RATS ... what's their favourite food?

Mel B

Janet, thanks for the info, not getting sentimental about the rats really, just teasing some forumites! ;-)

With having 2 pet ones (rats not forum members!) they are lovely little animals to have around, but obviously are nothing like their wild relations. Still haven't caught anymore so I'm afraid its out with the nasty stuff in the morning. :-(

1908196398_MistyAmber.jpg.0f328bd309887a0e93b7c86ef5d4f95a.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There

The East Riding Council will pay to put down poison and traps, but understand you are going on holiday.

I have been freaking out about Roland and his mates having fun in our back Garden. Found out that a neighbour two doors down feeds the birds on a big scale and that is what has attracted them. Give our neighbour his due, he has now packed away all his bird tables. and I and our other neighbours are getting rid of the compost bins. To think the Council encouraged us to do this in the name of recyclying, and brought us Roland and his friends does not bear thinking about!

Well cheesed off after thinking we were doing our bit for the enviorment and global warming!!!

Cheers

Janet

Hi Mel. Not sure if you will pick this up as know you are off on you hols. Your tame rats are really sweet and know that they make lovely pets.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I keep them in my freezer, my son has a python called Norbert!!!

Been good talking to a fellow person from the East Riding and not Humberside, yes it grates on me as well even if I am Scottish!

Enjoy your holiday

Janet

Hiya Janet, and what a welcome addition you will be to the forum. Any problems we now have that require council attention can now be forwarded direct to our very own "in house" consultant. Hopefully we can then return the favour when you get your motorhome.

Not to sure how Mels meeces Itchy and Scratchy will take to Norbert the python, but how about a picture so we can all have a look.

While I agree that rats are vermin, i,m against useing poison but this is purely personal. On domestic properties nothing beats a good old moggie. We have two, and anything with fur or feathers is quickly despatched with a minimum of fuss. What more do you need. ;-)

Guest starspirit
Moggies and doggies might dispatch the ones you can see but poison also shifts those you cant see!

Hi Howie

Thank you for the welcome to the forum. Bless you. I am not an expert on the Roland rat thing but I do work for the Council and can give directions to what departments to go to if anyone has problems that involve a Council. Certainly the Council I work for are very good and take every complaint, complliment and comment very seriously.

Our Roland and his mates in our back garden have not made an appearance for a couple of days now but we are still very wary. I have not been to the compost bin since Sunday!! Pest control are coming out next Wednesday.

Can you tell me how I post a picture of Norbert? Our Norbert the python is lovely, best pet we ever had after going thorugh all the pets that you go thorugh when your kids are young. They are very low maintenance, and you get lots of cuddles. Only down side is that I have to keep frozen rats in my freezer. Not the garden variety I may add!!!

Mels Itchy and Scratchy are lovely, tame rats make fantastic pets as they are so clean and friendly, but unfortunately their friends that visit in the garden are not good news.

There is only one way to get rid in the garden and no matter what your feelings are on the matter unfortunatley it has to be done, otherwise they can spead all sorts of nasy stuff to us and our family pets. We all want to be kind and let live, but when it comes down to rats in the garden we have to be sensible and just deal with it.

Sad I know but we do not want to contract Weils desease.

Many thanks for your posting.

Janet

A rat is a rat - whether it's tame or living in the compost. Intelligent, humerous ........ why people who keep them as pets believe they are any different to their wild cousins I can't understand, probably a way of justifying them as a pet. [And where do the frozen rats come from? Are they bred for feeding to snakes or are they caught in the wild?]

Rats eat anything: raw/cooked foods; chew through wire; plastic; wood; they will take wild/tame birds' eggs, fledglings, fish from the pond, new kittens/puppies ....... they spread disease. Are hardy. Have a tremendous sense of smell, large teeth and wee everywhere - that's how they find their way back to the nest.

We use a confined rat trap, hubby then shoots them with an air rifle at close range. Quicker than drowning. We haven't had any for about 5 years even though we have a working compost, chickens and a flourishing veg plot. Trouble is, if we kill too many we then have to apply for a disposal licence under environmental Law! *-)

I keep my chicken feed in drums in a shed - so far so good. But if they show their little wiskers around our place ........ >:-(

i had a few rolands living in my garden i bought a humane trap put in it digestive mc vities and caught 4 in a week! then i removed the compost heap and put all veg scraps and garden rubbish in council green bin and i havnt seen any rolands since! hope this helps :-D

starspirit - 2007-05-11 3:07 PM

Moggies and doggies might dispatch the ones you can see but poison also shifts those you cant see!

Hi Richard. Too many problems with poison on a domestic scale. It can often be picked up by pets one way or another, with everything else being contaminated as well.

Most of the the problems can be avoided simply by taking more care with compost, bird feeding and household refuse etc. Take away their source of food and you take away the problem.

Hi Janet. Nothing wrong with your user name, and I agree it does have a certain ring to it. Already have a mental picture of you as "Margot" in the good life and i,m afraid that first impression will stick regardless. As for getting pictures on forum, this i,m afraid is a black art that many of us have yet to master, but hopefully others can offer you some advise. :-S

Guest starspirit
Fair comment Howie - lets agree to differ - as I still favour poison administered by a trained professional 'ratman' as being the best rat eradication method.

Hi Howie

I did laugh with your posting. I checked out forum on work internet today, but because of email and internet policy I could not reply.

Morgot! Pleeeese. I could be not more removed from her. Funny thing is my madien name was Good. Believe you me I am nothing like Margot!!!!!!

So looks like I am stuck with Janet East Riding down to my computer skills being about as good as Roland the rat that is still visiting us in our back garden! Pest control coming out Wednesday so watch this space.

So Janet East Riding it is! I can live with that.

Cheers

Janet

We,ve had all the classy behond reproach stuff now Janet, but you keep hinting at a darker side to yourself. I would love to hear more of this, and if you press the arrow emoticon on your left this will ensure only I can read it so it stays strictly confidential. x

Only 8 pages not very well everytime I sit down to write someone phones interferes ...Saved a horse from death yesterday or people from a nasty accident . I was on my wayto see the litle one. A horse box had stopped on the M11 the guy was at the back door and the two girls with him were in blind panic on their mobiles funny what shock can do.

Anyway the guy couldn't get the lead rope from the horse who was in a blind panic to get out of the box it had gone down on all fours . I ran up and took the weight of its head . Good job as the girls had fled and left him the poor guy was shaking I said hey dont panic get something quick to cut the rope . A luck would have it he had a pocket pen knife cut the rope the horse flew out on its side fell into the road. He stood there in total shock at the back end the girls had gone to the front of the van and I was left stopping the traffic and as luck had it the horse got up off the ground and stood long enough for me to do my toto bit and grab it ..

they did say thank you Good deed for the day . Not much book writing though....still saved the animal and people from a nasty accident coul of got on to the M11...dont bear thinking about.

howie - 2007-05-14 11:49 PM

. I would love to hear more of this, and if you press the arrow emoticon on your left this will ensure only I can read it so it stays strictly confidential. x

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Dont trust a man janet *-)

Howie

You are scaring me a bit. I am really down to earth and am not hinting at anything I just love a good chat and have really enjoyed this forum before and after I registered. As I mentioned before me and my husband are looking at buying motorhome in the future and we have got loads of information from everyone that posts on this site which I thank you all for.

Janet

Janet Howies only having fun ;-) he wouldn't scare anyone well his picture might but jokes aside one of if not the nicest guys on here.

such a charming sweetie all the ladies love Howie he has a resident fan club which you'll be soon to join ( I BET ).. ;-)

Will you stop interfering Michele. Never had the chance to scare anybody before and along with my psychic powers thats another one gone for a burton.

Sorry about that Janet. Just a bit of tesing, and I promise to be on my best behaviour with you in future. ;-)

Weeeeeeeeeell howie what have you been up to while i've been away hmmmmmm?. Janet East  Riding what a lovely name, & if you have anymore trouble with that howie guy tell giggles and she will sort him out. (I can grovel also) I.L.T.M.U.S. (for giggles) No8  No8  No8

Hello all.

Howie I send you my apologies and Forester you sort him out!!!

Looking back on my postings I think I had a humour disfunction!

New to all of this, and must just chill and enjoy the fun of all the banter.

Getting back to the thread, Our Roland Rats!!!! Spoke to Council again today and have confirmed they are coming out tomorrow. Next door have discovered a nest, and have put traps and posion down. Major brave husband took out all our veg peelings for compost bin, but did give it a good kick first before he took the lid off!! After saying that think the compost bin is going, but will see what pest control say tomorrow.

Roland today had a run in with one of our Blackbirds, and the blackbird gave him a good run for his money protecting his nest, yes it was the daddy blackbird.

I really really want to get rid of my Janet East Riding boob that I made with registering, it makes me sound so..... well you know. Not Margot from the Good Life, pleeeeese......! That is just so not me. Do not want that label.

Best to all

Janet

Archived