry habitat – the contents of an ideal compost bin should be about as moist as a wrung-out sponge. If your bin does get too dry add some water. It will help the composting and deter visitors.

Site the bin away from walls and fences and anywhere that can be a sheltered 'runway'. Rats don't like to cross open spaces and won't want to be regularly exposed to get to a bin. Similarly, don't tuck your compost bin away in a part of the garden you rarely visit. Put it somewhere that you regularly walk past the bin, not only will it discourage rats but it will remind you and encourage you to be an active composter.

The above information is consistent with advice provided by Garden Organic, the National Charity for Organic Growing. The Garden Organic advisory team have not seen any noticeable increase in the number of queries they receive relating to problems with rats when home composting, despite the sharp increase in home composting in the UK in recent years.

With regard to emptying the bin I would suggest that you lift the bin over the compost and re-site it in a more suitable location. Hopefully the above information can help you decide the location. You could then either shovel the compost back into the bin or you could bag it up and take it to the HWRS in Weel. If you are worried about the rats returning then you can either place the chicken wire underneath the bin, buy a base for the bin or place the bin on top of a very thick wad of newspaper (5/6 inches deep).

If you contact the council's pest control department then they can assist you with the treatment of the rats. They can be contacted on %%%%% %%%%%%

Also remember, that it is always a good idea to wear gloves when handling compost and soil.

I hope this goes some way to help you with the problem, if you require any further advice

did you know that RATS is an anagram of STAR so, remaining on thread - your query earlier about coloured stars is answered in the

'Forums FAQs' posting - in General Chat I think - and it's a 'sticky' ie it stays near the top of the thread listings. but ..

Q: What are the little stars beneath people's names on their posts?

A: When a user has posted on the forums a certain number of times, they are awarded a star - 25 posts means the user gets a green star, 100 posts receives a purple star, 500 a blue star, 1000 a red star, 2000 a silver star and 5000+ a gold star.

It's an easy way of telling who's been around for a while - generally a user with a high post count is quite experienced and a good person to ask advice from!

(Please note that the post counts will only take into account messages

contributed since the 22nd of March 2006.)

hth

B-)

PS FAQs is under Forums-> General Chat-> Announcements

Archived