Accelerator pedal moves by itself and over revs or stalls the engine

Markatlee

We have an Eurostar, 3.0 litre 160, camper with a fiat. Ducato basis.

Made in 2010

She drove well enough for the first year, she began to smoke terribly, a black thick smoke, after much searching the egr system was replaced , since then the unknown problem began, she drives well for about 200-300 kilometers then when slowing down, to around 60 klm or driving she starts to malfunction, the accelerator pedal actually moves up and down and from nearly stalling to hard accelerating making driving a nightmare to be honest.

We have so far had a whole new egr fitted, fuel injection system, clutch,and gear box, a new on board computer, which apparently has to learn, a diesel expert has looked at it, fiat has given it a diagnostic, 3 garages have given it a computer analysis, it always says that there is nothing wrong.

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

She is a 3.5 ton, 7.5 meter camper

Modern vehicles are drive by wire as the accelerator is concerned. The accelerator pedal connects directly to a duplicated variable electrical resistor unit, which also contains the pedal return spring. There is no way that the pedal is going to move independently, unless perhaps the return spring is broken.

Alan

Thanks for the reply Alan, that's what everyone says, yet the pedal really does move on it's own, it revs as the pedal moves by itself. I shall ask them to check the spring as you suggested, thanks for that, the garage now wants to bring in a software expert, even though we have just had the onboard computer replaced! Thanks for the suggestion, I shall pass it on to the garage.

Like Alanb I find it hard to imagine how there could normally be ‘feedback’ from the motor that could cause the accelerator pedal to meve of its own volition. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT cause such movement is if a ‘mechanical’ cruise-control system had been fitted that physically connected the pedal to the motor using a cable, but that’s most unlikely to be the case with Mark’s motorhome.

(The only “Eurostar” motorhomes I’m aware of are/were built by a company called Apollo and marketed in New Zealand and Australia. Is that relevant here?)

Markatlee - 2019-08-31 8:58 AM

Thank you for the reply, my autostar was built iin France I believe , I have seen a few as we have driven through France. 2010 was the year of production.

Autostar is a French manufacturer with a factory near Quintin about 20km south-west of Saint Brieuc in Brittany. The marque has an excellent reputation in France for good build quality and innovation and has been part of the Trigano Group since 1998.

Autostar commenced motorhome production at Quintin in 1985, but has taken little interest in the UK market. A few Autostars were ‘officially’ imported to the UK for a while in the early 2000s and there’s a reference to this here

https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/reviews/motorhome-reviews/autostar-aryal-9

I believe Autostar chose not to build right-hand-drive models, which must have had a negative impact on potential sales in the UK.

We are going to sell it, the magic has faded, yes we have spent over 6000€ so far, we cannot sell it until the thing is mended, it wouldn't be fair to sell it as it is. We did drop her off at a dealer recently, a dealer, camper garage, he has said that it isn't good and would not sell it, Ithis is garage number 5.

Did they replace the wiring loom ? Sometimes moving it when fitting other parts may look like the problem is solved (for a short time) Water ingress can cause problems to some components but Fiat are well aware of this 

Get your wiring loom changed and hopefully it should solve your intermittent problem. 

Archived